I have an 11 year old appaloosa mare. She is in good physical shape, is healthy. She is fed very well and has all of her shots and wormed regularly. So I know that it is nothing that I have done in that aspect.
My mare has had a foal in 2002, 2004, and 2005. Her previous owners said that she had 1 or 2 more foals before that. I never asked about any breeding problems when I bought her, they said that they always pasture bred her. She was in foal when I bought her. At the time we really weren't into breeding. Then we bought our stallion and it has taken off pretty fast.
We bought her in 2003 and she was in foal for a 2004 foal. Her 2004 colt was born on April 12th. We missed her foal heat that year, we tried to hand breed her 1 time that year and she didn't stick. At that time all of our other mares were in foal so we decided to pasture breed this mare. She stuck!!! And her 2005 filly was 2 weeks early on May 17th. Since her foal was born later in the season we hand bred her 2 cycles, and thought that she stuck. We had her checked in October and she was not in foal. Our vet thought maybe she had an infection or something (but there was really no reason for him to think that). We did have her cultured and it came back neg. In the spring we tried again 2 times (March and April). Still no luck. Then our vet came back out and cultured her again, still neg. Our vet did a sonogram on her and she thought that their may be a small amount of fluid in her uterus. We bred her, then had her infused and the necxt 2 days we had her on Oxytocin. We tried that until June, then with no luck yet, we had her levels drawn. Our mistake was when her levels were drawn she was in heat, and her levels were low. Our vet started her on Regumate (June and July) and still no luck! after this we were so tired of everything. We spent a lot of money and it seems like we got no anwsers (the vet says everything looks great inside, and there is no reason that she shouldn't get bred), it seems like the onlything that we gained out of this is now our mare isn't scared of the vet!
Someone this fall told me he had the best luck with mares like this when he just put them in the pasture with the stallion and just let nature take its course. What do you think about this?
Anyone that could offer suggestions I would really appreciate it.
I would start with a breeding soundness examination - including a uterine biopsy and culture - performed by a veterinarian that specialises in the reproduction (a Theriogenologist). Although this might be a little more expensive than having your usual vet do it, it may in the long run be the cheapest investment you make in breeding this mare! The fact that your veterinarian apparently made the decision to put the mare on Regumate even though there was no reason to (progesterone levels should be low during estrus), makes me wonder if there wasn't a certain amount of "shotgun effect" treatment going on (i.e. well, let's try this and see if it helps).
The most common cause of pregnancy [establishment] failure in the mare is endometritis. Pre-breeding evaluations, and peri/post-breeding treatments with ecbolics (such as the oxytocin protocol that we use) can make a huge difference with those mares.
How much oxytocin were you using, how often, and for how long? Often too much is used for an insufficient duration. We (and many others) have had excellent success following the protocol I linked to above.
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:26 am:
If she takes when pasture bred why not let her go that way? I see no problem with it and its definately cheaper. We pasture bred many of our mares without a problem.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: