SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Color Genetics

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Color Genetics « Previous Next »

Jenna
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is seal brown in color or black bay as some call it. If I breed her to a gray stallion, what color would the baby most probably be? I would like to have a gray baby--what are the odds?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gray is a dominant gene, so it is quite possible that you will get a gray foal. It will depend however upon what other colour genes are in the stallions background, as if there is seal brown in his genes, then you may end up with that colour instead!

Donna M.
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 1996 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is a white egyptian arabian and my stallion is a large, very splashy paint. What color/s might I end up with?

Cindy Geres
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are looking for some general information regarding color based on genetics there is a very good article at http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/~lvmillon/coatcolor/coatclr3.html

It discusses the allelles and their dominance as well as how they are displayed physically in coat colour. It may easier to understand if you are familiar with biology, but it is not necessary to understand the article.

Hope that helps a little.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would I have the same chances of getting a palomino baby if I bred my palomino mare to a liver chestnut as with a lighter-golden colored chestnut with a white mane and tail?

Christina Deforest
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi!
I have bred my dark bay mare to a black stallion what are the chances of getting a black foal.

Cindy Geres
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Christina,
It really depends on where the genes in your mare and the stallion are homozygous or heterozygous. There are two major factors related to the color of your coming foal. There is a gene that defines the precense of black hair and there is another gene that defines where those black hairs will be located. They work in combination so you can imagine the possibilities.

Considering all these possibilities and knowing only that you have a bay mare bred to a black stallion it can be said that you have a 70% chance of having a Bay foal, 24% chance of having a Black foal and depending on the genetic make up of the horses, even a 6% chance of having a chestnut foal.

Please remember that this is taking into consideration ALL of the possible genetic combinations.

BREAKDOWN: In three of the genetic senarios it is possible only to get a Bay foal. Similarly, in three other senarios there is a 50% chance of Bay and 50% chance of Black and the last two senarios added the 25% possibility that you may get a Chestnut foal. So, unless you can find out some more genetic info from the stallion owner and about your mare, the best answer I can give you is that the odds are you will have a bay foal with a 24% chance of having a black baby.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I thought I should give you a little of the background information.

Cindy Geres
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jenna,
If the gray stallion is homozygous for gray, meaning that both his allelles in the gray gene are saying "show gray" then you have a 100% chance of getting a gray foal. If, however, the stallion has an allelle that says "don't show gray" then your possibilities expand. The simplest way to know that stallion is heterozygous for gray (one "show gray" and one "don't show gray") is to look at his parents. If he has one parent that is not gray, he is heterozygous. Please note that this does not work the other way. If he has two gray parents that does not mean he is homozygous for gray.

In the case that he stallion is heterozygous for gray you will still have a 50% chance of having a gray foal, but the other 50% will be made up of other colour possibilities. Most likely, Bay and Chestnut.

In any case your odds are good on getting a gray foal.

Cindy Geres
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenna, I must make a correction. You will not get a chestnut foal as the make up of your mare will not allow it. If your foal is not gray it will be bay.
Sorry for the error.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about trading my tobiano colt for an overo filly. But her sire has produced a lethel white baby. What are the chances she will also produce one? What are the chances she could carry this gene?

Cindy Geres
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lethal white is produced by having an overo gene contributed by both parents. If you want to be certain that you will not get the lethal white, breed her to a solid stallion. This will also present the possibility of getting a solid foal, but you can be sure it will not be lethal white. If you decide to breed to an overo stallion. You have the 25% chance of having a lethal white, 25% chance of having an overo and 50% chance of having a solid coloured foal.

Hope that gives you a little more insight.

Cindy Geres
Spruce Lane Stable

Anonymous (152.163.207.204)
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a white mare with very little strawberry roan color on her, and we have bred her to a bay and white paint horse. is there a way to make a good guess or just wait and see. the mares mother is palamono and her father is a black roan. the studs mother was a roan and his father was a paint bay and white,how do color genetics work.

Kelly (63.172.47.219)
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy - I have a black bay stallion. He has sired 3 duns, a black, 2 blue black roans, a dark palomino with solid white mane and tail, 2 bay tobianos, a few sorrels, and numerous bays. All the bays and many of the sorrels (reds) have extensive silver roan markings on the flanks and body. Most all of the babies have some type of white markings on the face, and have at least 2 white socks. The color of the mare seems to be the determining factor. What do you think is going on here?

