SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cycle regularity

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Cycle regularity « Previous Next »

amy
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi this is amy again with the 4 year old paint mare that still hasnt foaled. Ok, say my mare was pasture bred on the 7th of November like the previous owner says, if she didnt conceive during that breeding when would be the next time that she might possibly have gotten pregnant? How often will they accept a stallion? I guess what I am asking is, if she did not conceive on the nov. 7th breeding would it be another month before she could have bred again? don't mean to sound stupid but i think by now you know i dont know a lot about this. thanks in advance.

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mare's estrous cycle is 21 days from ovulation to ovulation, so if she was bred on November 7th, then if she wasn't impregnated on the cycle, she would probably have been breedable again on November 28th.

There is also a little quirk of nature called "transitional phases" which could have been in effect then too. Mares are seasonal breeders ("seasonally polyestrus" is the correct term), and do not naturally have regular ovulatory cycles through the winter. Between the regular cycle time of year and the non-cycling, there are "transitional phases, and estrus during those times can be prolonged and sometimes anovulatory.

So in other words, probably Nov. 28, but maybe not!

Christina Deforest
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi!
My mare was bred on Feb.14 . She did not catch because the vet said she had a split estrus cycle. How can I stop this from Happening again. Or can I? Is this mare going to have a problem getting in foal. She is my best racehorse mare with a ton of heart and love. I would really like to get a foal or two from her.

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may need to have this mare monitored using ultrasound or rectal palpation if she shows signs of doing this again. There is no reason why she cannot be bred, but you will need to ensure that she is actually ovulating.

It is also quite possible that your mare is in "transitional phase" and will develop regular estrous cycles in month or two.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would like to know if there is any truth to there being a 17 hour window for a stallions semen to adjust to the mares ph levels in order for conception to occur? A breeder which i sent my mares to said that we missed her ovulation (by less that 12 hrs)and that we would have had to have bred her 17 hours prior to her ovulating in order for the studs semen to adjust to her uterine ph levels thus being a prerequisite to a successful breeding in which conception would occur. Sounds crazy to me and my vet agrees. What's the truth? My vet said we had 24-48 hours from when her follicle dropped to breed her.Breeder said no way. you have to wait until next month. Also was wondering how at 3 p.m. my vet said she had a follicle at 35 w/uterine softing and the following a.m. breeding farm vet found no follicle present. Does shipping/palpating cause follicle to fall off, and drop? Other mare palpated also on friday 3/31 was said to have 2 follicles one at 28 and the other at 30, my vet said she wouldn't be ready for at least 5-7 days. Breeding farms vet palpated on 4\1 and bred her on 4/2. how can two vet's opinions differ so much regarding same horses palpated within a 16 hour time frame? Lost & confused and seeking the truth about breeding/ovulation/timing. Thanks in advance for your insightful opinion. dix811@aol.com

Jos
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's absolutely no truth to the pH theory as you present it whatsoever! None! Zero! Zip!

Research has shown that insemination as close to ovulation as possible yields the best pregnancy rates - that would mean that with the theory that was put forward, these (multiple) research results are false! Additionally, when using frozen semen it is imperative that the thawed semen be placed in the mare within the period from 12 hours before ovulation to 6 hours afterwards, or it will be likely not to work - and again, the closer to ovulation the better, so according to your stallion owners theory successful frozen semen use would be impossible.

This stallion owner would be well advised to attend a breeding seminar or course, or at least read a reliable book!

Your vet is partially right in what he said about getting the semen into the the mare within 24 to 48 hours of ovulation (or perhaps you misunderstood a little). That is correct for the period prior to ovulation, but it must be inseminated within 12 hours post ovulation - so you could have bred this cycle with a possibility of pregnancy resulting.

Shipping does not cause a mare to ovulate, nor does regular palpation. Some mares will however ovulate on a smaller follicle which may not have softened, so it is possible that the mare had indeed ovulated when the second vet checked.

Follicles grow at an approximate rate of 5 mm per day, so if there was a 30 mm follicle present, I would feel more inclined to be breeding in 2 to 3 days, although it may well be that the second vet felt a softening as this mare apparently may not grow a large follicle, so I would feel inclined to think that the breeding timing may have been reasonable.

Hope this helps!

Ria
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello ...my question is..when using lutalyse..how long does it take for the mares to react and start cycling?? I have a mare that just foaled and would like to breed her on her second heat post foaling. I do not have a teaser on my farm so I am making guesses. I also have another mare that I would like to use frozen semen on. What time frame should I have her inseminated once she started to cycle? Hope to hear from you Jos and thank you for your time.

galegentry
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mare foaled March 19th and we are now ready to rebreed her but she has not cycled since she came in foal heat. When will her cycle begin?

