SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Question for Jos

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Question for Jos « Previous Next »

Rhonda Bock
Weanling
Username: Bitznspurz

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos, I was just reading your article about gestation periods, and understand about horses not really being over due...

My question is this: My mare is day 346 today...At days 341 to 343 she was showing definate signs of pre labour. Laying down alot, biting @ sides, kicking at her belly etc...She dropped on day 342, and the baby is in position.

She also had quite heavy breathing while down..

Now for the last 2 days and nights I havent seen a thing? havent seen her laying down, the odd stomp or tail swish, but nothing now?

Should I be concerned? or is this normal?

Her bag is full and shiney, but no wax, and this is her 3rd foal...

Thanks Jos :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot comment on your animal specifically, as there may be other factors to which I am not privvy that you are perhaps not noticing or reporting.

As a generality though - based upon your above description - I would not have any particular concerns.

Rhonda Bock
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much :-) I dont think I should worry either..I think its a little earlier in the year than her last 2 foalings, so that could be why shes hanging in there...

I was told once the baby has dropped it could take a week or more...I will wait...and if it gets to a point of worry, I will call my vet to have a lookie...

Thanks Jos :-)

Rhonda

Teena Bain
Weanling
Username: Bluejay

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this is question for Jos.. I have one...I posted earlier about a mare with heat type behavior after being told she was in foal (3 times). Even palpated in foal. You suggested I have her checked again. I did and that was the forth time. As I suspected she was not in foal. .

The vet said she aborbed it.. It would have been the size of a rabbit when she insisted she was in foal and she felt it on the R horn..We have seen nothing and she has been in area that it would have been found. Seems to me this would be too big for her to absorbe?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Absorbtion" (aka "absorption" or "reabsorbing") does not happen!

Any pregnancy that is lost will be lost through the cervix. Granted if there is fluid associated with the loss, that may be absorbed by the mare, but tissue is going out through the cervix.

Rhonda Bock
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos..me again lol...Ok not sure if you remember a while back this same mare, I was asking about mastitis?

Well I noticed today, that here left teat, the same one I was having troubles with in the past, was enlarged quite a bit more than the other one...so I called my vet, and explained the situation to him, and he has prescribed her apo sulfa tabs...shes done 2 cycles of excenel before, and Im thinking it didnt rid her of this infection...

My question is, do you think that if she was to foal tonight, while just starting her pills, that the baby will not get enough colostrum, causing the foal to be septic?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lack of colostrum will not specifically cause septicaemia in the foal, it is as a result of the lack of passive transfer and the coming into contact with a pathogen against which immunity is not present that septicaemia occurs.

Having said that, we recommend that ALL colostrum be checked, and ALL foals be checked for IgG content (achievement of passive transfer) and supplemented if low levels are observed.

If there is a lack of colostrum availability as a result of a compromised udder, FPT is a distinct chance.

Rhonda Bock
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, If she doesnt foal over the weekend, my vet is going to come out for a check up on her...

thanks again :-) your knowledge amazes me ! :-)

Teena Bain
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos. I had a gut feeling this mare was not in foal in spite of the vet insisting (three times) she was.. The first clue was the odd shaped vesicle to begin with at 19 days post ovulation. I like to see the nice perfectly round vesicle in there.. I believe she got in foal then lost it long time ago.. The vet I am using is a reproduction vet and brand new at it. Unfortunately her error cost me a lot of money and time. I like her. She just needs more time in the field and think outside the books… Books are a great way to get started…

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vescicle is not round and regular in shape at 19 days! I would be more likely to be concerned if I saw a regularity of shape at 19 days than not, as it might suggest that I missed the timing of the ovulation!!!

At about 17 days, the vescicle starts to lose regularity of shape - the timing is predictable almost to the day. Below is an example:

16-17 day concpetus

Teena Bain
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is very good imformation.. I have been told by all the vets you want to see a nice round shape. Might be that I am checking at 14 to 16 days? And, I could be wrong on the day I had this mare checked too..I will check my calendar.. I will be using another vet here soon to see if I have the two I just bred in foal.. I want someone who knows what is going on.. Timing is too important to us..

I am hoping to get this mare bred for early foal next year..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US