SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help...don't know what is going on???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Help...don't know what is going on??? « Previous Next »

Jaclyn Wells
Neonate
Username: Jwells22

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purchased a mare last year that was 4months pregnant and ended up losing the baby. Starting breeding live cover end of march, came back into heat and had her ultrasounded this past Wednesday. Not pregnant, vet said that she is possibly a second ovulation mare, so breed her until she will absolutely will not stand for the stallion. Breed her on Wednesday, and tried to breed her Friday and she will not stand for stallion, tries to kick the crap out of him. And this is not like her, when she is in heat has not problem standing for live cover. Vet has said follicles were at 30mm and 20-25mm so start breeding that day, not sure what is going on. Totally FRUSTATED!!!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to ultrasound more closely but also confirm estrus (heat) as well - mares can and do produce follicles when in diestrus (not in heat) so follicular presence alone is not sufficient for an indicator on timing to breed. She could have follicles present, but not be in heat...

Jaclyn Wells
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teased the mare tonight, and she attacked the teaser several times. I keep a very accurate track of heat cycles and she was suppose to come in on the 19th & she did, and she was out on the 27th which is a usual heat cycle for mares, just a little frustrating because the estrus cycle before she was in for 15 days, and this time only 7 days. Could this be usual for some mares? Called vet to set up a time to ultrasound her again.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sounds as though she could have been transitional - and may still be, so your ultrasound should tell you something hopefully...

Jaclyn Wells
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had her ultrasounded today. Not pregnant, we are going to wait until next year because it is getting to late in the year. Vet said that if she is having a second ovulation during her heat cycle then we may need to put her on regumate. Can a mare change from having one ovulation to having two during a heat cycle?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diestrus ovulations are more common in the height of the breeding season - that is the natural breeding season, so end of May/June/beginning July. While we are not yet that late in the season, her behaviour is most decidedly absolutely normal.

Using Regumate is not going to help much in all probability, as mares can and will develop follicles and ovulate while progestin levels (which include both Regumate and her own diestrus progesterone levels) are high - she's doing it now! If you want to try and control the diestrus ovulations, use P&E (follow that link for more details.

If you are going to wait until next year, make sure you put the mare "under lights" (i.e. phototropically stimulate her) starting in November.

Jaclyn Wells
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure that I understand currectly. P&E will help induce estrus and HCG will aid in ovulation, however what will help if she forms another follicle and ovulates a second time. Sometimes it is hard to understand technical vet talk, I think that my vet said that she could have been pregnant with the first ovulation, however when the second follicle ovualates that could destroy any pregnancy that has already happened? My brain has been fried and not quite working right....

Jaclyn Wells
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or will the HCG cause both follicles to ovulate so that there is only one ovulation during estrus?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither :-)

If you have two follicles ovulate, you may end up with twins. This requires additional management (check out the articles section of the site for an article on twinning), but the good news is that it increases the chances of pregnancy, so it is a good thing - but must be managed correctly (mares are not designed to carry twins with any degree of success so read the article!).

Neither the hCG nor the second ovulation will impact pregnancy.

Jaclyn Wells
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if she is pregnant with the first follicle ovulation then she is pregnant, the second follicle when it ovulates will not affect her if she is already pregnant except that we could end up with twins if there is still semen present for the second ovulation. I think I got it.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct. Although to be technically correct, it's if there are sperm present that she may get pregnant from the second ovulation - "semen" is what is ejaculated in total, which contains sperm.

martha ann lear
Neonate
Username: Maggie

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI
I AM NEW HERE ON THIS SIGHT.SO I HOPE I AM DOING WHAT IAM SUPOSE TO DO.I NEED HELP.I HAVE GOT SEVERAL APINIONS ON THIS.I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD MARE SHE WAS BRED IN JUNE OF 2006.SHE IS DUE IN TWO WEEKS.SHE I SHOWING SIGNS OF BEING IN HEAT.AND IF I GET AROUND HER SHE PEAS AND IF YOU TOUCH HER BELLY OR TEATS SHE PEAS.AND SHE IS SWELLED.BUT I DON'T THINK SHE IS A BIG AS SHE SHOULD BE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS SHE GETTING BIG BUT NOT ME.AND OUR STALLION WAS VERY EXCITED WHEN HE GOT AROUND HER.SHE LET HIM SMELL HER AND TURNED HIS WAY.IS SHE OR NOT. TAHNK YOU VERY MUCH

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT IS possible that she is still in foal however breeding her again will cause her to loose the foal if she is. So keep her away from the stallion and have her preg checked. A preg mare can show signs of heat its a hormone thing.

martha ann lear
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI
I HAVE A QUESTION.AND I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME.MY MARE IS 8 DAYS PAST HER DUE DATE.AND I NOTICED YESTERDAY THAT HER FEMALE PART IS GETTING ALOT OF WRINKLES AROUND IT AND TONIGHT THERE A FEW MORE.WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? IS IT SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT?IS HER BEING LATE SOMETHING TO BE CONSERNED ABOUT? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.MARTHA}}