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The post foaling mare will usually have her first ovulation between 5 and 15 days after foaling. This is however only an average. Subsequent ovulations will be approximately 21 days after the first, as is normal.

There are however several things that may happen. Some mares become "lactationally anestrus" which may mean that they are truly not having heat cycles, or that they are not displaying the sighns normally associated with them. This can be determined by your veterinarian upon palpation or ultrasound. If it occurs, usually once the foal is weaned she will return to displaying estrus - although if she is cycling in the meantime but just not showing, she may be successfully bred by AI.

Another thing that can sometimes happen with early foalings is that the mare can return to "transtional phase" which is what normally occurs early in the year and manifests itself as irregular length and displayed estrus phases. Time will usually solve this as the mare realises spring has come.

Hope this helps.

nita bright (152.163.197.63)
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi, i have been reading all your postings and i need a little advice myself,i have a 3 year old mare not we have tried to breed with no such luck, she was left with a stud 30 days and nothing, if he tries she kicks and has a fit. well we have been teasing her now for about 2 weeks and took her for a sonagram today , the vet says her folicles are fine ,and 1 is about 38 and it should burst at 40, but she should be showing signs of heat, but she is not she tries to kick a studs head off. someone please help. i have looked into AI but we have 2 vets and they think it would be best to breed naturally.has any of you had a mare that would not stand to breed. any info would be app.

Kelly (63.172.47.222)
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very frustrating to have a mare that appears breedable, but won't cooperate. I have only had one that absolutely would not let the stallion penetrate.

I have found that the key is in the teasing process. I would not introduce her to the stallion until she is in full estrus and ready to accept him. After her heat is over,I would remove her if she was covered or not.

I lead the mare to my teaser, whom is secured behind a stout, high fence. It is during the teasing that the mare learns about acceptable behavior, both for herself and by the stallion. It is important that the teasing stallion is also well behaved and not exhibiting unruly aggressivness. Otherwise, her fears are well founded.

I first let her keep a distance so as to let her listen and observe the teasers attention. She may look towards him or even nicker. If she does not, do not rush her. Do not permit her to strike out or kick at the teaser. She may look away, but not allow her to turn or try to push her way by you.

Get her attention and let her know,that behavior will not be tolerated. At that safe distance, she will begin to listen to you. Gradually step closer to the teaser, you will want for her to face him and smell noses. At this point she will may prick her ears mometarily forward, or attempt to stike out with a front foot. Stay well to her side and reinforce your command not to do so. This may take 15-20 minutes. Do not rush her.

Once she had approached the teaser face to face, then turn her away from him allowing her rear end to face him. At this time, do not allow her to kick or move away. Again, be aware that she may strike out at any given moment. She should stand straight and not be moving from side to side. Correct her each time that she attempts to move either direction. If she is persistant in kicking and not standing, return her to the face to face position. Repeat these two steps until she will stand.

On the first day, she may not want to approach the teaser at all. After she understands that you are in control, she will relax and allow closer contact. By day 3-4 of her heat she will stand backed up to the teaser. When she backs towards him and urinates, she will be considered ready to breed. It is most important that you direct her firmly and establish control. Like any lady, no girl likes to be rushed or groped on a first date!

Most maiden mares that stand to a teaser will get scared when the stallion attempts to mount her. Because she does not have any experience to know what is coming next, she thinks that she is being attacked. My teaser can stand and reach over the top rail just enough to be seen by her and touch her hind quarters. You may have to be firm with her the first few times until she learns that he can not come over the fence. Once she is relaxed with that, she will show more interest in standing and accepting the advances. She must be taught that he is mounting , not attacking.

If you take your time and make her behave, the teasing process will not only show her heat , but train her to accept the stallion as well. It is a learning process for a virgin! Help her and show her not to be afraid of him, but what to expect of him. The birds and the bees, so to speak!

If she does not come around after multiple sessions of 30 minutes or more, A.I. may be your best bet. Good Luck and be persistant!

Teresa (216.229.175.123)
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, sometimes gestation can take its sweet time. Last spring our 26 year old stallion breed a maiden mare ONCE. After that he wouldn't have anything to do with her. We called out the vet and had her checked but couldn't find a reason for his refusal. Turned out he knew the job was done and he didn't want to waste his time! Even knowing the EXACT hour of breeding didn't help us pinpoint the due date. The mare went a full year plus six days. Finally a beautiful, healthy filly was born. She was worth waiting for!

