I have a young maiden mare that I am trying to get in foal this year. She is 4 yrs old. She has been showing regular heat since January. She passed her prebreed tests with flying colors. I took her to the stallion for live cover on the first signs of heat in April. He was able to cover her once very nicely and the second cover was ok but not the best. She then went out of heat and I brought her home. I took her to the vet on day 16 post cover, the ultrasound showed a possible embryo but too small to be viable, also showed that she had a follicle forming on the right and would be in heat within the next couple of days. I rushed her back to the stallion. She showed heat during teasing but when the stallion was introduced she would clamp down and not allow penetration. She allowed him to mount for 3 days without any penetration. On day 4 she wanted nothing to do with the stallion. I went and brought her home again and had a different (more trusted) vet once again ultrasound her. He stated no signs of pregnancy and a follicle on the left. He also had a stallion present in the barn and to verify his results decided to tease her. Once again she showed all the appropriate signs of heat so I took her back to the original stallion. When we arrived we tried teasing her and she wanted nothing to do with him and acted like a mare not in heat. They have two other stallion and we thought maybe she just didn't like the first so we tried to tease her with an older more experienced stallion with the same results. What do I do now? Do I give up for this year and assume she is just too immature still? Is she perhaps pregnant and I got 2 bad readings from 2 different vets? Help!
Nicole, from what I have been told, and observed with my own mares, a mare can be pregnant and still show signs of heat, so her showing some signs is not always an indication she is not pregnant. also, during a 16 day preg check the conceptus is not that small, I ultrasounded my mare at 12 days just to see if I could find it and it was there. I am not expert, this is my first season using an ultrasound (took the course 4 months ago) and my second season AI'ing mares, but if I was the stallion owner (which I do own a stallion), when I ultrasound I dont just look and say she is going in heat - its time to breed, I watch the follicle untill I think the mare is about to ovulate then insiminate. I have had vets US a mare, tell the owner she is ready to breed that evening, I US her and find her only at a 35, no where near ready to breed. (BTW I only do big horses) So from a stallion owners point of view I would have wanted to know how big her follicle was, ready to breed is not enough info.
I do not agree with using a stallion to verify things, some mares can act like they are in heat but its not a true heat. Having someone who specializes in reproduction do the ultrasound is the best in my opinion. Like I said I am no expert. Peolple ask me all the time why I dont do live cover with my guy, besides the obvious issue of the stallion getting hurt, there is also the question if the stallion actually finished. With live cover there are to many unknowns. But if I was you I would have someone who specializes in equine reproduction do her ultrasound.
I took my mare to the vet again this morning for another ultrasound and had a very thorough u/s done. We checked both ovaries and measured all of her follicles. She did have a 2cm follicle on the left. We did a antiboitic flush with a culture to make sure she was not retaining anything and clean. We all did a cell bx of the uterine lining. We will have results this coming Wednesday (May 30). Everything looks really good so far. My question now is do I continue to try and breed her this year, or possibly give her one more year to mature mentally--Could she just be shutting down? The vet did say she does look immature in physical appearance. We will be ultrasounded and measuring the follicle again on the 30th. Also would it be of benefit to give her a horomone boost and give her a shot of Postiglandin? Thanks Nicole
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: