SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant Mare looking for answers!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Pregnant Mare looking for answers! « Previous Next »

Gayle Howard
Neonate
Username: Ghoward

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a mare 10 mos ago. I was told she was not bread. But she is getting HUGE! she was fat when I got her but she is HUGE now. The lady I bought her from phone has been disconnected and I have no way of contacting her. When she delivered Whisper to me she said she forgot her papers (she is a registered racking horse or so I am told) and would send them to me. I never recv'd the papers and called her a few times she said she would get them to me but now I can't reach her and I have moved. The papers really don't matter to me unless I wanted to sell her and I don't. Anyway she has had 2 prev. foals she is 10 years old. My main concern is when I bought her the only stud on the property was her SON! I was told there was no way she could be pregnant but seeing as the lady can not be reached and I have moved 4 hours away from her and can not even remember how to get where she lived. Which is all irrelevant at this point. If indeed she is pregnant what are some of the complications I could be facing? And then how far along could she be. I am assuming it would be soon since I have had her almost 10 mos. I will try to take some pictures tonight so I can post them. I am just really looking for some piece of mind more than anything. Any feedback will be welcome. Just not sure what to do at this point. I do have a Vet sched. to come out early next week for shots and stuff but not really anything he can do at this point if she is pregnant.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just have him palpate her. He will do this through her rectum. He will be able to feel a foal this way. Let us all know what is going on. There are so many knowledgeable people on here. All your questions will be answered!

I was in the same situation. I found out my mare was pregnant at 10 mos. Get all her shots, this will help with foal immunity.

Good luck!!!!

Gayle Howard
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will he is supposed to be out the first od next week for thier shots, so I will have him check then. Until then here are some pictures tell me waht you think. Thanks again it does ease some of the anxiety being able to talk to other people who know about horses. Thanks again and here are the pictures.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/V.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/udder3.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/udder2.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/udder1.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/Rearview.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/Whisperfront2.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/whisperfront1.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/Whisperside2.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ghoward7361/Whisper1.jpg

E Watkins
Yearling
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gayle- my first thought when looking at your photos were that your mare just had a grass belly. The last couple had me second guessing though. Her udder isn't doing much but if she is indeed bred she'd have to be within 6 weeks or so of foaling based on your owning her for 10 months. I agree with Jane, just have her palpated and then you'll know for sure. With the father of the foal being her son, that is done sometimes (on purpose) although I don't personally recommend it. We have a mare that is a product of such a cross (accidental breeding of the mare by her own sire which was not discovered until DNA was done on the foal) She's ok, but I think she's a bit slow witted at times compared to her half siblings out of the same mare. With your mare being a paint and bred back to a paint, I don't know what the issues might be for lethal white causing problems. Some of the folks who breed paints will have to explain that and the chances of it showing up as I'm not very knowledgable about the LW factor. Good luck, which ever way things come out! Ev

Gayle Howard
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too thought she was just fat or like you said a grass belly. My other horses have been in the same field and are not near as large as she is. When I look at the pictures she doesn't look as big as she does in real life. BUt I am still wondering. I did figure out what day I actually had her delivered it was on June 17th. So if she is pregnant it would have been some time before that. I thought she was in heat when they brought her. So maybe she was bred just before I got her. WHo knows if she was it would be due within the next month or so. BUt I will find out for sure when the vet comes out next week. I really hope not, but I will deal with whatever happens. Thanks again for your help

E Watkins
Yearling
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gayle- if she was bred prior to you getting her (on that cycle) you could expect a foal about the first part of June I would think. (keep in mind that would be based on the latest time she COULD have been bred. I think getting her checked is wise, just so you know what you have to look forward to. Ev

Michelle Towers
Neonate
Username: Montana1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on tenter hooks reading this what did the vet say was she in foal or not?? We lived in Australia for a while and brought a foundation QH mare who wasnt suppossed to be in foal - she too got huge upon the vet first seeing her her first thoughts were that she was in foal upon palpation she turned out not too be.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US