SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Open mares that have milk in udders

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Open mares that have milk in udders « Previous Next »

Suzanne Hopf
Neonate
Username: Suznhopf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 04 and 05 I attempted to settle a mare that had formerly had three easy breedings and foaled out in 01,02 and 03 without incident. We could not get her settled. In spring of 06 I noticed she had milk in her udder. Not much, but enough that I could easily express some fluid. We sold her open in fall 06 as a riding horse. In O6 I had a different mare that foaled out without incident, we did one AI attempt in August 06 and did not check her as it was late in the season and the stallion was leaving the facility where he was being collected. She did not appear to come into heat, but had a foal by her side and had not shown heat previous to the AI. We did P&E on her and ultrasounded and gave HGH when we bred her. The other day (March 07) I noticed that she too has some milk in her udder now, 7 months post breeding. One side is clear amber colored fluid, the other is actually milky white in consistency and color. I had the vet palp her yesterday and he stated she was open. What I would like to know, is whether milk in the udder if fairly common? I did a fair amount of breeding in the 80's and never noticed this before. However, now my mares tend to do double duty and get ridden between foals, so I have more chance to check these things - as opposed to when I bred in the 80's and we rarely did much with the mares between foals and thus would not notice these kinds of things. Could anyone out there enlighten me about this?

Colleen Beck
Weanling
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzanne, I have heard of this happening, but I didn't think it was common. Maybe it is more so than I thought. We had a newborn foal who was a milker. We noticed soon after birth that her nipples were engorged and hot. We could express a little milk and that turned to pus. We treated her for the infection and all was fine, but her nipples were always large - like a mare who had foaled before. You could always express fluid from them. The vets just scratched their heads on that one.

Cconner
Weanling
Username: Cconner

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzanne, how old is your mare? I have a 20yr old that milks all of the time. I actually acquired her in 2005 when my mare died after delivery and Granny (the now 20yr old) had lost her foal 3days prior to me losing a mare. Granny ended up raising our foal and we kept her. Anyways, we weaned the colt in November and in Feb we noticed she still had milk. I bred her in April of last year and she has had milk through out the entire pregnancy and is 323 days today. Everything has went fine as far as the udder and milk situation goes. I am not sure how common this is but when we had her checked at the vet last year when we first noticed the milk, she checked out fine and the vet was not worried at all. Good luck and maybe someone else will post some more info for us on the subject.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US