SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stud's first breeding experience - HELP!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Stud's first breeding experience - HELP! « Previous Next »

Susannah Hart
Weanling
Username: Glennedynmorgans

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday afternoon our farrier brought his Premarin mare to our farm to be bred to our 4 year old Morgan stallion. Our stallion has never been bred before. Sunday evening when we brought her into the barn (she is stabled next to the stallion we had no other option ) and showed strong signs of heat squatting, squirting, winking. I called her owner Monday morning and told him that she was showing heat and asked him if he wanted to try breeding them that evening. He did not know when she came into heat and didn't want to miss this cycle.

He came over Monday evening. I handled my stallion and he handled his mare. It took a little while for my stud to figure out what to do. He sniffed her and nickered at her and finally hopped up and mounted her. He wasn't in the whole way and moved around a little bit during the process and ending up pulling out with his penis mushroomed. I don't know if he ejaculated in the mare he didn't flag and I didn't feel for pulsations. We decided to give him another go at it because he kept his erection. The second time was not successful. The mare moved around a little bit and he did not stay on to complete his job. We put them back in the barn to let them settle down and took them back out within 20 minutes or so. The third time seemed to go well, but the mare started walking forward the last few seconds so he was tip-toeing behind to stay on. Her handler did not have any type of restraint on her I did not realize this because I was so focused on my stud colt. I don't believe he successfully covered her the last time. He didn't stay up there and when he pulled out his penis was mushroomed. We decided to try again the next day.

The next day (last night) we tried again. He put a chain on his mare this time. The first cover was textbook! My stud appeared to ejaculate and then rested up there for a little bit before getting down and when he did withdraw, his penis was limp and he immediately retracted it and then decided he wanted to graze. However, as he withdrew, she squirted at the same time. Just like she did when she showed heat to him. Would you consider this cover successful? The mare owner said she pissed it out and insisted on trying again. It took my stud a while to get interested in her again. That to me seemed to say that he did ejaculate on that cover. We tried a few more times, but none were successful and I think it just made the mare frustrated. She wouldn't stand still and I think her handler was not After every unsuccessful attempt, my stud would squeal and spin around and kick out with both back feet. He never kicked her, but he kicked at her. He did not kick after the first cover. He slowly dismounted and then started grazing.

I would like to cover her again Thursday and then on Saturday if she is still in heat at that time. So, here are my questions:

1.What else can we do to get the mare to stand still? She stands still for him to mount and once he gets going, she starts fidgeting. Her owner had a chain through her mouth but that didn't seem to do any good.
2.Do you think his first cover yesterday was successful based on my observations even thought the mare squirted as he withdrew?
3.What do you think about his first day, Monday? Do you think any of this first three attempts were successful? I realize now that the attempts were too close together.

Any insight/tips/etc are greatly appreciated. All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised with my stud's behavior through his first 2 days of breeding. I thought he might act like a raging idiot, but he's actually been quite sweet except for when she seems frustrated with him and that is when he would squeal and kick out.

Thanks,
Susie

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 626
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susie,

Sounds like you had a pretty natural first few attempts. :-) I would try to stand the mare in front of a secure fence row-- if you have a wooden fence line that would be great, although its not perfect it does help to keep the mare in line a bit more and keeps her from moving about. Also if mare is not use to a chain through the mouth it may cause more problems then good, what about over the nose? 20 min. is not be enough time for a young fellow to recoup especially if he did complete his job the first time , it may take longer for him to be ready to attempt agian. The mare urinating ? You might have covered her and only if the sperm got to the place it needs to be will you possiblility be ok,although it is good to walk a bit after to try to keep the mare from peeing it out- ! The sperm is not going where the urin came from, it should be past the bladder but concern for peeing it out has some merit to it-there should be many chances for good swimmers to get where they need to be. I would continue to breed her every other day until she is no longer in season, a mare should ovulate at the end of her cycle. So if you are getting close to the end and really don't know when she first shows signs of heat and your not trying to cover other mares at the time I would possiblity try to cover her thursday am (seeing you breed her tuesday pm-that would put you at about 36 hours apart for breeding,not know the quality of sperm of your young fellow or , the life of it or the quanity or when the mare will ovulate) and then again friday pm.

Good luck

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of mares will squirt to expel excess seamen, which is pretty normal, remember it only takes one sperm to get her pregnant. I don't think that you did any thing wrong on Monday the first time is always a little awkward, and it sound like he probably got her bred the third time. Instead of a chain through the mouth, I would run it under her lip or put a twitch on her, in my experience they hold still better with those two restraints than they do with the chain through the mouth. I run a chain over the nose on my stud that is total inactive if he pays attention, but can get his attention with it if need be. If he is really bad I can get it under his lip with one hand, and that will snap him out of even the worst bad behavior. How much of a height difference is there between the two of them?

Susannah Hart
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the response! This is the only mare he's breeding right now.

I will give the mare's owner a call and see if he can do it tomorrow morning. It certainly doesn't take very long. All the time is in the prep work! Right now I don't have any way of collecting or testing his sperm.

-Susie

Susannah Hart
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There really isn't much height difference. They're both about 15.1 hands.

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I was Just thinking that a hight differece could be part of the issue with him not geting set, so much for that idea!

Susannah Hart
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're going to cover her again this evening. Wish us luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US