SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare doesn't cycle

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare doesn't cycle « Previous Next »

Danni Schultze
Neonate
Username: Danni

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine has a very nice mare who doesn't cycle.
She is trying to sell her because she thinks it's useless trying to breed her.

She has been checked by a vet and it has been determined that she is severely lacking in testosterone. She has had testosterone injections to no avail.

Is there ANYTHING we can do to get this mare breeding?
Time is of the essance as there is an prospective purchaser coming to view her on Saturday.

I would really appreciate ALL input on this as my friend is desperate to keep her if possible.

TIA
Danni

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare has really been checked for testosterone and found lacking and been "supplemented", I would strongly advise finding another veterinarian immediately before doing anything else with this mare!

Testosterone is a male hormone, and if given to a mare it will shut down her cycles.

If you want to review what it was she was checked for and supplemented with and find it was something other than testosterone, please post again for more commentary.

Danni
Neonate
Username: Danni

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos,
it was definately testosterone that she was supplemented with.
This was 2 years ago and she is still not cycling.
Would you say that is because of the testosterone?

she was not cycling before she was treated with it.

Do you think there is anything we can do for this mare?

Danni

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Testosterone (or anabolic steroids) are sometimes given to mares while racing with the idea that it will make them faster. Whether it makes them faster or not is questionable, but it certainly shuts a lot of them down reproductively.

Typically there is nothing much that can be done to assist these mares in returning to cyclicity. Some do in a year or two, some don't. You can try domperidone and GnRH treatments such as are outlined on the BET Pharm web site (see foot of this page for the link to them), but that is not a guarantee.

If a veterinarian gave these drugs to the mare in the belief that they were curing an infertility problem there may be room for legal recourse, and you could consult a Theriogenologist and an attorney to discuss that more. Testosterone is most certainly not a standard treatment for a mare.

J.R.Hamilton
Yearling
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOS,
I got 1 for you... coming 5 yr old mare... totally maiden mare ( intact hymen upon 1st culture as a 3 yr old ), cycles on a 21 day cycle like clock work, obvious and in heat 5 full days with normal functioning ovaries ...follicles produced and released on the morning of the 4th day everytime - I Track all my mares to know their history and it does get expensive, but after 30 yrs of breeding horses .. it's worth it ). ANYWAY NO abnormalities whatsoever in repro organs conformation, condition of uterus or ovaries or tubes, etc ..no odd conditions of fluid or tone, pooling etc. NOTHING. AS a 3 yr old and with 1st culture. ..she came up with "scant psuedo, and klep. and insignificant e.coli." Treated ;and same results came back 3 separate times. Treated with appropriate uterine influsions of correct meds 3X.
Decided to let her go thru til her 4th yr...nothing changed her 4th year..same C&S results... treated again 3X.
This breed can mature slow, however here we face the 2nd year of getting ready to breed her.
Because of warmer weatherand everyoine under lights . .. my mares are still cycling strongly like clock work.
Would would cause a maiden mare to show up with this kind of C&S results and not respond to RX's.?? ESP with all hormaonal lab work normal and everything functioning perfectly. Am hopeful as was suggested by breeders and VETs in UK that indeed age does make a difference specifically in this breed , but have never had this issue with any oif my mares before , regardless of the breed before.
It's always "insignificant growth" with a lovely follicle just waiting to get fertilized.
ANY suggestions on anything or treatment for this year ????
I have live cover and AI available at anytime as I own my own very fertile stallion just wanting to get at her.SHe going out to be started under saddle early FALL regardless..lovely dressage candidate.}

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US