SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

12yr old maiden mare can't get in foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » 12yr old maiden mare can't get in foal « Previous Next »

Michele
Weanling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly would be considered a full work up on this mare to find the reason why she cannot conceive after 5yrs of trying? i.e. exactly what tests would she need? I have spoken to various equine vets who do not think hormone tests are accurate as the levels fluctuate and one needs to take do so many.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might include any or all of the following:
  • Uterine biopsy and culture;
  • ultrasound;
  • palpation;
  • reproductive conformational evaluation;
  • karyotyping;
  • hormonal profiling (multiple tests are required, but it may be of value).
How old is the mare? Has she ever had any foals? How closely has she been managed during the breeding process? Has she been bred repeatedly to the same stallion or different stallions? Has she been monitored post-breeding?

There are a lot of questions that should be asked!

Michele
Weanling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is a 12yr old Appaloosa who has never had a foal or been pregnant. There is no record of 'infertility' in her bloodline or in the breed here.

{BTW, don't know if it could be related or not, but she has suffered from PEH for the past four years which has been treated regularly and the last time she was, it was just about gone. We were really concerned as the discharge had not stopped completely for years and so another vet suggested a sample be taken from the top of the nasal passage and two bacteria were found, Equi zooepidemicus (in abundance) and I forget the other at the moment. The initial vet said they're common and ab's are totally necessary. We didn't treat with ab's on his advice. Then for the past three months, the discharge has become almost non-existant.} After doing some research, discovered the E. zooepidemicus in the uterus is one of the primary bacteria which cause mares not to carry foals. The vet reckoned that it would be almost impossible for it to get from her nasal passages to her uterus though.

Initially at 5yrs of age chilled semen AI was used once on her with no success. Then a year later a different frozen semen AI was attempted six times. Clincially mare looked 100% (no fluid in uterus, uterus tone fine and no problems with reproductive conformation or cysts etc) and failure was put down to her being inseminated mid-Autumn, being a maiden mare and 33% success rate of frozen semen.

Then, live covers have been done for the past four years unsuccessfully to the same stallion who is very fertile and has produced other foals.

I have kept records of every season for the past six years. Due to not having access to a vet to scan regularly I have had to really hone my ability to measure/time seasons - including ovulation - with all the mares and while I know it's not scientific it has worked 100% for all the other mares bar this particular one.

Some of her seasons are short, some are long. She ocassionally took 7 days to ovulate. For the past 2/12yrs she has come into season, been covered and then not come into season again for +- 6 months. Initially we erroneously assumed she was in foal.

Last year she came into season mid-Spring, was covered and didn't come into season again. When the vet scanned her, she had an AHF of about 7cm which had not resolved before the end of summer. Her uterus looked clean (no fluid) and the tone was fine on palpation however her ovary seemed uncomfortable or painful. Another vet suggested removing the ovary if the AHF's persist.

In 2006 she was covered by the stallion on her second season nearly 1 week ago. She had showed for 3 days and on the 4th she was covered in the a.m. as we assumed she would be ovulating within the next 24 - 36 hours. The next a.m when teased she had obviously ovulated as neither she nor the stallion were interested in the other. Due to living far away, it is not possible to have her scanned regularly from day 14 onwards.

They don't seem to want to do hormone assays as they reckon they fluctuate & one has to do so many of them, and they think an exam consisting of a scan, palpation and smear (to see if there is fluid, to feel the tone of the uterus and see if there are any bacteria present) are sufficient to tell whether or not she can carry a foal. That's why I wanted to know exactly what a BSE consists of because I feel that this isn't a normal case and needs more input.

I have even wondered if maybe she and the stallion are genetically incompatible but have been told that is very rare and not likely. I've never experienced it in the breed.

Don't really know what to do, I only know I'd like more than anything for this mare to produce a foal...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US