SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Collecting stallion with no tease mare.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Collecting stallion with no tease mare. « Previous Next »

Hope
Weanling
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I need to collect a stallion tomorrow and may have no tease mare to stimulate him. Can anyone give me suggestions to get him stimulated to mount and collect with the av? Any help would be appreciated.
Hope Parr

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many stallions over time will respond to the location as much as a tease mare, getting an erection simply because they are taken to the breeding shed.

As far as encouraging the stallion that does not normally respond without a mare, you could try urine from an estrus mare (we store some frozen in the freezer at all times). If you do not have access to an estrus mare, you can try wiping a rag or paper towel over any mares perineum, although that will probably not be quite as effective.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling
Username: Gypsy_cob

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope, this wont be ANY help to you here and now but maybe for the future...
I'm going to put some bells on a breeding ONLY bridle / halter this year for my Boys, they will only ever wear it when serving or being collected.
A) They will quickly associate it with 'sexy time' and it will be easier to get to the stage where we can ground collect them with out a mare or even a dirty magazine in sight
and
B) They will know that when it's not on and they cant hear the bells that they need to be good, quiet boys and behave like geldings.

My parents main breeding stallion (well the one they stand to outside mares) ground collects, he is brilliant - it makes life so much easier when you need to collect on farm to ship semen

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have urine from an estrus mare in centrifuge tubes in the freezer. I usually use the same mare everytime for teasing because she is easy to catch, handle and squeals like a pig which really gets Sparky going. I started using the urine after last year when I got my mares infoal then had to ship semen later in the year. A friend has a mare that stays in heat all the time but it takes about 2 hours to catcher her if you can. And if you keep her in the barn the stallions are on edge so we usually use any mare we could catch and urine.

I don't know about the bells on the breeding halter, it would be to distracting to me. I like to listen to what is going on, I feel I might miss a warning sound or on the rare ocassion I have someone help me I might not hear something important they have to say. My boys actually listen to me, I want them to hear whoa, not jingle jingle jingle...

I use their regular leather halter and put fuzzy sheep skin covers on it when breeding.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling
Username: Gypsy_cob

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean the big bells... just the little light ones that hardly make a sound and you only need one or two :-)
It's easier for us as we have six stallions and during breeding season when we have a lot of outside mares and the boys have to be moved around here there and every where depending on which stallion is doing what and when it just makes them more focused when its NOT their turn.
We defiantly don't have nutty stallions, they serve in rope halters (we dont have knots in the halters in Australia either) and often times (with our own mares) they hand cover the mare in the paddock... one of the stallion we dont even BOTHER catching and you could have a picnic lunch while waiting for him to smooch the mare before serving and sometimes he just wont, he likes to serve a mare once and once only at the right time.
Our stallions all run with mares and foals once the mares are settled - or if we have a group that are to be bred to the same stallion. BUt anyway I digress, this is off topic.

I just find that if you have no tease mare, no frozen urine etc then bells to get the right frame of mind and ground collection are very very handy tools to have :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stallions do relate to relative noises for sure. My miniature stallion KNOWS it's time to breed when I get the leadrope out and "click" the snap. HE COMES RUNNING when he hears it. He always wears the same halter, and we dont have to take him to any special place to breed...but when he hears that noise, he KNOWS

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US