He is a Quarter Horse, an own son of Doc'O Lena. I am very happy with these color combinations, but a bit baffled. Most stallions of this same breeding produce only solid bay or sorrel (red ). Is is a big plus that he throws ( or allows ) color to come through.

Cindy Geres (209.240.42.37)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kelly - I would love to say that it has something to do with your stallion, but it really doesn't. All in all it is only a wonderful coincidence. As far as the basics go, your boy is offering to any of his offsprings the chance to be bay, black or sorrel. All the fun stuff (like palamino, dun and tobiano) is coming strictly from the mare. No stallion is more "susceptible" to letting mare traits show through.

Sounds as though you have quite a smorgasbord of color on the table. Wonderful!!

Cindy Geres
http://sprucelanestable.go2click.com

Cindy Geres (209.240.42.37)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Anonymous from June 10th - Is the stud that you bred to have like a tobiano pattern to its coat? If you would prefer to e-mail me privately please feel free.

cjg@ispnet.ca

Cindy Geres
http://sprucelanestable.com

kelly (63.172.47.194)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your time Cindy. I'll just keep smiling at all these colors and not ask why!

carole (207.3.226.177)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stallion, for all practical purposes, looks black. He does have some fawn color hairs on the flank and the sides of his nose, more noticable when the summer and winter coat are not new. That seems to put him in the seal brown category, but is it not true that bay and seal brown hairs do not bleach out in the sun like black? He seems to bleach out from the sun like a black would. Can you clarify?

Kayla Reece (152.163.201.193)
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mahogany bay mare, and I am wondering what would happen if I bred her to a chestnut, I would get a chestnut, right? But if I bred my bay mare to a dapple grey, what color would I get? Or if I bred her to a Black stallion, would I get a dark bay, or a black? And how do different shades of bay effect the baby? So if I bred her to a light bay, would the baby be more red, or more sandy colored? I'm so confused!!!

Cindy Geres (142.222.243.199)
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kayla, with your colour choices you would potentially get

Chestnut stud: 25% bay & 75% chestnut
Grey stud: 50% grey & the other 50% would be not grey (because you don't know what is underneath the "grey" could be black, bay, chestnut, etc )I would need more info.
Black stud: 25% black, 25% bay, 50% chestnut

The different shades of bay are much more difficult to predict. It does not rely on a single gene to express itself. Beyond my expertise.

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure that you still have many more questions. Drop me a line if I can help.

Cindy Geres
Spruce Lane Stable

Anonymous (209.206.253.66)
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American Paint Horse website has a terrific article on Color and Pattern Genetics! It discusses all types of Overo and Tobiano patterns, seperately and combined, also includes all colors! You don't need a PIN to get to it either! Perhaps it would help with some of these questions? I sure enjoyed it!

Nelda Burch (209.240.221.101)
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Chesrnut Mare..her Dam is Chestnut & her sire is Palomino..his dam is Palomino
If I breed her to a Palomino Stud & his sire is Palomino....do I have a chance of getting Palomino?

K Starr (207.190.82.57)
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have bred my chestnut Stud to my Buckskin dun mare, what are my color posibilities? this year we had a palomino. The mare is by a Grulla and out of a Buckskin dun.

Tanya Sloan (208.134.250.253)
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a Tiger Horse stallion who is homozygous (few spot) for the leopard complex gene. We are breeding him to solid colored gaited mares to produce more Tiger horses, but we don't have any foals of our own yet. I just wondered if you can recommend any books that go into detail more about the Lp genetics. I have Dr Sponenberg's books, but would like to see more.

Thanks
Tanya
Sloan's Saddle Stock
www.tigrehorse.com/ghosthorse

Merri (68.10.122.114)
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I have a liver chesnut mare.Her sire is black (or dark liver chesnut) and her dam is liver chesnut. What would be the outcome if I bred her to a cremello, palomino, buckskin, perlino (sp) or bay?

rachel
Posted From: 195.92.67.65
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a grey mare, who was bred with a chesnut stallion, just wondering if any one knows what colour the foal will be, im afraid I dont know the stallion or my mares sires/dams. Id appreciate any info thanks

Cathy
Posted From: 4.76.88.136
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rachel without knowing what color the mare was before she turned grey there is really no way to tell what color the foal will be. If the mare is homozygous for grey the foal will eventually turn grey. If she is heterozygous she has a 50% chance of turning grey.

kelly
Posted From: 24.213.220.41
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have a buckskin stallion who has thrown 3 out of 5 foals buckskin. I bred him to my bay mare who's father and grandfather is buckskin also. Does this increase the odds of having a buckskin or doesn't it matter?

