SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding on foal heat cycle(how long are they in foal heat cycle?)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Breeding on foal heat cycle(how long are they in foal heat cycle?) « Previous Next »

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I have my mare and her filly at the stud farm since last thurs. May 11, 2006. The stud farm has been breeding her every other day. The stud farm called me wed May 17, 2006, said she breed then as well. We wanted to pick her and the filly up today. Do we need to tease her again today first? I don't remember her being in heat this long before. We want to make sure she is breed, before we bring her home. Any ideals if she is still in heat or not.Do mares in foal heat last this long in foal heat?
thanks MELISSA

Hope Parr
Nursing Foal
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they Ultrasound her they could see if She Ovulated then you can know to take her home. Very easy to do.
Hope

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope,
The stud farm called this morning said my mare Annie wouldn't have anything to do with the stud this morning. The stud farm said she kick out a little on Wed May 17 they went ahead and breed her on Wed., maybe that is when she was going off her cycle. My husband is gone to pick her and the filly up today. I will ultrasound in about 16-20days, if she is not breed we will have to take her and the filly back. I hope she is breed, because I didn't want to have to send them back. I didn't want to leave them any longer, because I like to have hands on my foals.
thanks MELISSA

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa, A foal heat is normally shorter than a "regular" heat. Most the time about 3 days is common. But some maybe just a day others as long as 4, but again would say that 3 is typical.
Kim

Hannah MacDonald
Nursing Foal
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

I am hoping to breed my mare again this year, foal was born on May 3rd and I think she came in to heat around 5 days later but it was exceptionally short, when would you think her next cycle would be? She was like clockwork last year which obviously made putting her in foal very easy..now she has a foal at foot I will get her done AI at home but want to be sure I catch her in the next season - any suggestuions or previous experience welcomed!??!!

Anj Bascom
Weanling
Username: Anj

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everybody! I'm going crazy waiting on this years' foal but I'm already thinking about the next one! I don't want to breed her on foal heat. She was supposed to be my niece's 4-H horse this year, but she hasn't got in a lot of riding because the mare's been so uncomfortable. How long after a foal will they come into heat again? How often? (Every 6 months, 3 months, year?) How do you tell when they are in heat? What I'm wondering are, what the chances would be of breeding her this fall, around September, October and get a fall baby. Is that even possible? Otherwise I'd have to wait till next spring and wouldn't get another baby till Spring of '08. Any suggestions?

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Anj,

foal heat could go anywhere between 2 weeks to 30 days or more after they foal. then they come in every month... Is there a stud or even a gelding around? they will squat and look like they are peeing, but it will be different. they squeal a good bit at other horses and will turn the behind to a stallion or a gelding if she is in full heat...

yes a fall baby is possible, but if you plan on breeding her you might want to check with the stallion owners. some don't breed past August....

Anj Bascom
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beverly, That's so good to know! I had no idea it was every month. Yes, I've got geldings that are around her a little so that will help. This stallion owner will go for whatever! hehe My mare is a little Welsh Pony, and he's got a pair of Miniatures. He's been asking my husband (who he works with) every time he sees him, if I'm "ready to breed that mare yet?" :-) He's as excited as me to see what we end up with. My husband just tells him we've got to pop this one out first before we can do that! I dont' think it'd work otherwise. hehe

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10684
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The average foal heat ovulation occurs between 5 aqnd 15 days after foaling. The mare will then ovulate roughly every 21 days after that, assuming she does not go into lacatational anestrus.

Note that in the northern hemisphere, many mares will go into winter anestrus (no heats) starting anytime from about the end of September onwards, and will not resume regular cyclicity (with ovulation) until the following spring.

Anj Bascom
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thank you. So if I bred her around the time of the Fair, which is always in August, I could plan for a September '07 baby correct? Is that okay to do? Is it hard on the baby to go into a harsh winter at only 2 months old. We've quit having Spring and Fall around her, it's strictly Summer straight into Winter and then back.

Tony Potts
Neonate
Username: Tpotts

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you breed her in August, you are more likely to have a July baby.

Anj Bascom
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, hahahaha Sorry, I was adding the wrong direction. So I'd rather breed her as late as we could and let her get as far through the show season as she could. Thank you for correcting me!

J.R.Hamilton
Yearling
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have been in total aggreement after 33 yrs of breeding horses..until this year... think our Northern weather played some real games. Had 1 mare go just short( 1 day ) of a full yr pregnant and 1 mare goes 1 yr , 2 days.
And these mares were bred once; and once only with 15 day and 25 day confirming scans.

But again.. it's not the norm. I have always gone by 11 months and 7 days... most have all fallen in that range.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US