SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Possibly Still Pregnant some thoughts or insight

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Possibly Still Pregnant some thoughts or insight « Previous Next »

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year this particular mare failed to get pregnant after 3 attempts. Left her for the year because it got late in the season. This year before starting I wanted to do every test in the book as not to waste my money. We did blood work which all came back normal. Asked my vet to do a Cytology biopsy and he said not to bother because he said he thinks she has no problems in this area. Her exam revealed all to be well inside and initial swabs all came back clean. Fine ok. So bred mare on the 29th of March. She was in transitional stage of her cycle and we did regumate for 10days and PG'd on the 11th. Mare came into a very strong heat on Tuesday afternoon the 27th. Was bred mid day on the 29th. Still had a very strong cycle. Was given HCG (I think that's the shot to help them ovulate). On the 30th had not ovulated as of morning, but was out of season in the afternoon and next day would have killed teaser. So Saturday the 14th we had her scanned. Vet checked her briefly and said he couldn't see any pregnancy. This was day 16. I of course said that I was not happy we hadn't done the tests I had originally wanted as I don't want to be messing around the whole breeding season. Also he said there was no sign of her coming back into heat. There was no fluid and all looked well bar no embryo. So in the meantime decide will take mare down to stallion on Monday and leave her there. But to be honest I'm really not convinced she isn't pregnant and have scheduled another ultrasound for tomorrow. Probably going to sound stupid, but she is not acting like an unpregnant mare. I've had this mare a long time and know her every mood. She is not tolerant of the other mares as usual, she tried to attack my gelding this evening when we tried to tease her and wanted nothing to do with him. This never happens when she is not pregnant even when she wasn't in heat. She only has this kind of behavoir when pregnant. So am really hoping this baby is a couple of days behind. Any thoughts or advice of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terri

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follow your gut and hang in for the preg. check before doing anything radical (like swabbing)... and remember that YOU are the one paying the vet to do the job, not the other way around, so if you feel that the check is too rushed, request that it be performed slower. If there's a problem with that, get another vet. Pregnancies (and twins) are missed through poor ultrasounding, and it's you - the mare owner - that is going to have to deal with the consequences, not the vet...

:-(

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, Jos, that is a message that we all need to hear more often. I think we tend to defer to the vet's opinion despite our better judgement all too often. We, the owners, know our mares better than anyone and we do need to trust our gut and speak up to our veterinarian about our concerns.

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my gut instinct wasn't right. My vet came did a better exam, took swabs(all clean), and she was irrigated. Yesterday we took her to the AI clinic and she was bred. Funny enough they called me for permission to stich her. I say funny enough because after 3 foals I asked my vet last year if we should be doing a caslick on her. I felt maybe things weren't as tight anymore. Maybe that's stupid, but how and ever, the vet down there said she doens't think the mare will go in foal without a caslick. So she now has one. I'm a little annoyed to think this could have been resolved last year with something so simple. Anyway what's done is done and hopefully now my mare will be in foal.

Thank you Jos for your insight. I am usually more adamamant about things but then tend to think I'm a know it all pain in the toucas so I try not to be so annoying. Think I'll try a little harder to be adamant, but yet not annoying if that's possible.

Terri

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things still sound a little wonky.

They took swabs, then irrigated her? Why did she need a Caslicks? Did they find air or fluid?

Did they confirm her in-foal before they put the caslicks in?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it isn't adding up for me.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caslicks everything, better safe than sorry. For instance I am breeding a mare in the morning, taking her breeding stitch out at 6:30, breeding at 7:30 and putting caslicks back in aroud 10. We will also infuse with antibiotics. Then in 5 days.....Regumate.

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri- I hope that your mare catches and that the sutures will resolve your problem. It is hard to think about the past and something easy; but like you said what's done is done-and you'll never really know if it would have helped or no. Good luck and let us know when she checks out in foal *crosses fingers for you*

Cathy-just curious, but-why would you take out the sutures to breed and then put them right back in? (I have always done AI so the only reason we take them out is for delivery.) I am only wondering for my personal curiosity why not take them out, breed, wait for preg check and then put back once in foal?

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All,
So here's the update, mare is not ovulating. I have had her down at the stud farm since last Tuesday, 10 days so far. The vet there says not to worry and they will "keep following the egg" whatever the heck that means. Really getting frustrated at this situation to be honest.
And yes, mare has been found to be sucking air which is why they want the caslick.
So really no good updates.
Terri

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri dont lose heart, maybe it wont be long now! 10 days, something is bound to happen in the next couple days!

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Mare finally ovulated yesterday! She had fresh semen on Thursday. She's been washed out, sown up, and back home now. So now we wait for 16 days!

Terri

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fingers and toes crossed for you Terri!

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to let everyone know, my mare was confirmed pregnant on the 14th of May. So yeah, we finally got there!

Terri

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri,

Congratulations! Great News! Now just the long wait ahead! make sure you keep us posted on her progress!

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great!!! I always like happy endings.

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just thought I'd update on my mare from last year. She is at 297 days pregnancy and has had no problems whatsoever. Looking forward to new baby but am sort of dreading the whole breeding thing again. I hope she doesn't do this 11 day ovulation thing again. I will have to say I can't complain about the costs here in Ireland. Mare cost me 145euros for keep and all vet work while down there. I will be sending her back to the same place but am using a stallion from the continent so things will be pricey if she decides to take her time. My regular vet here doesn't think there will be anything to worry about.

Terri

Joyce
Yearling
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyed reading your story, Terri! Thanks for the update. Congratulations and good luck! Let us know how it goes, can't wait to hear!

Joyce

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri,

You are in the home stretch! Very exciting. Keep us posted on your mare. I hope for a safe delivery of you foal.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Terri. Welcome back, and congrats. So what breed is your mare, and what is her due date?

Terri Berwanger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene,
My mare, Stella, is a TB but she's a National Hunt TB meaning she is bred for steeplechasing. We breed 2 types of TB's over here. Typically they are larger,bigger boned, and slower to mature than their flat counterparts. She is now 9 and is expecting her 4th foal. I breed her to Dutch Warmbloods typically. She is in foal to Iroko who stood in America for a while as well. She throws really nice types and am really looking forward to this baby!

Terri

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry you mare sounds great. Do you have pictures of the mare and Iroko? I would love to see pictures.

My mare is also a bigger boned TB mare. How tall is your mare? Do you have pictures of her other foals?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 823
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also want to see pictures! :-)

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Terri, She sounds georgous. Do you have any pics you can share with us? When is she due????

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri,
Yes, I also want to see pictures, mostly have a safe and healthy deliverey!!!!!

casallc
Neonate
Username: Casallc

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread brings to mind something that happened over 20 years ago. I was partners with several Vets in large breeding farm, although I was not a vet, I did all the collection and insemination of the mares. The vet palpated the mares and would say which to breed and pass. One of the vets own mares was teasing at 15 days since her last breeding date. He palpated her and she had a large soft follicle (he said). Later after I had collected the horse and was inseminating mares, I came to his. She had a caslicks so I had to breed her through a speculum. When I looked at her cervix it was high and tight as a button. I didnít breed her because she looked pregnant, to me. When the vet came back from farm calls I told him what I thought. He was visibly upset. We were one of the first farms in the state with an ultrasound so I challenged him to check the mare. Sure enough, she was pregnant. I wish you could have had a slice of the humble pie that we shared in the office latter.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Love this story! That will show them!

Good for you!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US