SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Silent heat mare and shipped semen HELP!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Silent heat mare and shipped semen HELP!! « Previous Next »

Lisa M
Neonate
Username: Lisamm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off I have to say I really appreciate this website!! I have been lurking for over a year and now decided to join! I am sooo excited... anyways I have a 18 yr old mare that has been bred pretty much every year with shipped semen on her foal heat. Well this year she had bruising and fluid (from foaling this year) so my vet suggested that we infuse and clean her out and wait for the "30 day heat" to breed her... now here's my problem, she is a silent heat mare and you don't know when she is in heat, that is why her pervious owners bred her on her foal heat every year... so my question is.. we are breeding her with shipped semen this year and it's already getting late, should I take her to the vet 25 days post foaling so he can watch her follicle or what should I do?! I can't afford to not breed her as she is very valuable and the paid over $4000 for a stud fee for her this year! Any info would be great in getting this silent mare in foal!!!

(Message edited by lisamm on May 08, 2007)

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you have to take her to a vet? They don't come to you? Yes you need a vet to tell you when to ship the semen, even on mares who tease you should do this.

Lisa M
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we live 50 miles from our vet....

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, my vet comes to my farm several times a day. Today she is coming to palpate and open a mare, then back this afternoon to treat and close the mare after breeding then back again tonight to give a foal its 30 day plasma.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vets here in Texas very rarely make ranch calls. I know in California, it was the norm for the vet to come to you.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is in Florida and Kentucky too. I used to have show horses in Texas a distinctly remember the vet coming out several times for various things. The farm I kept them with never took their horses to the vet the vets were ambulatory.

Lisa M
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I live In Wyoming and there are not very many vets to choose from, pretty small place so the vets are always busy!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the outskirts of Houston, Tx. Being so populated, you can't throw a rock w/out hitting a vet. But, in the more rural areas I can see how getting one out may be tough. Probably not as tough as Wyoming!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US