SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Third time was the charm

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Third time was the charm « Previous Next »

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I have been reading and keeping up with all of you on the board but not posting as I have been struggling all summer to get my mare in foal. She is one that delivered a full term foal that died due to lack of oxygen at birth. We have AI'd three times and I am happy to announce that we have a U/S confirmed pregnancy. This time around we short cycled her, I moved her next to a studdy gelding, my vet used SETTLE, antibiotic douche the day after insemination, and oxy protocol. So in two weeks she will do a heartbeat check. So for today I will just be happy with my photo of a black hole. jan

Jennifer
Weanling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Jan! Believe me I know the feeling. It took me all of last season and my last breeding date was July 31st. She is now on day 66. She was checked at 48 days and I saw a bouncing thing that looks like nothing to most, but heaven to me!
Now if I can just get over the Gypsi moth problem on my property then, then I can relax. I've had to destroy some beautiful cherry trees, but I can't take the risk. My fingers are crossed for you. Cheers!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jennifer....and congrats to you too!! I look forward to following you and your mare through the journey, but I am sorry to let you in on a little secret...even when every last Gypsy moth is dead you won't be able to relax...there will be something to cause you anxiety during your mares gestation.....so here is to us because we will be the last to deliver next season...

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how you both feel. We started breeding in March with this one mare. We have bred her and bred her and bred her and bred her. The last breeding was in July and she finaly took. We have check her twice and she is holding, But we go in for another check in a few days. Heres hoping she is still holding the pregnancy . We have been through a lot with this mare. She is 13 and a maiden. She got pregnant the very first time with no problems but lost it at about 70 days or so. I hope she hangs in there this time.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie,
Fingers and toes crossed and good thoughts your direction. Rejoice in the moment. She is pregnant! I know when you have that special mare and you want a baby from her it is heartbreaking when it doesn't work out. Please let us know how your next check up goes! You will join Jennifer and I in the late part of the season. Glad to have your company. Jan

Jennifer
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, were are the late ones huh? I just hope we are all here together come late may! I am keeping fingers crossed. Kassie, I can't imagine getting to day 70 and finding her open. That is my nightmare, and Jan...I know, I will never relax. I constantly worry she has ingested one Gypsi moth catepillar and it will cause problems. I just have to hold on to the thought that it took this long, she HAS to make it all the way there. Naive...I know. PS I have a 13 year old Maiden (until last year) morgan. How similar to you Kassie!

Michelle Lyons
Weanling
Username: Chelle

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well ladies I will be joining you in the late foals My mare is due anytime and will be bred again this fall after she has the baby. just because it was the deal I made with the previose owner. but the next one will not be mine it will be theirs. so happy thought all the way around hope we all have a good year next year.

Jennifer
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle,
That is a late foal! Breeding back to the same stud?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome aboard Michelle. Hope your mare's delivery is safe. Are you going to try and catch her in her foal heat? You must live on the west coast with me:-) I'm in California and the weather is still nice in the fall. My mare always goes to a year so I will be looking for a middle to late August baby. Good foaling vibes Michelle. Jennifer I will be here cheering you on in the late May.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

Well I am delighted. Just returned from the barn and a visit from my vet. Ultrasound showed a strong heartbeat and the little guy was moving. We are at day 31 and on our way. My vet performed a caslicks. First time for that procedure but after losing this years foal at birth with a uterine infection we are not taking any chances. Thanks!

Michelle Lyons
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no ladies it was an accedent that she got prego adn it seems she may not have it until Oct. not sure when she caught any ways I am in Okla and we are getting blankets and such for the baby so it will not get sick and we are bulding a speacial place for baby. No it will not be to the same stud. The stud she is bred to now is my black breeding stock paint. And she will go to a differant place to be bred hopefully in her foal heat. Thanks for the well wishes and I hope all of you have good birthings.

Jennifer
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on the heartbeat Jan! Don't they wiggle ALOT for a group of cells! My mare gets her 88 (to be exact) day check on the 25th and I am a nervous wreck. I keep watching her to see if she is still Peeing alot. She seemed to start to do that alot when she caught and stayed (as of yet that I know of!) I check her stall for extra wet spots like a dork. What breed is your mare Jan, I wanna say you have Paints, but I don't remember. Michelle, keep us posted on the foal heat breeding.:-)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jennifer, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you and your vet date on Monday. I am sure your mare is in fine shape. My mare is a Paso Fino. What breed is your mare? My mare foaled in 2003, my beautiful Paso gelding, and then in 2005 she foaled a filly that was a red bag and DNS. So this is a much wanted foal. So I with you will be on the anxious boat for the next year! I will be looking for you post on Monday.

Michelle...October is almost here! Keep us posted!

Kassie,
Any news on your mare?

Michelle Lyons
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks I will keep everyone posted and ctossing my fingures for you Jennifer hope you have good news.and yes congrats Jan on the heart beat. I am alittle scared sbout the foal coming in Oct but That is how it seems that it will go. so wish for good weather for oct.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan yes we did check my mare and to my joy she is still pregnant . We got to see the heart beat and the neck and head. It was awsome. Things are looking good here. I will be checking her again in about a month or two. Hope everyone else is having good luck with their mares.

