SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Whatkinds of breeding dummies are people using ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Whatkinds of breeding dummies are people using ? « Previous Next »

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have decided that our stud will be ready to go to the rodeos next year, and consequently, we think we would do better with AI than our current live cover program. We have collected him several times but the Dummy at the vetís is in a very tight little breeding room and it tends to cramp his style. He is a much more aggressive breeder at the vetís than he is at home. We would like to build him a dummy at home in a wider space that he is the only stud to breed with hopes that my sweet stallion will learn that he can treat the dummy with the same respect that he gives his mares. I know the dummy set up at the vetís works for him but it's not the best, so as I go shopping, or start working on plans for a phantom, I was wondering what other people are using.

Chris Taylor
Weanling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I built a phantom using the plans on here "Power pole phantom" worked well. I have since built one for a friend as well. Excellent plan.

Solaris
Neonate
Username: Solaris

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have used this plan too, we have four stallions all verying in height from 15.2 to 17hhs and its working well now that they have all adapted to it.

Barbara Lewis
Weanling
Username: Baraka

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a commercial slant ended phantom, which works very well. However, I wish it had "hips." My stallion was apparently taught not to hold the mare with his teeth and tends to constantly "grasp" with his front legs. Quite frankly, he does this whether he's breeding a phantom or live mare. I tend to brace my elbow against the phantom to give him a little support. Probably not the best idea, but it works for us :-).

If I were building my own from scratch, I would probably try to add some hips to the design... JMO.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2563
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "slant-ended" mounts (those that have one side at the back end angled vertically with the intention of allowing a lesser deflection of the penis from the central line) have, in our experience, a greater tendency to cause stallions to "climb" the mount toward the head end, rather than staying at (or toward) the back end. We suspect that this is related to a stallion's desire to have more abdominal support, which is reduced with having only a half-width of the mount present at the very back. While this may work well for some stallions (who don't climb), we tend to discourage this design when building a mount because of the large number of stallions that we have seen that do climb because of it. In Barbara's case, it may well be that the "grasping" she is seeing in her stallion is also as a result of the lack of abdominal security (all stallions grasp with their front legs, but we have noted some with this design mount almost perform a swimming butterfly stroke with the front legs when grasping as they try to climb the mount).

Barbara Lewis
Weanling
Username: Baraka

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's most frustrating and concerning as he is throwing those front legs around the whole time I am collecting. He also tends to move in toward me, rather than staying right behind the phantom. Your explanation would make sense regarding that also. He's moving around, looking for more support.

In the past, I have done a lot more collecting than live cover. He's 17 this year, and just bred live occasionally. I noticed when he bred a mare live, he tended to have the same practice. This year it's different... most is live cover. The last two times he bred live, I was pleased to see that he did finally "cover" the mare, rather than standing behind her trying to stay on. Standing behind her resulting in him sometimes not staying close enough, and requiring a couple of attempts. He gets really aggitated over that. By "cover" I mean that he laid more of his weight on her, relaxing a little more to the point that his head was laying on the side of her withers, rather than remaining above her. I think he had learned, from the phantom, to grasp for support and didn't trust that the mare would support him, until he had more time to experiment with breeding them live.

bnbstables
Neonate
Username: Bnbstables

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I welded 2 hot water heater cores together. drilled holes in the bottom and stuck 2 3inch pipes with bracing to support it.

Chris Taylor
Weanling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I built the Power Pole to the specs that Jos provided. I have collected stallions on it ranging from 12.2 up to 16hh. The little welshie had no trouble with it all

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US