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha- the normal gestation period is 320-365 days with an average around 343 days..based on that 8 days late may not be late at all. There are many factors that can increase the length of gestation, unless your mare is over a full year's gestation, I would not panic about that too much yet. As for ther wrinkles, it is normal for the mare to relax and even be slightly open as their impending delivery approaches, sometimes you'll even see a small amount (dropletts) of bloody discharge and although I've not had a mare pass a mucus plug, I've read that they can/do. You can tell a lot by the udder development as well, when it looks very full and tight and there is milk down into the teats, THEN you'll know you are getting closer. Good luck and welcome to the board, Evalyne

martha ann lear
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.THIS IS MY FIRST MARE TO FOAL SO I AM EXCITED.AND WHEN SHE WAS PAST HER DATE I THOUGHT MAYBE SHE ISN'T.I KNOW THE WRINKLES WAS DIFFERANT CAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE ON HER.AND HER UDDERS AREN'T DOING TO MUCH THEY ARE GETTING ALITTLE BAGGY BUT THATS ALL.I HAVE HEARD THAT SOME DON'T HAVE MILK TO THEY FOAL.SHE DOES LOOK LIKE SHE IS SAGING IN THE BELLY.WHEN SHE GETS READY TO FOAL WHAT ARE SOME SIGNS TO WATCH FOR.I HAVE A CMRA ON HER.SO I WATCH HER AND SOME TIMES SHE ACKS LIKE SHE WANTS TO LAY DOWN AND SHE WALKS IN CIRCLES.AND LAST NIGHT SHE WAS STRETCHING HER FRONT LEGS OUT AND PRESSING DOWN TOWARD THE BACK.JUST LIKE SHE WAS GETTING READY TO SIT DOWN.WELL THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.I LOOK FORWARD TO HEREONG FROM YOU ON THIS.MARTHA

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha, I saw in your profile that you have minis. I came across this website a couple of months ago when I was doing a search on signs of foaling. They have some great photos that might be of some help.

http://www.crayonboxminiatures.com/foalingsigns.html

martha ann lear
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI:
THANK YOU FOR THE SITE I WENT ON IT AND THE PICTURE THEY HAVE OF THE FENALE PART THAT SAYS SHE FOALED I THINK IT WAS SIX HOURS LATER.MY MARE LOOKS LIKE THAT BUT HAS MORE WRINKLES THAN THAT ONE.AND NO FOAL YET.SHE IS 10 DAYS PAST DUE.AND LAST NIGHT SHE KEPT ME UP.SHE PASED THE STALL LAY DOWN GOT UP.STRETCHED HER BACK LAGS OUT.AND THEN PAWED THE GROUND AND SRETCHED HER FRONT LEGS OUT AND PRESSED DOWN ON THEM.I AM CONFUSED SHE IS HAVEING ALL THE SIGNS OF FOALING BUT NO ACTUAL LABOR.I AM GOING CRAZY WATCHING HER AT NIGHT.I HAVEN'T HAD A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP IN FOUR NIGHTS.THE OTHER NIGHT SHE WAS HAVEING BOWL MOVEMENTS THAT ARE LIKE COWS REAL SOFT..AND LAST NIGHT ALL SHE COULD DO WAS PEE OR SOMETIMES NOTHING CAME.IS SHE GETTING CLOSE OR IS THIS JUST A FALSE ALARM.I APRECIATE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET THANK YOU.MARTHA

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no expert, but she sure sounds close! How does her udder look? That's usually a telltale sign. When our mare started dripping, it was just a matter of hours.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha- she's giving you all the signs, but sometimes those are warm ups, like false labor in ladies. ( if you ever have had a child, you'll understand that ) Don't make yourself nuts watching her, keep an eye on the udder, that for me has been the most telling sign. If you check it daily ( morning and night ) you will most likely see a sudden change (notice I said most likely, they don't ALL follow the same pattern) in her udder, when that occurs, as a general rule, ours will foal within 24 hours of that change. GOOD LUCK, Ev

martha ann lear
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.HER UDDER IS NOT DOING MUCH IT IS BAGGIE BEFORE YOU GET TO THE UDDERS .
I NO MY NEIGHBER HAD ONE LAST YEAR THAT WAS OUT EATING NAD WHEN THEY PUT HER UP WITH IN AN HOUR SHE HAD FOALED.BUT THEY SAID HER UDDERS DIDN'T HAVE ANY MILK WHEN THEY PUT HER OUT.SO I DON'T KNOW.SHE ACTS DIFFERANT EVERY NIGHT AND I THINK THIS IS IT BUT NO.I WILL TRY NOT TO GO CRAZY.THANK YOU MARTHA

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M- I've seen mares that didn't have milk come in till after the foal was born.. it can happen. The behavior your mare is doing is perfectly normal but they can do that for weeks before they foal so hang in there. :-) Ev

martha ann lear
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI EVERYONE
I HAVE A QUESTION.MY MARE STILL HAS NOT HAD HER FOAL.SHE ISN'T GOING TO BE 12 MONTHS TILL JULY 1st.but i have been checking her udder and it seems to me that it hasn't got the baggines in front of her udder has it had.and she is looking like her sides aren't as big but it is still saggy on the bottom of her belly.and there is no change in the look of her private part.can she be haveing a false prgnancy.i hope not.but she hasn't come into heat she did a month or so ago act like it but it only lasted a day.maybe it is just me waiting and worrying.i guess i am hoping she doesn't do like my neighber she bredd her mare in may last year she never came into heat again and still hasn't and has not had a foal either.so i am thinking the same thing.hope you can give me some help i need all i can get.thank you so much martha

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only sure way to know is to have her checked by a vet.

