SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

16 Year Old TB Mare - Is she in transition

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » 16 Year Old TB Mare - Is she in transition « Previous Next »

Jarad Mason
Neonate
Username: Jwm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 16 year old TB mare that has been barren for 2005 and 2006. I purschased her last summer so not sure why she was barren those two years becasuse she has had 7 foals before that time period. Anyway I put her under the lights on November 1st until a few weeks ago after the time change. We have been palpating & Ultrasounding this mare every 8-10 days since Feb. 1st and she has not grown any folicles. After the first palpation on Feb. 1st we gave her the shot to bring her back into heat but it did not work. After that we decided to lay back and just keep checking her. Its been two months and no progress has been made, is this mare in a transition period because of the time of year? I noticed all of the foals she has prior to when I purchased her were foaled in ethier April or May so that tells me she may be a late breeder. Any thoughts or opinons??

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prostin will not work on mares who have not ovulated (in transition) How is she teasing? You have n idea why she was barren? So if you do get her in foal you will not know if she is a Regumate mare or anything? Perhaps call the old owners and ask, now that she is sold they should have no problem coming off with the truth.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transitional phase is a likely issue, especially if you are in the northern parts of North America. Many mares do not routinely cycle and ovulate until April or even May. An ultrasound and/or progesterone assay series will help you find out if she is indeed ovulating yet for the year.

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in south louisiana so not sure if she is still in transition. I called Louisiana State University and talked to one of the vets there, he reccomended putting her on regumate for 10 - 15 days and then getting her checked. I also had my local vet do some blood work to check her thyroids and we found out her thyroid levels are low. We will be taking her off of the regumate tomorrow, wish me luck.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to you Jarad! What parish do you live in, I am in Tangipahoa, I have three mares acting like they are going in & out. I am taking one to a friends to breed to his stud and breeding the other two to my stud on their next heat.

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dianne
I am in Vermillion Parish. We decided today that we are going to bring the Mare to Folsom tomorrow morning to let the stud farm work with her as she finishes off the regumate. We dont want to take the chance of missing her cycle and I am hoping that being around the studs will maybe help a little also. I am really hoping the regumate works and she finally produces some folicles.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jarad...Folsom is about 20 minutes from my place! Being around the stallions should help her out. What stud are you breeding to? Which farm is he on? My vet does alot of equine work in that area, Dr. Cooper, he is the vet for the training center in Folsum. Good luck to you!

(Message edited by mamaedwards on April 24, 2007)

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am breeding her to My Friend Max, we dropped her off this morning at Double Dam Farm. He is a really impressive looking stud, Royal Strand looks great too. I think Dr. Cooper does Camelot Farms vet work also becasue I picked up my other mare this morning from Camelot and I had a bill from Cooper Mobile Vet. I think the thyroid medication and the regumate should help her out. Her coat and overall condition has really improved since she has started the medications.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jarad that is him, he is the best in the area I am told. I think I remember seeing Camelot Farms. I am not familar with the studs, post some pics of your mare and stud if you can, would love to see them. Good luck with the breeding hope she takes on the first try!!! And dont forget to post while your waiting on foal and pics of the baby!!!

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ended up breeding her to Global Mission, she had a good folicale and breed well but did not take. We will check her once more tomorrow to see if we can get her breed again before mid june. Its sad to have such a nice mare that is so hard to get in foal.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US