Cathy
Posted From: 4.76.89.99
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly it does not increase the chance. Bucksins are bays with the cream gene. If the mare is bay she does not have the cream gene. The stallion will pass the gene on 50% of the time. If neither one of them is homozygous for the agouti gene you can get bay,buckskin, palomino, chestnut, or smokey black. Cathy

Kelly
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, guess what? Your right. We had a cremello or perlino! Go figure.

Cathy
Posted From: 4.76.90.94
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly did you just have this foal? Does it have blue eyes? I would love to see pictures of the foal, sire, and dam. That match should not produce cremello or perlino. Cathy

Kelly
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. We had him Tuesday AM. So far, yes, he does have blue eyes and pink skin. I know this is freaking me out too, but I own the stallion and the mare and we only have one other horse( a 20 year old gelding) so I know she wasn't bred to anyone else. Sure I can send you pictures.

Cathy
Posted From: 4.76.62.73
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly many foals are born with blue eyes that darken and pink skin that darkens. It is a very good possibility that this is a light palomino foal. It could just take a little time for the true color to come out. Cathy

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.71.221.177
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This foal could be perlino, IF the mare is not bay but a DARK Buckskin. Is that possible? Genetically it could be as you say her sire is buckskin. Some buckskins are so dark to appear bay, but they throw dilute foals,
Keep us posted,
Traci

b
Posted From: 66.20.100.159
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a chestnut WElsh A stallion and a palomino stallion. I know that when chestnuts are bred to chestnuts then you get a chestnut but what about when you produce a palomino to a chestnut??

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.71.221.125
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when chestnuts are bred to palominos, they will produce chestnut 50% of the time and palominos 50% of the time. Not bad odds..

b
Posted From: 66.20.100.130
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I purchased a palomino pony stallion and I bred my mare to him so I was just wondering Thanks though!!

b
Posted From: 66.20.101.13
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SORRY!!! What about a Bay with a chestnut??

keystonefoxtrotters
Posted From: 66.71.199.108
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breedng bays to chestnuts will result in black, bay or chestnut foals. You need to know what color the parents of the bay horse were to help determine the color factors it carries, to help narrow down the possibilities,
TRACI

Jennifer
Posted From: 209.192.125.131
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bred my dapple gray mare to a chestnut stallion and when the foal was born she was a chocolate color that changed to light chestnut and now baby coat is coming out and the coat is coming in a grey/black color with slight brown mixed in what do you think she will be and at the moment her eyes are
still blue at 3 months old

Sandra KS
Posted From: 68.76.2.143
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine has a grey stallion. The foals that turn grey seem to have grey hairs mixed in around the eyes as soon as when the foal coat sheds. It is so hard to tell with chestnuts what color they are going to be when they grow up. I have seen light chestnut foals that were dark liver by the time they were 3yo. A friend of mine had a chocolate colored foal once that turned out to be black as an adult!

Pam Castleberry (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.66.192.62
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Last year we sold an APHA Paint Double Homozygous Tobiano weanling colt to a breeder in Australia. We own both the Sire and Dam of this colt. The sire has tested and has proven by breeding to be Homozygous for Tobiano and Homozygous for the Black gene. This colt's Dam has tested Homozygous for Tobiano but herself is registered as a Tovero. This mare's sire was a Tovero and her Dam was a Tobiano. The breeder that bought the homozygous colt is now worried that he could carry the lethal white gene because his Dam is a tovero even though she is Homozygous for tobiano. They keep coming back to me and insisting he could still carry the lethal gene and be homozygous for tobiano. Is this a worry they should have in your opinion? They have Overo mares that they want to breed him to. I didn't think it was possible for a homozygous tobiano to carry the lethal white gene. Wouldn't that go with an overo gene only? Can you please let me know what you know on this? Thanks, Pam Castleberry www.lakeshastapaints.com

Jim Thacker
Nursing Foal
Username: Jim_t

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,
Unfortunately, it is possible for him to carry the lethal white gene, however it's not very likely unless there are a lot of overos in his pedigree. Why don't they just have him tested? I think UC Davis does the testing, surely they have a lab down there that performs the test.