Valerie Myers
Neonate
Username: Libertybelle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaclyn and Jos, Hi. I have had several mares with babies but they were bought while already in pairs. This will be my first time for breeding and going through the whole thing from beginning to end. I understand that this was a hard breeding year for everyone. My mare was live covered on accident 5 years ago with no problems during gestation or foaling. I just bred her on purpose this time and it wasn't an easy process

Valerie Myers
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked a nice little stallion and took her up to him. He happened to be standing at stud at a friends place. I am trying to breed for color as well as confirmation. Well, the little guy who is 4 yrs, first time standing,didn't work out. They couldn't even collect from him, they had to pull him from the line. I had to find another stallion and ship semen in. We waited almost a month but the mare came out of pasture so didn't come in heat after 28 days, so we brought her in. Shipped semen in and she was inseminated within 2 days of her heat. She had a 33cm follicle all looked good. First sonogram at 16 days, she was open, but old follicle still present.. weird. Waited a week, brought her back in, shipped semen in again, inseminated her again, new follicle at 35 cm, old follicle still there but receeding. I was worried about twins and maybe having to pinch, but next sonogram she was in foal and old follicle finally receeded. We're gonna hit 30 days on Friday for a 2nd sonogram and hopefully a sweet little heart beat!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valerie,
We will keep our fingers crossed for you let us know if you see a heartbeat:-)

Valerie Myers
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'm keeping everything crossed! It's taken about 6 weeks longer than originally planned because the live cover didn't work out. Then she had a little trouble coming into heat so we had to help, then the first try didn't work...She's finally in foal but I will feel better when I know we got a little heart beat there!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the same boat last year....It took 3 AI tries. I remember the feeling everytime the ultrasounded and she was not pregnant my heart would sink, and when finally she was in foal and would not take a deep breath until I saw the heartbeat...so I feel for you.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Valerie, but I had to laugh. I've been trying to get one of my mares pregnant for three years now...I got a chuckle out of the 6 weeks comment.

Valerie Myers
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok ok, but i was just expecting her to get pregnant just a little faster..LOL

GOOD NEWS! WE'RE PREGNANT! 2nd try at AI worked we got a sonogram at 30 days and a heartbeat!! I'm excited!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valerie,

I am so very excited for you! What an exciting year! I will look forward to your 2008 posts on your mares progress.

Valerie Myers
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'll post as we go. We'll have a camera and a webcast going as we get closer. Gonna try not} to think about it too much hoping that will make it feel like it's going faster!

Valerie Myers
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Jan, I was able to round up one of my kids to help with pics, if you go to the "another colour question" thread I added the website to the stallion I'm using and some pics of my mare, though they aren't great ones. I'll add better ones later as she grows with baby! They are on my last post.

martha ann lear
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI EVERYONE
I HAVE A PROBLEM HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME.MY MARE THAT I ASK ABOUT EARLIER .IS OVER TWELVE MONTHS DUE SO I AM GUESSING SHE ISN'T PREGNANT.BUT SHE STILL HASN'T COME IN HEAT.IS THERE A REASON FOR THIS?AND MY OTHER MARE HASN'T COME IN AT ALL THIS YEAR?I AM NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON.WE BRED MY MARE LAST JUNE.SHE NEVER CAME IN HEAT AND STILL HASN'T DOESN'T MAKE SENCE TO ME.I HAVE A STALLION THAT IS IN THE STALL NEXT TO HER AND IS IN THE PIN BESIDE HER WHEN THEY ARE OUT DO YOU THINK IT IS BECAUSE SHE IS USE TO BEING AROUND HIM AND DOESN'T FEELATRACTED TO HIM.I DON'T KNOW.JUST GUESSING.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.MARTHA}

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha,
I have had some problems breeding all my mares this season due to them not coming into heat...not even a foal heat. I asked another local breeder, and friend, in my area, and she said that non of her mares came in and so she hasn't bred a single one. I finally managed to get two mares in foal, LC, and the other mare we just bred AI....as she was silently cycling...I have the U/S pictures of her building a 40 mm follicle and of ovulation: In my 10+ years of breeding I have never experience anything like this year. Now I have to wait until the 13th to see if she took...I'll have to take out a loan to do it again if she didn't take...this was our second try. Even if I had wanted to LC her I would have needed the vets help, so you might want to have a vet look at her to see if she is producing anything that is breedable. Good luck. -Ivy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US