SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Two follicles - one ovulated, 2nd one regressed

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Two follicles - one ovulated, 2nd one regressed « Previous Next »

Michele
Weanling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, if on a mare's previous season there are 2 follicles and one ovulates at 4.5 and the other stops developing (probably regressed, but wasn't able to u/s until it resolved so can't guarantee it), would the mare still be able to conceive successfully?
Are her chances of conception lowered due to the 2nd follicle not ovulating/regressing?
Is this always a sign of transition only?
She is day 16 now and is starting to show to the stallion so it looks as though she is having a 'normal' season, just wondered how 'fertile' it would be?
Am going to use MCT AI to try and minimise any chances of further infection.
The mare is a problem breeder; had pyometra in the past and biopsy results give IIB grade.
Thanks.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is normal for two to start. I think one usually stalls out at 2.5 and the other develops.

Did the other get larger than 3?

Michele
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sharon

Yep, it got to 4.6cm. That was the previous cycle, this cycle she had a follicle in each ovary: LO 4.5cm, RO 4.7cm which ovulated. The LO follicle seems to have developed into an AHF. I believe it's still possible for her to conceive on this??

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I read on the article on this, if she concieves on the RO egg, she should be ok.

The problem would come in if she doesn't concieve and the AHF persists.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is perfectly normal and in fact predictable that mares will have multiple follicles, of which one will become dominant and ovulate and the others regress. They undergo "waves" of follicular development, with one (or sometimes more than one) becoming dominant and ovulating.

The biopsy score is your bigger concern with a likelihood of a live foal of only between 10 and 50%.

Michele
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thanks for clarifying that Jos.
I know, the biopsy score is depressing and disheartening. I am not holding my breath but, being an eternal optimist as far as the horses are concerned, I'm hoping that Wednesday 14 March will be my lucky day! Hold thumbs!

Michele
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jos, I need your expert opinion here please:-)
The ''IIB uterus'' mare was confirmed in foal 14 days post ovulation. However, the foetus was small(?) for it's age and the vet thought perhaps she'd had a second ovulation on another follicle a day or so later and taken on that ovulation instead of the first one as it looked more like a 10 - 11 day old conceptus than a 14 day old conceptus.
He scanned again today, and the foetus had grown to approx 6mm (almost doubled in size). The mare has been on Regumate as per vet instructions since 5 days post-ovulation.

My question is - why would the foetus be small for it's age, can it catch up, what are the implications?

Obviously I'm thrilled that she's 'in foal' but now have the harrowing wait to see if it grows and implants... He's going to scan again in 10 days time.

Many thanks for any answers and input you have, much appreciated-
Michele

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People get hung up on conceptus diameter during early pregnancy, but seem to forget that the ultrasound machines themselves have a 4-day margin of variation built in in their estimations! If you look at the screen, you will see it says "14 days +/- 2 days" - so in other words, the u/s machine itself is saying that the conceptus on average is estimated to be somewhere between 12 and 16 days of age!

I don't lose too much sleep over conceptus diameter as long as:
  • There is no uterine edema present;
  • There is no irregularity of shape if the conceptus is less than 16 days post-fertilisation (17 days and beyond loss of shape is absolutely normal);
  • There is no indication of a breaking down/separation of the layers of the conceptus.
Having said all that, with a IIB uterus, you're still a long way from a live foal... :-(

Good luck! :-)

Michele
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok thanks for clarifying that. The conceptus looked fine, just 'small' according to the vet however not according to my research which you've just confirmed.
I'm treating it as a minor miracle that she even conceived after never having a confirmed conceptus in 8 yrs - but not holding my breath about implantation. Just another step in the emotional slog to try and get a foal from her but feel that we are getting some answers. Thanks again!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US