Brit (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 204.183.96.80
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I have a bck and white Overo Mare (dam was black and stud was black and white overo) we are breeding her to a palamino stallion. (stud was a palamino but not sure about dam) What are the possible outcomes of my mare's foal? Could someone please let me know? That would be wonderful!

Cathy
Weanling
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as the mare is not homozygous for black you can get black, smokey black, sorrel, and palomino.If she is homozygous throw out all the red based foals.
If the palomino has the agouti gene you can also get bay and buckskin. All of these colors can be solid or spotted.

AG
Neonate
Username: Tilly

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

This is probably a silly quesyion but I know nothing about genetics. If you breed a bay mare and a black tobiano stallion can you get a bay tobiano? the stallion produces some solids with solid mares. Also can a bay horse carry a 'dun' gene without it being expressed? (she has mostly duns and greys in her breeding)

Thanks

Kay Baxter
Weanling
Username: Kaykay

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi ag

yes you could get a bay tobiano one of my all time fav colors. It is my understanding (but i have had some disagree) that a true dun has to have dun characteristics. I have seen way too many horses listed as dun when i seriously doubt they are. Too many people mistake countershading for a dorsal stripe.

as to above post i would definately test that stallion for lethal white. Tobiano can hide lethal white really well. the test is very inexspensive and easy to do to test for lethal white.

as for the perlino remember to get perlino or cremello you have to have a creme gene from each parent. I suspect like the others its probably a palomino.

Michael Snow
Neonate
Username: Texappy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a snowcap foundation appaloosa stallion that is chestnut and white and bred him to a black homoz. paso fino mare and what are the chances of getting a black and white out of her or what color will i get ? He has put out every color ther is in his foals .I don't know the color thing yet . Thanks

AG
Nursing Foal
Username: Tilly

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, bay tobiano is one of my favourites too, and sure enough thats what i got the other night. I thought that a bay mare and a black tobiano stallion would limit me to just one or the other.

jessica (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.171.177.25
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
Need some help. I have a sorrel mare (looks like a copper penny) I'm breefing w/ a light palamino. Does anyone know the approx chances of getting a palamino? Any any ideas on how to get her to warm up the the stud? She is in the begining of her cycle, but still is acting timid & scared of him when she is brought to his pasture area by lead? Thanks in advance.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is she a maiden mare ? A mare that has not been bred before.

If not , do you know her past breeding experience?

Kim

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.63
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica- There are many good suggestions in previous posts. Have a look and good luck.

Tonya
Neonate
Username: Justme

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a beautifully bred (Jet Deck lines) dark bay tobiano mare that will be foaling in July. She is out of a blk/white dbl. blue eyed tobiano, she was bred to a blk/white tobiano stud. I am hopeful for a blk/white baby. My question is does anyone have any info on blue eyes. Could my mare have a 50% chance of throwing something blue eyed? Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tonya,
Good luck with the blk and white baby !! I just wanted to comment that the blue eyes are what the association consider a additional marking. Most often the blue eyes are seen in a overo or a tovero.... does your mares sire have any overo breeding in him ?? This is the defination from the APHA... notice the blue eyes in the tovero. Not typical in a tobiano. I have seen foals with blue eyes come from blue eyed parents, not from others, and again it seems to be one of those genes that like to hide--- the overo gene. I have a flashy tovero filly this year from my overo stallion and a toby mare, she got just one of his baby blues !! I have a medicine hat filly from a sabino (overo)mare and my overo stallion and she has two baby blues !

Tovero
(pronounced: tow vair' oh)

Dark pigmentation around the ears, which may expand to cover the forehead and/or eyes.

One or both eyes blue.

Dark pigmentation around the mouth, which may extend up the sides of the face and form spots.

Chest spot(s) in varying sizes. These may also extend up the neck.

Flank spot(s) ranging in size. These are often accompanied by smaller spots that extend forward across the barrel, and up over the loin.

Spots, varying in size, at the base of the tail.

anyways just my experience--nothing genetically tested for proof ??

good luck
Kim

jessica (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.171.185.109
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI everyone,

I don't believe she is a madien mare. But I'm not sure about her prior foals.
We gave her the "short cycle" hormone & she warmed up too him very quickly. She has been covered now for the past 2 days... keeping my fingers crossed.
The stud is a light colored palamino, his dad was sorrel, mom was buckskin (does that sound right?). he has a lot of buckskin, duns & palaminos in his past pedigree. I'm just wondering what I'll get.

