Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:39 pm:
Hi all. OK, I've got a puzzling mare here. It's a long story, but I'll give you the condensed version: 7 year old (this year) maiden mare. She was bred last year, late in the season. AI dates of 7/28 & 7/29. This was done at the breeder. She was ultrasounded, confirmed in foal with only one embryo. She continued to stay at the breeder, was checked again at day 35, still in foal, and I brought her home the following day. About a month later, she showed signs of heat and I thought that she possibly was just one of those mares who continued showing heat while pregnant. I waited a little while longer, until she was about 110 in foal and had the vet ultrasound her. Vet said she was no longer in foal and her uterus appeared to be full of air and it looked like something she'd never seen before. She recommended that I short-cycle her to bring her back into heat to do a culture/biopsy. So I did. Culture came back negative, biopsy a grade II. I stopped giving her grain as soon as I found out she was not in foal, (she's a very easy keeper), and she basically has pasture in summer and grass hay in winter. Now, the past few weeks she's starting putting on weight. She's getting larger towards the back of the barrel and normally she's a very fit looking mare. I can't help but wonder if she actually is pregnant. I know the chances are slim to none, but could it actually be possible that after everything she went through, she could be in foal? She'd be about 6 months along right now and she's just barely sticking out side to side, but towards the rear of her barrel has definitely increased in size within the last few weeks. Here is a pic of her 2 summers ago: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/justafarm/Cassie5-1-05.jpg Now here she is yesterday: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/justafarm/Cassie2-27-07.jpg Like I said, no where near big, but a definite increase. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry this was sooo long!
I only added the pics for the heck of it. I know my chances are VERY slim, or even none, but my question is: Would it even be possible for her to still be in foal after everything? I'm doing bloodwork today (estrone sulfate), but it'll be atleast a week until that comes back. Meanwhile, I was just wondering what everyone else thought? Any ideas?
I'd rather do the bloodwork. Less invasive for the mare and at this point, if she actually still is in foal, I'm not going to be too happy with my vet. Also, I work at a vet clinic (small animal), so I can send the bloodwork out and it'll be cheaper to do that then have the vet come out.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: