SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Infection we can't clear up?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Infection we can't clear up? « Previous Next »

melissarainey
Neonate
Username: Minnie8827

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 10 year old morgan mare that we purchased in November that we tried for 4 months to breed to our stallion. She has no trouble coming into heat every 21 days or so but she never got pregnant. We had the vet come and ultrasound her and he said she felt pregnant but she had about a liter and a half of fluid in her and not pregnant. He cultured her and she had a strep infection. I took her to the vet's house and he infused her twice without any relief of fluid, tried giving her oxy shots and another shot that starts with a L, can't remember right now the name and nothing. We tested her fluid to see if it was urine backflowing in and it wasn't. Her cervix is tightly closed and we can't seem to get it to open and release the fluid? Anyone out there had anything like this and what did you do or try, what worked and what didn't. The vet has tried hard but doesn't know what else to do and he is talking to Michigan State but hasn't received any info yet. She must be uncomfortable to be rode she is kind of nasty during her heat, can't blame her, but this has caused a year of no foal, she is maiden too, and I have lost a few months of riding her. Any help would be great, thanks missy

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does the fluid look like on the ultrasound? Black or grey? If it is black, that suggests that the fluid is sterile - but also note that a mare that is pregnant will evidence black fluid (which is within the yolk and/or allantoic sac depending upon pregnancy stage). If the fluid is grey or black with little white specks in it, that is suggestive of an irritant being present, and may also indicate that the mare has pyometra.

Typically, a lavage rather than an infusion is called for where there is a larger amount of fluid present. A lavage is where a sterile fluid (such as sterile saline or lactated ringers solution is run into the mares uterus and then back out again. One would keep running clean fluid in until what was coming out was as clear as what was going in.

In order to breed the mare with a greater degree of success, you will need to confirm not only the absence of a pathogen (per a uterine culture) but also the absence of inflammatory cells (see the article on uterine cytology on this site). You will also need to pay close attentino to the mare's uterus during estrus both before and after breeding per ultrasound confirming absence of fluid. It will be necessary to deal with any such fluid with the use of another lavage (if a lot of fluid is present) or the use of an ecbolic such as oxytocin. We lay out an oxytocin protocol that we have found very successful in that linked article. We will use the protocol in mares that we deem susceptible regardless of uterine fluid presence (or not), and see a higher success rate in those susceptible mares as a result.

melissarainey
Neonate
Username: Minnie8827

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did try the oxytocin and something else that starts with a L, Lytite? that was supposed to help her get rid of the fluid and it did nothing she had just as much in there as she did before. I am not sure what color the fluid was but I know it is an infection, strep the culture said. The vet was going to try to lavage but the cervix is so tight that he can't get a tube in there. He did try to infuse her with saline and penicillen but it didn't do any good either. We did live cover her but the stallion we used was also a maiden so he should not have had any issues. I think she has had the infection since we bought her. She expells a regular amount of fluid when she is in heat and i have two stallions so she comes in regular, she urinates the most in the barn but I know she isn't retaining urine in her since we tested the fluid he did pull out.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably "Lutalyse", which is a prostaglandin product, which has a similar action to oxytocin in this regards (causing uterine contractions). Unfortunately, it has about the same half-life as oxytocin, so it won't have much of a different effect than the oxytocin.

Simply identifying a pathogen in the reproductive tract does not mean that the pathogen was actually a causative agent of a problem. About 43% of swabs taken from the vagina will identify a pathogen when cultured, but the majority of them will not be a problem.

In order get fluid clearance with with oxytocin (or prostaglandin), the cervix muxt be relaxed! In order to achieve that, one must have a mare in estrus (heat) or anestrus (no cycling at all). Attempting treatment without a relaxed cervix is a waste of time and energy, and putting more fluid in in the form of an infusion is simply going to add to the troubles even if there are antibiotics in them.

The fact that the stallion had not bred a mare does not mean that he did not introduce a pathogen at the time of breeding. Pathogens are present in the environment, and the whole breeding process is dirty - no matter how hard one tries to keep it clean. That's what the mare's post-breeding inflammatory response is all about - it clears those pathogens introduced at the time of breeding.

Take another look at the recommendations I made above - I don't feel that perhaps even those that were used have been given an adequate chance to achieve what they could/should... :-(:-)

Beverly Maul
Neonate
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see how to post a new topic on here. Might have something to do with my webtv. Anyway I thought I'd add it to this topic in hopes someone might help me. I have a mare that has only had one foal & is 6 yrs old. I tried all summer to get her in foal to two different studs with no luck. Vet cultured her last fall while she wasn't in heat & said she was clean. She also said her progestrone was low. I have since read that you can't get an accurate result on culture when they're not in heat & that progestrone can be low do to infection. Done another culture on her this spring & she has Staph but it's a strain I've never heard of. It's called Staph cohnii...Is this more serious than others? Can it be passed on? I was sure she was ok since vet said she was last fall & I didn't want to miss this heat cycle so started breeding before I found out she was infected. Vet came out & infused her once with broad spectrum antibiotics & gave me two does of oxytocin to give her. Her last breeding was Monday & she infused her on Tues. What are the chances she'd still get in foal or did she need to be treated more than once? Vet said her cervix was starting to get tighter so I didn't have her infused the next day as she couldn't even get a through enough to culture her last fall. She should have known all this. Anyway any advice would be appreciated

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US