Christie Miller
Neonate
Username: Gallamist

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thread!

I just want to say sorry if this has been already said.

That having a SOLID paint stallion or mare can still result in having a lethal white foal!

I have a solid paint stallion that I will be standing at stud to the public next yr but before that I must have him tested for the lethal overo gene. Although he is solid there is still a chance of him carrying that lethal gene as he does have some overo in his pedigree.

The mare I bred him to is also a solid paint who also has quite a bit of overo in her pedigree...(something I should of looked at before breeding)

Chances are slim but there still could be a 25% chance of a lethal foal...fingers crossed it's a healthy foal tho.

If your going to breed to a solid paint stallion I would advise that you get some info and make sure he doesn't carry the lethal overo gene just to be on the safe side.

I will be having both mare and stallion tested.

Em (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.246.117
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pam,
I too like you believed that homozygous tobiano meant that they only carried the tobiano gene and there for would only pass that gene on, I have since had people also telling me that this is untrue and that a homozygous tobiano can in fact carry the overo gene and there is in fact a horse in New Zealand that is tested homozygous for the tobiano gene but carries the overo gene as well and has in deed produced a lethal foal! now i would have thought that this would meen the horse was not infact homozygous for the tobiano gene but apparently that is not so. I have not been able to get my head around it but have heard this from several tobiano breeders. I am in australia and i have a fair idea of the colt you are talking about. All i can say is I desputed the fact untill i was told about the New Zealand horse.

delia Kramer
Neonate
Username: Delia

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy just wondering why Jenna couldn't get a chestnut out of a blk bay and a grey? I bred my grey mare to a black bay stallion and got a chestnut filly. Now anything I breed this chestnut to seems to be the color she throws. And she also carries the sabino gene.

Em (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.27.109.107
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happen to agree with you delia, it would depend on wether one of the bay's parents was chestnut and passed that gene on to the bay, if that was the case the bay would then have a very good chance of having a chestnut foal. And the grey could just be masking the chestnut gene as well in which case it would also have a very high chance of passing it on to the foal without the grey gene to cover it.

Renee
Weanling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chestnut is a recessive gene. It can pop up a few generations later, even though the dam or sire are not chestnut themselves. From my understanding, a bay that has a recessive red gene, also carries the agouti gene (being bay) which limits the blk to the points. This bay can throw a chestnut, which may well carry the agouti gene aswell but the chestnut phenotype covers this gene up.

delia Kramer
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't genetics fun! Now here is a question? If I breed my grey andalusian mare (out of a grey, by a bay) to a black that is by a blk and out of a blk With all blk and bays behind him what do you think I will get?

Em (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.27.109.107
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you will get a grey bay or black and if the blacks are not homozgous (suggested by there being bays in there breeding) maybe even a chestnut.

Renee
Weanling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Em says above, if the blacks are not homozygous you will get a bay or black, or possibly a chestnut either of the parents carry the gene. When ever you bred a hetrozygous grey, you have a 50% chance of the foal greying out.

Kathee McGuire
Neonate
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a very flashy bucksin that is bred to a black and white paint. According to the breeder, the sire has only thrown varitations of black offspring for 9 years. Can a stallion be that dominate or is it a coincidence that he has not thrown anything else?

Christie Miller
Nursing Foal
Username: Gallamist

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible he's homozygous for the black gene? Which would be why he consistantly throws black foals.

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he is is homo for black and is bred to a buckskin she can get a smokey black if the mare throws the creme gene..or a bay if mare throws the augiti gene right? I am like most of us..still trying to learn color genetics!!!

Kristin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.159.224.96
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a brown QH mare. Her body color is jet black, but she has a little brown only around her muzzle. Her Dam was brown just like her, her sire was sorrel. Her dam's dam was registered black, but may have been brown also. Her dam's sire was chestnut. Her sire's dam was sorrel and her sire's sire was sorrel. I know that's confusing! : )

So, That being said, I have bred her (brown) to a black pure bred Friesian stallion. I am hoping for a black foal. Are Friesians Homozygous for black, and what are the chances I will get a black foal? Thanks so much!

Jenn
Breeding Stock
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your chances for black are high because Friesian's are homozygous for black. It sounds like your mare is what I have alway heard refered to as seal brown (I also have a QH mare that color). I have found conflicting info regarding the gene lighter muzzel. It sounds as if the resulting foal should either be black or seal brown like your mare (probably 50/50 chance)

Kristin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.159.224.228
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the reply! My husband keeps teasing that it's gonna come out snow white! LOL I told him I'd blame it on him and never forgive him! : )

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

tami knaust (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 164.58.112.32
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi- I bred my gray overo mare to a lineback dun? Any ideas what color the foal might be? thanks tami

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tami. To give you an acurate guess, I will need a little more info.
- Just to clarify, the stud has a brown/tan body with black mane and tail. Is that correct, if not, what color does he look.
- What color was the mare before she turned gray?
- Do you know the colors of your mares parent? How about the studs parents?

If you are able to answer all or some of the questions I can help you narrow the possibilities for the foals color. Something to keep in mind, when you breed a gray (if they are heterozygous) they will pass the gray gene on to 1/2 of their offspring.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a stab at it, looked at it as the mares base color was bay, she could have a bay,black(smokey ?), buckskin, or a small chance a palamino could pop up... that is not know any factors for the agouti gene and red factors.... I believe that is why Jenn was looking for more information to better tell you your chance.
There is also a chance that your foal could grey out. There is also a chance for a overo patterned horse. This was just guessing, I am still learning about this too.

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you know the mare was black Kim? Every color turns gray when the horse carries the gray gene.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenn, I was just taking a stab at it. Most horses that I have seen go grey or either bay or black... I went with the bay color for a base to give a guess at it for her, I think that a black base is very siimilar to the end results as well.... again not taking into consider the red gene or agouti factors... I am still learning how to change the outcome depening on these things.... Please correct me if I am wrong because as I said I am still learning the color gene thing...

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim, "gray" and "lineback dun" are both terms with no real color affiliation. The dun could be red dun (sorrel), dun (bay), dunskin (buckskin), dunalino (palomino), or grula (black). It seems like gray on a red base is quite often mistaken for roan, but is still gray. I had asked Tami the questions because it is very possible that the dun could be a red dun and the gray could be a sorrel gray in which case the only color options would be sorrel, red dun and red based gray. Without actually knowing what colors the horses are no color can be ruled out. From the description Tami gave of the horses the only things that are certain is that any resulting foal would have a 50% chance of recieving the gray gene, and a separate 50% chance of recieving the dun gene and a separate 50% chance of recieving the overo gene (assuming the mare is heterozygous for overo as well as gray and the stallion is heterozygous for the dun gene).

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I relize that overo thing, and I relize the actual grey thing., I just considered lineback dun a dun with primitve points-hence the line. All the dun falls under the "buckskin" gentics I thought. I also relize that nothing was certian without actually knowing the greys base coat color , but was just giving the color possibilities off a bay "grey" dam as I have seen many more bay and black base greys than anything else. I also used the website that someone else posted for coming up with gentic coloring ---they classify dun under the general of buckskin then add the red and agouti modifiers and don't list a grey as it is just the modifier i would guess. I have had a red dun stallion--which had all the primitive points and everyone that refered to him classified any and all duns, red duns, buckkins dunskins in the buckskin family. So I am still learning and its getting easier, just having trouble with the modifiers for the agouti gene and red gene--I will catch on sooner or later.

I choose this on a color predictior, and which i also said that the red and agouti genes were unknown. choose a buckskin and chestnut(for the base color on the grey)and it came up with colors of chestnut, black, bay,palimino, smokey black, buckskin.... then if you knew the modifiers then it could change the results a bit. Naturally adding the overo possibility, which I know about.My trouble is the modifiers-execpt grey!

Agian my thinking is that duns, red duns dunskins all fall under buckskins with the modifiers of red or agouti.

