SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Fungus on leg/insol vaccination,pregnant mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Fungus on leg/insol vaccination,pregnant mare « Previous Next »

Corrie
Neonate
Username: Corrie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I inoculated my mare against fungus. (10 months ago). Normally she would need a new vaccination, after 9 months. But the vet said, I shouldn't do it, when she was pregnant.
Well, she is pregnant now (8 months), and she is developing spots on her hindleg again, I'm afraid her leg will eventually swell up, and get septic.
What is the best treatment ?
She is 20 years old, pregnant for the final time since she was barren for 12 years.

(Message edited by corrie on January 27, 2007)

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you just topiclly treat the fungus and wrap it/keep it clean?

Corrie
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried last year, just got worser and worser.
I was hoping that there were some good fungicides around, which are safe to us for the baby, and still gets the job done .

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you tried cowboy magics "Krudbuster" it worked really well for me on tail itch and rain rot. (well...not actually ME, but my horses!! )

Corrie
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I'll see if I can find this Krudbuster. Thank you for the suggestion.

Becca
Yearling
Username: Becca

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try head and shoulders shampoo and mix tea tree oil which you can buy in some fuguside shampoos at eckerd or cvs pharmacy i have had no luck with other products as i had a terrible fungus year last year and this mix worked good and fast. Head and shoulders helps dry it out and tea tree oil does wonders. Hope this helps i wouldnt wrap the fungus as that could keep it moist and help it grow it needs to be kept dry.

good luck

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 512
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corrie try this product as well. I have used it for all the applications and it works well. For fungus it only too two applications and the fungus was gone. But be carefull not too use too much as it will burn the area as well.
http://www.shapelys.com/omtg.html

GREAT PRODUCT!!!

Corrie
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've ordered Krudbuster, and I could try Head and shoulders with tea tree oil,
however the product you mentioned Lori, is probably not available where I live.
At the moment I'm using a mixture of Betadineshampoo to scrub it clean, and Micomycine. But last year after several weeks, it got worser and worser, even with this method. I don't know what the toxic effects of mycomicine on the foal are.

I've checked Head and shoulders information, and it is used as a shampoo for the treatment of fungus. So maybe this one could work. I'll buy a bottle tomorrow.

I had no intention of wrapping the leg up.
I;ve checked the insol vaccination, and it wasn't recommend to use for pregnant or lactating mares.

At the moment the leg looks stabile, and there is no heat or swelling, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thank you all for your ideas, I'll let you know if it succesful or not.

(Message edited by corrie on February 01, 2007)

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever tried a medicated sulfer/tar shampoo? You get that from your vet practice. Makes their coats great!

Becca
Yearling
Username: Becca

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good luck corrie i wish you the best. fungus sucks i had it real bad last year on my foal and was real nervous to use any products on him because he was only 4 weeks old and got the fungus from his mom. I used several concoctions (spelling?) and finally my vet said to try the head and shoulders and put some tea tree oil in with it and it cleared it up lickity split. Head and shoulders is used by pregnant women so it should be safe for pregnant horses.

Corrie
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This response is for everyone, who gave my such good advice. Thank you very much, but the Krudbuster and Head and shoulders worked. Her leg is fine now.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US