Anonymous (198.164.241.170)
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a site where I can get information regarding heat cycles in horses, what to look for, ect. I am trying to get my mare cycling up in Cold Canada to be bred for the first time, and I am quite ignorant about the whole thing.

Anonymous (63.49.138.14)
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try checking the articles section out on this site.

Anonymous (142.166.254.54)
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. I have been searching the internet to find certain information without too much success. However, when using the search engine on this site, I did find what I was looking for! Thanks again!

ron doster (216.76.248.170)
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a 21 year old twh mare that has not shown signs of heat since her last foal a year and a half, is there anything that i can do, or is over for her. thanks

Bob (210.86.104.157)
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. We have a stud in New Zealand and during the winter acquired a Clydesdale mare. We started teasing her approximately 9 Sept and she was interested, peeing and winking. 2 days later we bred her and have been doing so every other day including today 27 sept (8 serves later)and she doesnt seem to want to go off. I have never come across a mare to be in season for so long. Is it possible for her to have already ovulated and continue to take the stallion even if she was pregnant?

Patrice L.
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I have an 8 y/o mare which we bred 3x last year and were unsuccessful (has had 3 foals). She was put under lights Dec 1st. The breeder recommended Regumate, that was started Feb 7th. Vet recommended Lutalyse and that was given Feb 21st. Day 19 Feb 25 the mare had a follicle on each ovary a 25mm & a 28mm both still hard. On Friday Feb 28 they were a 28 & 29, not much growth. Is it possible that this mare is still in a transitional heat and will not ovulate this cycle? I don't have a stallion available to tease her. All these trips to the vet are very expensive! Should we just wait until April to breed? (we live in NE Indiana). Now I feel like I have wasted $ on Regumate and time with the vet.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pam Kaliher
Posted From: 65.87.144.24
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet wants to do a sonagram for pregnancy determination and it must be done on the 14th to the 17th day from the last breed date. One mare bred until the 1st and one until the 5th. Why can't they do it on the 20th day so I don't have to make two trips?

Jos
Posted From: 142.177.114.165
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The success rate for reduction of a twin pregnancy earlier than 16 days is greater. After day 16, the twin pregnancies will be fixed, and depending upon their position, reduction of both pregnancies using prostaglandin may be the only choice you have.

Additionally, if you wait until day 20, it is possible that one or both of the mares may have gone past the point where they can be successfully bred again, which is usually 21 days after the last ovulation, but that will be 1-2 days before they stop accepting the stallion.

Anonymous
Posted From: 64.217.50.230
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness some great and useful info...I was beginning to beleive there was nothing positve about this place...I know horses are serious buisness...but geez...ease up a bit...well all these post were great reading ~Jos~

thanks

Anonymous
Posted From: 198.81.26.13
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW THIS JOS GUY IS SMART!! CAN YOU TELL ME THE AMOUNT OF DAYS A MARE SHOULD BE ON REGUMATE (AT A DOSE OF 10CC PER 1000?) TO THEN PROSTIGLANDIN, TO THEN BREED?
THANKS!

Jos
Posted From: 63.18.237.112
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope! :-)

The problem with using Regumate is that mares can and will develop follicles during treatment and can even ovulate during treatment. Consequently, you could have a mare that has ovulated in the last few days of treatment and does not yet have a CL that will respond to PGF2a, but then a couple of days later when you are expecting her to come into heat, the CL becomes active and will be secreting progesterone, which will of course prevent the mare from coming into heat.

Another scenario is where the mare has a large follicle present close to the end of the Regumate treatment period, and comes into heat rapidly after the last dose. To compound this problem further, PGF2a can have an acceleratory effect on the follicle and cause the mare to come into heat rapidly and to ovulate within a day or two after the last dose of Regumate. To add even more irritation, research has shown that if rapid ovulation occurs, there is a lower pregnancy rate!

If all goes well, one would use 10 days of Regumate with the PGF2a on the 10th day, then the mare would come into heat 3-5 days later, and the ovulation would occur in the last 24-48 hours of standing heat, so about 7-9 days after the PGF2a dose day.

That's if it all goes well...

A better bet would be the use of P&E.

tricia (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.139.251.212
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it mean anything if a mare starts peeing during breeding?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10062
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urination is a normal sign of estrus ("heat") in the mare. Sometimes the mare will urinate during breeding. What impact this will have will depend upon how much actually makes its way into the vagina (and hence uterus) during the breeding. It is probably not going to be a problem, but if a sufficient amount was introduced it could be.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US