SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hand breeding - need some tips

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Hand breeding - need some tips « Previous Next »

Alex Abel
Weanling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breeding season has officialy started today ( at least on our ranch ). I need some input on hand breeding. I do everything on the ranch, from feeding, foaling out the mares and breeding them this year etc. I have no help. I am going to hand breed all the mares this year, since last year the previous ranch manager pasture bred and didnt write down any dates or info, so I am playing the guessing time for this years foalings. Can anyone give me some hints and tips on how to handle breeding season when you are all by yourself. I bred our first mare this morning. Our stud was a gentlemen and I didnt have any problems hand breeding him to our tovero maiden mare. But not every mare will be as nice as she was. I tied her and then walked the stud over there. they talked for a little bit and then the stallion bred her on his third attempt. No problems there. Anyone on this board who does it all by her/himself ??

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Alex., My husband has had to on occassion done the same as you did today. There has been a couple of times that I was recovering from a c-section myself and couldn't assist in the barn and not being able to get any other help he did it jsut the way you did. Sometimes teasing the mare in the barn first , side by side in stalls that they can see each other and touch each others noses through the cattle panels. Just be very careful and learn how each mare reacts to the stallion.

Alex Abel
Weanling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah...i know I will have to be carefull, because if something goes wrong I'll have to handle it by myself. Thanks for your ideas. The only way for me to tease the mares is to walk them over to the stallion pen and let them sniff over the fence. I would prefer to be able to do the opposite, but its not possible. I feel safer when I have control over the stud. The way the property is set up isnt perfect for a breeding facility, so I have to deal with what I have. All the mares are in different pastures on 30 acres, so I have to do lots of walking, haha.

E Watkins
Yearling
Username: Evie

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex- I would just caution you about tying the mare and leading the stallion up to her, we've had some pretty hairy situations where the stallion ended up crossing under the mares' rope. If you could build a small corral where you could just let the stallion get his job done with the mare untied, it might be safer for you. We actually use our round pen at times but in the past we had a small square pen where we'd tease the mare from the outside then take her into the pen if she is receptive *first taking the stud to the other side of the pen where he was held or tied till the mare was brought in and the handler safely out of the way. Handling the breeding alone could sure be risky, best advice, BE CAREFUL. (even the best of stallions can be unpredictable at times)

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also caution on doing hand breeding by yourself. Unless you know the stallion and all the mares and what to look out for. Some mares Kick even the calm ones. Some folks use breeders hobbles. If you must do live cover without help I would recomend those but there are dangers in them as well pasture breeding( I pasture breed but it is a controled breed not random.
Since the stallion is use to pasture breeding then I would do as one member suggested already, build a small pen or use a round pen( great thing there). I always house the mares next to my stallion and they have a 6 ft fence with two hot wires so there is no touchy feely but plenty of foreplay so I can see how the mare is going to react and if she is truly ready for him. Some mares will only take a stallion for a few days..My paint mare was receptive only 2 days during her heat cycle!

Pita
Neonate
Username: Pita

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use three handlers for safety walk the mare up facing a wall, and use two handler's with the stallion and lungelines on each side. It works extremely well. We even had one mare go into a kicking frenzing and was able to hold the stallion up in the air rearing long enough for them to more the mare forward and no one got hurt.horses or people.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US