??? I will catch it ! :-)

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, this is the short version of what I have learned about color genetics.
Try to think of color genetics as something with three layers. You have a base color, then modifiers, and then patterns.
There are only 2 base colors. Black is dominant, red is reccesive. For example a sorrel horse is homozygous for the reccesive form gene (ee) with no modifiers. A black horse is carries at least one copy of the dominant form (Ee) or if homo EE.
Modifiers then change the appearance of the base color. Some of the more common modifiers include cream(Ccr), dun(Dn), agouti(A)(turns black into bay), gray(G) and roan(RnRn (there are others but they are less common).
Lastly comes pattern. Some examples are tobiano, frame overo, sabino, splashed white, and then a whole list of appy patterns.
Every horse can carry any modifier and/or pattern.
If I was to assume that the gray overo mare was a bay heterozygous for black, agouti and overo, and the stud was a dunskin hetero for black and agouti (obviously hetero for cream) the possible colors from the combination would be bay, buckskin, black, bay dun (classic dun or zebra dun), dunskin, grula, sorrel, palomino, red dun and dunalino. Also, each foal would have a 50% chance of recieving the gray gene and a 50% chance of recieving the overo gene. That doesn't narrow the field much. The most common dun is a bay dun and if the stud is a bay dun, then that takes the cream gene out of the equation and therefore the chances of getting palomino or buckskin. The more info you have, the more you can narrow the field of options.

Kim, I am not sure what you meant in your statement "Agian my thinking is that duns, red duns dunskins all fall under buckskins with the modifiers of red or agouti. " Red is not a modifier, it is a color, the dun gene is not specifically connected to buckskin. It is its oun gene and all it does it put "dun markings" on the horse. I have heard conflicting info, but I was informed that the dun gene lightens most of the body except for the markings.

Whew, that was a long one. I hope I helped clear things up a bit, expecially why I did not want to answer Tami's question without more info.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenn,
thanks for trying to explain a bit more. I will reread the post in the morning to try to absorb more of what you wrote.
The site that was posted here to learn more was calling them extensions of the base coat --sorry , I was calling them modifiers. ??
http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.htm

have to do some more reading.
Thanks for your help

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, finding alot of stuff.., many conflicting info....

This is what I thought, a dun is basically the same as the buckskin but carries the markers for the primitive markings-shoulder, ears,and leg markings.

the more reading I am doing the more confused I get !

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I had previously stated, neither gray nor dun have any real coat color affiliation. Dun is not connected at all to buckskin (genetically). The most common (and most easily visible) duns are a bay or buckskin base. But the dun gene puts primative markings on any coat color, and is not connected to coat color at all.
There are only 3 dun coat colors recognised for registration purposes by many registries. Red dun (dun on sorrel), grulla (dun on black) and dun (dun on bay or buckskin). This tends to cause a lost of confusion. (also many people don't realize that a grulla is a dun)
Gray works similarly in that it is not its own color, but acts on every coat color.
I went to the website that you linked and noticed that they did not include gray or dun at all for options in their foal calculater. That would probablly just be because if a horse is heterozygous for either of the genes each foal has a 50% chance of recieving the gene, but you cannot give an acccurate estimation on possible coat colors with just the colors "one is gray and one is dun". With only that info no coat color or modifier can be ruled out. I have a gray mare who was born black and she is out of a black mare and a black based gray stallion. Because of this info I know that
-she doesn't carry agouti, so to produce a bay or buckskin she would have to be bred to a stud that carries agouti(and cream for buckskin).
-She has a 25% chance of being homozygous for black. So at best she only has a 50% chance of producing a red based foal.
-she only has one gray parent so she is heterozygous for gray and any foal she has will have a 50% chance of being gray.
I hope this wasn't too confusing. I spent months under a pile of books with a spinning head until I started to get a grasp on the genetics. To make it worse, they keep finding new genes.

Lori Alexander
Neonate
Username: Buckskin_baby

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok just a question on my mare buttermilk buckskin only a little white star on head and frosting in mane , well she was bred to a brn & white paint stallion who has always thrown paints just wondering what yall think she will have. i have no background on her only got her 3 months ago and from what i found out she has been at 4 diff. homes just wondering

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is the stallion a BROWN, Bay, Or Chestunt?? you say brown and white so I am just clarifing hun. If he is HOMO for the PAINT gene( only a tobiano can be HOMOZYGOUS for paint) and she is a buckskin, then we know it will be a Paint for one. We know that she is carring a creme gene, and agouti gene and a black gene( bay is black base with agouti modifier. But we dont know if she carries a red gene( which means that she can throw a red or a black base foal if she does carry the red gene)
so..if the stallion is a RED base and we are going to assume that the mare is a black base with a red gene, and a creme gene
we come up with..
Palomino
Buckskin
Smokey Black
sorrel
Bay
Black
If the stallion is a BAY and white the colors will be the same but a higher probability of a buckskin, bay or black base
if its a true brown..then I dont know what to tell you cause they just discoved that BROWN has its OWN genetic makeup!!! LOL Here is hoping that he is a homozygous paint and you will get a paint foal with a magical color!!!

Jenn
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gynna, where did you discover that brown has it's own genetic make-up? Any info that I have every found states that "brown" is just a variation of another color, ex: faded black, smokey black, dark bay, dark chestnut, etc.

Thanks!

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh lordy I cant remember where I read it now..its code is like a Te or something simular..I will see if I can find it..

delia Kramer
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I kinda have my awnser to my question. I bred a Grey mare to a Black-all blacks behind him. And my filly was born a bay with primitive markings. Go figuare. Any way she is sheading out Black. So it will intresting to see what the final results will be. This baby is just awesome. Temperment and a look at me attitude.

Shirley Fuller
Neonate
Username: Oakeyroad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Dun mare. She was bred to a sorrel and the foal was a Bar. What can I breed her to to get a Palomino or a Buckskin.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you want a guaranteed palomino or buckskin breed her to a cremello or perlino. If you breed to a Palomino or a Buckskin you will have a 50/50 shot at getting a palomino/buckskin verses a dun/bay/sorrel. A perlino or cremello carries two sets of cream genes so can only pass on a cream gene, while a palomino and buckskin carry one cream gene. This is our Perlino stud colt as an example of a perlino. A cremllo look a lot like him on only their legs are the same color as their body and a Perlino has the black gene so his legs mane and tail are kind of an orange color. Hope that helps.
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Kodashow2%20033.jpg
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Stallions%20006.jpg

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie- you are correct, I always forget about perlino and cremello's.. (since they used to not be allowed in AQHA I have a mental block I suppose!)

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 628
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie- Is that your horse? I'd like to find a cremello to use on one of my mares, but I've yet to find one close enough to me to breed to that had the pedigree and look that I want.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that is my boy Koda. If you would do cooled shipped semen I know of a couple of studs that are really nice cremellos. But I don't know what bloodlines you like. Koda is not going to be shipped for at least another year. But we are only going to breed about 3-5 mares to him next year for his first season. But yea they are awsome. I am showing Koda and he is doing really well. He got second at the Tri State fair this year. . He did so good for me. he was on his best behavior. The picture above at the show is the one at this years Fair. He is a sweet heart. The other picture of him laying down with my husband was taken yesterday. He was so sweet.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie- I'm looking for one I can live cover with if possible and I want working QH type blood, no Impressive and there are a few lines I'd prefer to stay away from like Poco Bueno, Hancock, Two Eyed Jack and Zan Par Bar.. ( not picky, am I ? )

Jaime Peffer
Neonate
Username: Ponygurl

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking to buy a Tennessee Walker colt (my first TW!) anyway...he is a bay tobiano...right now...he's only a month old and they say he has NO gray hairs (haven't met him yet) His daddy is a bay homozygous EEAA and his mommy is a gray. I don't know her underlying color...my question is...will he go gray?
TIA!

Tina Todd
Neonate
Username: Tina_todd

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has these questions!
I'm breeding my mare in 2008, she is a dapple gray, 4 black stockings, her dapples are white in colour and her body is darker. I think she is beautiful but I was wondering what the chances would be if I bred her to a black (homozygous)stallion or dark bay that our foal would be dark rather than gray? Thanks in advance for any help or input.

Tina Todd
Neonate
Username: Tina_todd

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I would also like to add that Zoe's sire is a bay and her dam was gray, although her dam was white and Zoe has yet to turn white, she is still dappled at 8 yrs old.

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
A fabulous site to check out for more color info. and they even have a color calculator is www.equinetesting.com I have a colored (sabino buckskin) stallion and some dilute colored mares and find the color calculator invaluable. Beats the heck out of doing all the math yourself. Hope this helps, Phyllis

Daena Sawicki
Neonate
Username: Daena

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a fantastic site with the calculator. I bred both my mares to 2 different double homozygous Black Tobiano stallions. One mare is dark bay almost black and the other is just bay, so it should be interesting to see what I get (if I get) in the spring.
Daena

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US