Jennifer
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on the still pregnant mare Kassie! Jan, I have a morgan mare that has a long long mane, tail and forlock (well she is a broodmare!) so, much like the paso look. I call her my wild pony. She is due for her bridle path trim. I am keeping my fingers crossed as well, I will post Monday to let all know if she is still ok! Kassie, how far along is your mare now?

Jennifer
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you interested...Jan and Kassie... Indy had her 90 day on Monday and she is still pregnant! Got her 3 month shot and discussed Regumate with the vet, they feel we should just keep her on it until 150 days. They say "why risk it, then for sure the placenta will have taken over". I bought a whole darn bottle so may as well use it!!! I feel relieved that she still looks good to go. So cheers and lets keep fingers crossed for all!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoop Whoop! Doing the pregnant dnce for you Jennifer. So happy to hear your good news. We are at day 40. Last year I kept my mare on Regumate till day 150. That stuff is expensive. This time her uterine tone looks so good we are not giving Regumate. How is the battle with the moths coming? Is the Morgan the mare that is in foal? I like them. I call my Paso my over 40 horse..nice smooth ride. Real people pleasing horses and sure footed. Now for the long stretch till the next pregnancy check.

Kassie- so happy for you that you got to see the heartbeat. What a joy! Heres to us and the late foals! Jan

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer congrats on the still pregnant mare. You don't realize how precious the pregnant mares are until you have one that is hard to keep pregnant. We took Kadi off of regumate after about 30 days and she is still looking good. I sure hope she holds.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear the mares are doing well.
I think my mare may be one of the first on the forum to deliver...she is due mid Feb. Already a bit over 6 months!
OHOOOHHH, it's gonna be hard to wait. I love foaling season :-)

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope I have about 6 due in January!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Heather and Cathy we will be excited to see what '07 brings to you both. Other people success raise us all up. You guys only have 4 or so months to go! The only nice thing about a summer foal is the long warm evenings I don't envy the winter nights that you will have to endure.
Take care- jan

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather I also have a mare due mid Feb. looks like we will be on foal watch together. How exciting. I have another due in mid April. Those are my two early birds lol. The other three are in June. I am so excited about next years foaling season I can hardly stand it. It should be tons of fun

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
Jan....NOW that you say about "4 months or so", it feels so CLOSE!!!! I hadn't thought about it that way :-). Now, I'll be on the countdown....
Ohhh, we don't worry about those "winter nights"...down here in Houston, TX that is an oxy-moron. Just in case, I do have radient heaters that have mounts in the barn ceiling. Just having them gets me a lot of geering from others!
Most likely, it will be in the high 50's to 60's when she foals.

Kassie...you and me girl! Tons of fun and waiting is NOT by strong suit :-). Thank goodness (for my sanity) Grace foaled this year at 327 days, and a huge boy at that. Been wispering in her ears to keep that trend rolling.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol. I know how you feel. Was she a maiden this year? I can't remember. My mare that is due in Feb. was a maiden last year so this will be her second, she went 327 days also and it was a colt. I hope she stays with the same game plan lol. I liked it a lot, she did everything to a T. She waxed about 24 hourse before foaling, she even got a soft stool the day before. I had bred her to a palomino stallion and hoped for a palomino filly, I got a sorrel colt . I still loved him. But this year I bred her to a Cremello (no questions about color) and I am wanting a colt. so lets see what we get. I plan on showing this foal in halter classes as a weanling next year. I can't wait!!!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, 2006 was Grace's maiden foal. This to be her second. Like yours, she was "fairly" textbook. Except, she went in/out of early labor for days....what a headache. But, when she foaled, wow....talk about writing the book..she could of done it. Went from a bubble to baby on the ground in 4 minutes flat! Darn near spit him out with lightning speed.
This year, she is bred again to a bay stallion, so my color options are bay, brown, or black. I put my orders in for a bay filly....

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bay's are beautiful, but as far as dark colors go I love Browns. I don't knwo why lol. Something about their color is so odd. I have a bay mare and a brown mare. My personal riding horse is a bay. I plan on breeding her next year. She is 3 this year so it would be her first. I only have two maiden mares this year the other three are old pro's at this. But Dalls (the one that had Flora this year) Had trouble with delivery, I waited 10 minutes and she could not get the shoulders out, I finally went in and pulled her out. I was so thankful I was there because flora was HUGE she was the size of a 2 month old at birth. I realized I could have lost Dallas and Flora if I had not been there. That makes me even more deterimned to be at all the foalings. And that means even more sleepless nights lol.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie,

Brown's are my favorite too :-). Always wanted one, ....well, now I have 3!
If you like brown, you will like Grace. She is a classic seal brown, and her colt is a bit darker than her.
Here is a pic of them together when Buddy was about 3-4 days old.
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/P1010038-2.jpg[/IMG]

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is very pretty. She looks just like my girl Dallas, except she looks a lot taller, and also a lot better figure lol.
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/1Dallas%20034.jpg
Dallas is bred to a Champange stallion I am really hoping for a Classic or Sable Champagne colt. I sure hope I get one.
Browns one of my favorite colors. I would like to have another one. When I bougth this mare they were calling her a black, but I knew she was not black. She is registered as a bay but I don't see it lol.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US