SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What would be a good start for Extender test

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » What would be a good start for Extender test « Previous Next »

hidden lake stable
Weanling
Username: Hiddenlakestable

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am ordering different types of extender on Monday to "test" my stud. I currently use E-Z Mixin 10 CST (amikacin). I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not, LOL. there were some other varriables that could have caused some issues (used a disposable shipper for one).

I extended it last night at packed it in an Equitainer. This morning I would say I have about 40-50% PMS, but there is a lot of "clumping" I'm not sure what is causing this? it isn't there when I fist extend him. I have yet to see if any pregnancies have resulted from our "collection and insemination efforts" however he does have two mares in foal and we are on the first wait for many.

I was thinking of trying: Ex Mixin: "OF+" (has Patassium Penicillin G and Polymixin B Sulfate); and the "BFT" (has Ticarcillin); along with the CST formula I'm already using as a comparision...

Would this cover most bases or should I try out "more". I am a bit limited to the brands/distributors that will sell just 1-2 packs of the extender as it makes little sense to me to buy 10 packs of all three only to use 1 of each...

any input appreciated. Do you think there is another reason for the clumping? should I let the extended semen sit in the incubator (or cool it) for 4 hours or shouls I just stick it right in the mare? I have been going straight from Lab to the mares....

Chuck Lewter
Weanling
Username: Chuck

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tested all brands with my stallion for getting the best results. By far, INRA96 which is a liquid extender has always given the best results.

I'm guessing the "clumping" you are seeing is paticulates in the powdered extenders that are not fully dissolving? I have seen that with semen that I have recieved from other farms as well.

INRA96 is more expensive, comes in a 200ml jar and you can use what you need then store the rest. It does have an expiration date, however it can also be frozen and thawed for using up to a yr after the exp. date. Not sure if this is recommended on the intructions but I have done this with mine and never had an issue.

Several places online sell it anywhere from 21.95 and up. I HIGHLY recommend testing your stud with it. Good Luck

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3276
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EZ-Mixin' is merely a brand name Kenney extender, so you might want to consider getting the semen extender test kit from Exodus Breeders which gives a variety to test with. I would also get a bottle of INRA '96 and test with that as well.

Do bear in mind that there is not any one extender that will work well for all stallions - including INRA '96! :-)

Alternatively, if you would prefer avoiding the aggravation of all the analyses, and would also like the unbiased accuracy of computer-assisted semen analysis, you might be interested in the cooled semen evaluation service that we offer.

hidden lake stable
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I do intend to do that for next year! (hoping to have more outside mares as next year will be first year advertising and he has rare old blood).

Anyway, for this year, i was just gonna test stuff myself. One it is good practice for me and him, and 2 it will have to be done again the beginning of next season, and I'm not shipping this year, so not as important.

i WILL look onto the exodus deal for this year. that sounds good!!! :-) and since he stored with *I think* the "next generation" with Gentamiacin, I don't think the INRA is required just yet. If I still run into issues, then I'll go that route

i thought the difference in extenders was the antibiotic, not the base? no?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3282
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's not just different antibiotics, there are a variety of different bases - NFDMS, Dual sugar, milk proteins, etc.

hidden lake stable
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos!!!

We are at least getting somewhere. I stored him in an Equitainer this time, he was about 40-50% motility at 24 hrs, but by 48 there was very little PMS... lots of wigglers/trying to move, but not going anywhere.... I packed some more tonight we'll see how it goes! and the real test is if the mares take... :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US