SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant or not, that is the question with my Arab!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Pregnant or not, that is the question with my Arab! « Previous Next »

Kristi Shaffer
Neonate
Username: Wranglerred

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help! I've got a 15 year old Arab that has a history of "appearing pregnant". When our ranch originally bought her at auction we were told she was pregnant... as it turned out, she wasn't, she just had this metabolic issue with certain feed that would cause her to "blimp" and appear pregnant, but not actually /be/ pregnant.

Now she's doing it again. She was out in pasture with our herd over the summer months (June/July) and all of a sudden started blimping on us. At first we thought it was just hay belly given she wasn't worked regularly. Over the last few months she has her good days and bad, meaning there are days when she looks like a double-wide, and other days when she doesn't look pregnant at all. My farrier said that on her last shoeing she was upset over having her rear hooves brought up towards her belly to put on the stand; supposedly a sign of pregnancy. Some of my coworkers have sworn they could see something moving, yet my boss mistook her ribs as a possible hoof. (She's got the typical Arab sprung ribs.) I have yet to see motion or feel anything at all, and when I bring her rear hooves up towards her belly she stands quietly for me. Plus she hasn't gotten any bigger.

So to finally end the ranch debate as to whether or not we're going to expect a Mu-'rab (given the only studs out near our ranch are the wild burros.) I called out the ranch vet, and paid out of my pocket, the cost to have a pregnancy test, given I'm in the process of buying her. The vet did a typical exam going in through the rectum and was rather perplexed. Internally she feels like a normal, non-pregnant mare, meaning nothing on the inside has dropped yet like it should if she were a month along, however when he went to check the right horn he found a large mass there... it wasn't defineable as a fetus (perhaps the tail end of the foal was his guess) it hasn't moved into the uterus, and the ovary is still behind and a normal size.

He's not sure what it is, as he's never felt anything like this before, but is advising to treat the mare as though she's pregnant. I told him there was no way she was only a month along and we discussed the potential of it being a mummified foal. There doesn't appear to be any leakage, vaginally, but I'm also unable to be with the mare every day to be certain of this.

We go for weekly rides, her and I, and her spirits are fine as are her energy levels. However if she's truly pregnant it puts a kink in my purchasing her.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Can anyone recommend a good website, a vet that specializes in this sort of thing? Should I seek a second oppion from a different vet, or have an ultrasound performed? My funding at this time is limited, and the most frustrating is while I haven't paid for her the ranch isn't interested in putting the money into haveing her checked to see exactly what's going on with her; they're just running under the assumption that she is, just like the vet is. I'm concerned it could be a cycst. And if it's a mummified foal how long will the body carry it before finally expelling it? Is there any way to terrminate a pregnancy? I really want a 100% answer, not this, "I'm going under the assumption that's a foal I'm feeling.".

Kristi Shaffer
Neonate
Username: Wranglerred

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind. The manager took her in to the local surgical facility when he was taking in his six month old filly and the Doctor there confirmed she's not pregnant, but has cancer. She's been turned over to me to live out the rest of her days with someone who loves her and appreciates her, and will make sure that when it's time the right thing will be done.

I think I'd prefered she'd been covered by a wild burro.

Lori Coleman
Nursing Foal
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer of a deal, Kristi. Sweet thing for her that you're going to give her a good home to live out her precious days. I just love Arabian mares...

Lynne Kuehner
Neonate
Username: Shenandoah96

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristi,

Sorry to hear that. At least you are willing to do the right thing. Enjoy her as much as you can!

Kelly Bowman
Weanling
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristi,
You have a big heart and it is so great to hear you taking in this mare for the rest of her days! I know when you look into her big expressive eyes that you know you did the right thing.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US