SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

"short cycling"

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » "short cycling" « Previous Next »

Tracy Larson
Neonate
Username: Tlcmsrn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first experience with AI and transported semen. First problem is this mare is quite about her cycles, ie if she leans in the direction of the stallion breed her. Well a couple of weeks ago she sniffed my stud with a pleasant expression, so I hauled her to the vet and had her USed. She had a 45cm folicle. The vet thought we wouldn't be able to get the semen in time so we decided to short cycle her. I gave 2ml prostaglandin 5 days later (monday), the vet said she would ovulate 14 days later. The stallion owner said she should come into heat 4-7 days later. Who is right? I am getting very nervous. After doing reseach I know the prostaglandin was given to soon, did we miss the opportunity to short cycle?

Kristen B.
Weanling
Username: Kristen_b

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ovulating and coming into heat are 2 different things. A mare may be in heat for 7 days or more, then ovulate. I do think 14 days from the injection is a bit long. My mares usually come into heat (estrus) about 3 days after the shot, then will ovulate in the next 5-7 days.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3258
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an article on our site entitled "I gave my pare Prostaglandin, but it didn't work" that will answer most if not all of your question I think.

Here are a couple of points to consider:
  • 2 ml of Prostaglandin F is unnecessary and causes unpleasant side-effects in the mare (sweating, cramping etc.). One-tenth of the dose two days in a row has the same result without the side-effects (i.e. 0.2 ml x 2 consecutive days). We use knowledge of this protocol (which is almost 10 years old) as a "barometer" as to whether the attending veterinarian is knowledgeable about equine reproduction...
  • Presuming lack of a large follicle present on the ovary or a non-receptive CL (see linked article), the mare should return to estrus in about 3-5 days after treatment with Prostaglandin F;
  • As Kristen says the mare will be likely to ovulate in the next 5-7 days;
  • Statistically, research shows that ovulations are an average of 7-9 days after being treated with Prostaglandin F.
In view of the above, you might be well-advised to find a different veterinarian who has more knowledge about equine reproduction as if your vet has advised you as you indicate so far, it appears that they are not "up to snuff" on the subject, and it will likely cost you money and headaches...

As an aside, if the mare is a "silent estrus mare", you might want to try using P&E to pinpoint estrus and ovulation (follow those links for more details). The biorelease formulations from BET Pharmacy allow a single treatment rather than the 10-day treatment, and in fact the use of biorelease Altrenogest (from the same source) is proving equally reliable in timing.

Tracy Larson
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos! As you pointed out my vet is not very experience in Equine reproduction, they on average only do 2 AI's a year, but unfortunatly they are the only vets within 75 miles that will even touch it (possibly 100 miles)! It has caused me alot of headaches and money, but I can't back out now. In the future I plan to only AI on a limited basis and I am trying to increase my knowledge base so I can work thru my vets lack of experience. Truthfully I wouldn't have even signed the contract if another vet hadn't lied to me, I would have just found a local stallion for live cover or left the mares open. Again Thank you!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would strongly encourage you to look at the P&E / Biorelease Altrenogest alternative. They will pinpoint ovulation to the day in about 80% of cases, and with cooled shipped semen will increase your odds drastically.

Tracy Larson
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!

Chris
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I may butt in...I have only ever used 1ml of Lutelyse when PG'ing our mares when necessary, am interested in the 2 shot dose protocol and the low quantity required...I guess you're looking at 24 hours between doses?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3297
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ Chris: Yes, approximately 24 hours (it doesn't have to be to the minute). If using Estrumate (cloprostenol) then one can use a single low-dose treatment. If you have a mare that is singularly hard to give an injection to, you can use insulin syringes with very fine needles using the low-dose protocol as it is such a low volume (be careful that the needle doesn't break though - unlikely, but has happened). Sub-cu is fine as well as IM.

Chris
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos...have used the insulin syringes for some before, so much easier to measure the smaller doses

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US