SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Possible Absorbtion Breeding Again??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Possible Absorbtion Breeding Again?? « Previous Next »

Pita
Weanling
Username: Pita

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We Bred our 8 year old ASB mare on 3/11, 3/13,and 3/15 she was out on 3/16,17. Came into heat 1 day on 4/17/07 bred her again. Teased her her for 2 days neg toward stallion. Checked her on May 11th, and she was in foal with a normal size Ves for the breeding of 4/17. Took Progresterone it was 1.6 so we put her on regumate 10cc for 14 days. We checked her last night and there is a 3.56 on her L. ovary. and her cervix is soft..We could not get a good look at her right because her intestines were full and hanging over that side.We tried trotting her and lunging her and even walking up to the trailer for possible Gas relief.. Anyway since her cervix is soft I am guessing she absorbed. We teased her but neg to the stallion, but then again we are giving her regumate. We are took her off reguamate, and I am teasing her tonight, and then we are going to try to US her again tomorrow because I have the vet out to Inseminate another mare. If we dont' see anything on this mares other side, how long after discontinuing the regumate do you think we could breed? should we short cycle? I want to make 100% obviously not baby.

JOs your opinions would be great. THis mare is breeding sound and her last foal was in June of last year.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes about a week for a mare to come in off of Regumate. I never give prostin to a bred mare unless I am 110% sure she is not in foal. Actually checking one today for the same scenario.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing one has to wonder about is the reported pregnant status, or at least how soon after the positive check she lost the pregnancy (they don't "absorb" by the way, the pregnancy will be lost through the cervix, not absorbed into the mare). I wonder about that as you are now at about 44 days from the approximate ovulation date, and after about 35 days of pregnancy and the formation of the endometrial cups, the mare is unlikely to come back into estrus until the resolution of the endometrial cups and associated secondary CL's... If she does have endometrial cups, don't expect a return to estrus until around 120 days or so.

How "soft" is the soft cervix? Soft enough to pass a finger through? If so, she must already be in estrus... the cervix relaxes in response to the increase in estrogen and the decrease of progsterone levels.

I'd start by looking very carefully at the uterus again with ultrasound to be absolutely sure there's no pregnancy there, as you say. Uterine tone starts to decrease a little after about 30 days, so don't be fooled into thinking "not pregnant" based on lack of tone alone.

If the mare has not developed endometrial cups and is not pregnant, then she should return to estrus about 3-5 days after the cessation of treatment with Regumate - although she may already have a pre-ovulatory follicle present as Regumate will not control folliculr growth. If you read the article on this site about Regumate use you will see my perspective on the whole issue. I'd encourage you to review your pre- and peri-breeding practices thoroughly to determine why the mare is losing the pregnancy rather than relying on Regumate to try and maintain an already threatened pregnancy... nothing I haven't said before... :-)... Start all over again with a thorough breeding soundness examination, and perhaps this time include an endometrial biopsy - it might well end up saving you a lot of money!

Pita
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks JOs, I appreciate it. We had to U/S 3 more mares on Friday so we U/S her again. She had a large 5 folical and her cervix was super soft Yes, put the finger through soft. We teased her and she would not accept the stallion, and normallly backs into the stallion. We didn't see any pregancy. there was no CL. In march of 07 this year we had her ultrasounded, cultured and cyptology and all looked great no cysts etc..

Having said this what would you suggest. SHould I u/s one more time in about 2 weeks? and then give her a shot to bring her in? I know I have to be 110% sure that she is not in foal because I could abort the pregnancy

Pita
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the article

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the cervix is already that soft, then the chances of pregnancy are low. Probably as you say it's best to check her again in a couple of weeks and see what is happening. That softness of cervix and absence of CL(s) is also suggestive that she has not started secreting eCG, so you may get lucky and be able to rebreed yet.

Pita
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THank you JOs.. One more question what is the earliest you would do a blood test for preganacy and when is it the most accurate.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eCG can be tested for at 40-70 days and has fair accuracy, but may give a false positive if the mare lost the pregnancy after about 35 days. Testing for estrone sulfate or total estrogens can be done with good accuracy from 100 days onwards. NEITHER blood test however will check for twins, so a mare should be ultrasounded at about 15 and 28 days of pregnancy to confirm lack of twins.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US