U/S mare and she was at 45mm on Thursday. Called for semen thurs night, they shipped friday. They shipped to a town that is at least 6 hours from us. How do you get Burnaby out of Vernon. And the Burnaby office isn't opened on Sat. So needless to say my partner was on the phone all day friday and sat and finally got it shipped on air canada into Kelowna at 2 sat afternoon. My question is this? the mare had ovulated at about 60 and the vet thinks she had just dropped it sometime in the previous couple hours. Motility was good still at about 30%. Do you think my mare will catch? AI sure made me crazy as we are very rural.
If the motility was at 30% after 24 hours I would be checking to see what it was at the time of collection - if she did not take, find out what extender they are using on the stallion, maybe they can try a different one to make it last longer or get it to you on a same day flight.
Well this was my first experience of picking up the "man in the can" from the airport. There is no pretending you don't know what is in the blue container now is there. We inseminated my mare tonight at about 7:oo pm. Yesterday she had a follicle that was 40. Unfortunatel they only sent one big batch. My vet felt it was better all in the mare at this point. Fresh, it was collected this morning and there was excellent mobility. She followed up with a shot of HCG? She will be back tomorrow to U/S to make sure that there is no fluid left in the uterus since this is the first time my mare has been AI'd. Have my fingers crossed that little buggers find the prize!
Ok Jan, Got my fingers crossed tight for you.... I bet you never thought you'd be happy to see such a delivery at the airport before, huh??? With all hope, all will be well and PREGNANT. But, we'll be happy for ovulation by the morning . Been where you are, and my mare is now 2+months along.....can't wait to know the u/s report for you in 2 weeks. Get a pic!
Thanks Heather, Vet was back today, one day after insemination and good news she ovulated sometime between last night and this afternoon. Her uterus looked good, good tone, less edema and no fluid, so now we will wait and see and the vet will be back out on June 21st for a pregnancy check. Thanks for your good thoughts. I will say that in light of some of the dialogue on here about the lack of good available vets I feel very blessed to have my vet! She is great, compassionate and never makes me feel rushed! I am happy that your mare is progressing nicely. I will follow along your journey as well.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: