SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New game plan for difficult mare, will it work?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » New game plan for difficult mare, will it work? « Previous Next »

Graciela
Nursing Foal
Username: Graciela

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Case history:

We attempted to breed my 19 year old mare via frozen semen twice this season. She has not had a foal since 2003. I have had her cultured and biopsied and she is clean and is in excellent shape. She seemed to have an anovulatory follicle on the first try. The second try went perfectly. She was inseminated within 2 hours of ovulation, the vet used 3 doses and the sperm was of good quality. The mare was flushed before I brought her home. The vet came out at 17 days post breeding, she felt pregnant when she was palpated but nothing showed up on the ultrasound. I thought about trying one more time, but it is pretty late and my vet didn't seem to think it would be successful this late in the season. So...

I am thinking of using a different stallion and breeding her via live cover as early as I can next season and then trying again with the frozen stallion during the following year's foal heat. I am hoping nature can kick her system back into gear.

This mare was being leased for this breeding season, so I am hoping that letting the person have the chance for two foals out of the mare would help settle up for this year's disappointment?

(Message edited by graciela on October 09, 2006)

Michele M
Neonate
Username: Qtrs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a 17 year old maiden mare, never would settle, several stallions over several years. We got her to settle by putting her out to pasture with the stud. We left her with the stud for a week +/- and she took. Little different senerio than yours, but I think sometimes letting nature take it's course is the best way to go. Good luck!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graciela:

I would check the mare's pregnancy status again before doing anything drastic. While she may not be pregnant (and perhaps was undergoing EED at the time of the palpation), pregnancies are at times missed... :-)

The hypothesis that live cover breeding has a mysterious ability to sort out problems is - unfortunately - not viable (I wish it were that easy!!). You need to figure out what the issue is, and deal with it specifically. Assuming that the mare is indeed not pregnant, start the new breeding season with another breeding soundness examination; you may wish to contemplate changing stallions (in case there is a stallion incompatability issue), or you may wish to give the current one another go; but the biggest item I am not seeing addressed is the possibility of either a non-relaxing cervix, or delayed uterine clearance issues. My guess is the possibility of the latter issue being the more likely cause, and would strongly recommend following an oxytocin protocol following breeding - and before it if indicated. This is a simple, easy and cheap protocol that can have remarkably successful results.

Michele - take a look at the Breeding Myth-Information article on this site - the scenario you describe is discussed there... :-)

melissarainey
Neonate
Username: Minnie8827

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frozen semen is very tricky to use and if the vet isn't thawing it correctly it will be bad and won't work. Three doses is a lot. I had a vet try to use frozen for me several years ago and they didn't know what they were doing and it cost me a foal that year and a ton of money. Before you blame the mare I would make sure the vet understand the process of frozen vs. fresh.

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe your mare is having difficulty producing pregesterone, so maybe give her Regumate 5 days post ovulation, and if she is then in foal make the decision to keep her on it.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Low progesterone" is greatly over-rated as a cause of pregnancy loss (as any theriogenologist will tell you). Take a look at the article on this site entitled Does my mare need Regumate? for further insight. New research is strongly suggesting persistent low-grade endometritis to be a major contributory factor to incompetent CL's, and the use of a few dollars-worth of oxytocin at the time of breeding may preclude the need for a few hundred dollar's worth of Regumate during pregnancy!

I would look at other issues before looking at progesterone/Regumate use... :-)

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I give my body weight in Oxytocin but when I am facing the end of breeding season (June) and one of my better mares is not in foal I pull all the punches. She, as all my horses do gets Ovuplant, tons of oxytocin post breeding, flushed, then started on Regumate or P4 5 days post ovulation. Went 3 for 3 this year doing that.

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
You may rememeber my posts from earlier this (late) summer. I have a 13 year old (was maiden last year before we ai'd her) that went open after our first breeding attempt that year, then using the oxytocine protocal took on the first try this summer, but lost it to eed. nothing the second try that summer using oxy and then our last attempt we used regumate 3.5 days post ovulation and I am looking at a 5 mo. pregnancy. I did read the artical on overuse of Regumate, I know your not a huge fan. Just wondering if she could have had another issue that required the use of the Regumate instead of low progesterone....it did seem to work. Interested in your thoughts.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My inclination would be to suspect a cervical competence issue. She may have had an injury to her cervix during a previous foaling or breeding, and that is affecting her ability to retain the pregnancy. The Regumate will close the cervix a little tighter, and that may make all the difference!

There are a handful of mares that genuinely have low progesterone - I would never say there were not - but they are few and far between, so although that may have been the issue with your mare, the chances are that it was something else...

Whatever it was though, your mare is pregnant, and that's the main thing!!! :-)

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She did have an issue with her cervix not being fully open when she was ready to be inseminated. She has never foaled before so I don't think its due to foaling injury ;) But I suppose she could have been pasture bred by a gelding and hurt somehow? She did get hung up on a half door as a 3yr old....maybe that did her some damage.
The vet did one progesterone test on her early this year when they thought she had a small conceptus for the date and the level was right in the middle of normal. She lost that conceptus, but a proper progesterone assay was never run. So, I guess I shrug my shoulders and keep smiling for today!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US