SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion not breeding?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Stallion not breeding? « Previous Next »

MJK
Neonate
Username: Lar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a four year old qh stallion that we pasture bred as a three year old and he got all of them in foal last year. This year he was turned out with three maiden mares and two are still coming in heat after three cycles. I hauled one up to the vet and he checked her and said her hyman is not ruptured, so that means he is not breeding them...I am stumped as to why. They all act like they love each other and get along great pastured together. I was suspicious when I didn't notice him cover any of them and I usually see him breed them. He is healthy and happy and up to date on worming and vacs. Any ideas why he not performing?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10702
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that the stallion has been housed continuously with the mares may result in a degree of intimidation in some young stallions. Stallions have a highly developed single-trial avoidance learning curve related to negative sexual situations, so that is one possibility.

Another possibility is that he has low libido. This could be furthered by having bred the mares last season multiple times - seeing as he was pasture bred - and overuse as a young stallion can result in refusal or a reluctance to breed later. I am strongly opposed to pasture breeding for a variety of reasons, but with a young stallion, this is certainly one.

It is also possible that he has been injured and is not breeding as a result of discomfort - have you closely evaluated his penis and testicles for signs of injury?

You would probably be well advised to remove him from the pasture, and introduce him in-hand to the mares only when they are in a good receptive estrus. Tease the mares hard, allowing the stallion to get a good degree of arousal and ecouraging enthusiasm, and breed them ideally only once during the cycle in order to avoid overuse and get his interest back.

In the event that you still have no success breeding in-hand, I would encourage you to have a veterinarian experienced with stallions reproduction evaluate him for internal reproductive issues.

MJK
Neonate
Username: Lar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has not been injured, I always examine his penis and testicles at feeding time and he is fine. Last year he had three mares, one experienced pasture bred mare and two maiden mares, he was very gentle and sweet with them and they all fell in love with him. All of the mares are always nibbling on him and talking to him and he shows them the same attention back. Everyone gets along great and it is very peaceful to watch them graze and live together.

Could it be possible that I made a big mistake puting in three maiden mares alone without an experienced breeder with them? I really think it made a difference last year...because the maiden mares were scared and didn't want him to mount them, but once they saw the other mare being bred they soon submitted on their next heat cycles.

I also wanted to say that he is an extremely easy to handle stallion, he has always lived in a pasture with other horses, I do not believe in isolation. He has never been at the top of the pecking order in the herd. I have been riding him under saddle since he was two and a half and he is very well trained and the only place he has ever been allowed to act like a stallion is in his pasture. And he knows the difference because I have a routine with him that I always follow everyday when I am with him. He is a quiet horse, never fusses over anything, but knows that he is a stallion.

My vet suggested that I twitch the maiden mares and allow him to breed them by hand. I will try this when they come back in heat, I have already removed the mares back to their pasture. He has four other mares running with him now, and they are happy.

He lives on a very large isolated pasture with geldings except during the breeding season. They can not see or hear any other horses anywhere. I remove the geldings and haul them down to the other pasture and then introduce a small group of mares to the stud in his pasture. They will lope around and show off for a few minutes and then everyone calms right down and starts grazing. At feeding time they all come galloping up to their indiviual corrals and eat and I check everyone over. After he eats he always drops and masterbates in his corral and talks to each of the mares as they can all touch noses. One of the maiden mares got out of the pasture and when my husband put her back in he really hounded her and made her stand to be bred. I was told he was quite aggressive toward this mare and she finally submitted to him. Does this sound like low libido? Could it be that he doesn't prefer the color of the other maiden mare?

I just need to figure out why he didn't bred them and go from there. I need to get the mares currently in with him checked in a another week and see if he is breeding them as they are all experience pasture breeders. Maybe the maidens wouldn't let him...and not wanting to get kicked by them he just didn't...I am speculating and throwing out ideas.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US