SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Advice needed - mare owner wants to do a "walk on'' serve at the stud" ...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Advice needed - mare owner wants to do a "walk on'' serve at the stud" « Previous Next »

walk on (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.68.139.254
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I was just looking for some advice, I have a first season stallion who is standing to a limited number of outside mares.

He has been joined to 8 mares now, 6 going in foal first time, 2 going in foal second heat.

I have a a person wanting to bring 2 mares (one maiden mare and one previously foaled mare) who lives about 3 hours drive away. She wanted to do a "walk on" to the stud which means she'll bring them to the stud when they are in full heat (3rd day)have them served once then take them home with her.

All of the mares he has served so far have been in heat for 5 days, I serve them on the 3rd day, once the forth and once the fifth. By the fifth day they have ovulated BUT one mare was on heat for 8 days and did not ovulate till the 8th day.

I am slightly concerned as I would have prefered the mares to have stayed on the farm whilst being in heat and kept for a further 3 weeks to make sure they are in foal then send them home but I think the mare owner was looking to cut on the costs of agistment and also if she left them here it would mean:

she would have to make a trip to bring them here, drop them off and go home and then roughly a month later come back and pick them up providing they are in foal.

But with this walk on business, there here for one day and served, if they didnt ovulate within 48hours they would not get in foal as the sperm has died.

Should I advise her to bring the mares on the forth day of heat or try to see if she will leave the mares here. I'd be happy to offer walk on if she lived only 10minutes down the road but when she lives that far away I can see she is trying to save money but could end up spending more. ie takes them home, one or both mares didnt take and needs to bring them back. What should I advise her, or what should we do?

(P.S She is very keen to use my stallion becuase of his colour and affordable service fee ( about $300 below value) as other stallions in her area are not the desired colour/breed and they are about 3 times the price of my stallion who is just as good or even better)

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With horse breeding there is always cost. I would be very aprehensive, espeacially because one of the mares is a maiden. I think she should consider herself lucky she has found a quality stallion at a affordable price. Even if she left the mares there for 7 - 9 days to make sure they have been served at the right times. She will still save on agistment costs and have made sure that her mares have beeen bred at the crutial times. The only other thing is to have them folicle checked by a vet prior to them arriving. At least then you have a better idea on when they may ovulate. Of course there is more cost invovled in this method. We don't allow a walk on service here unless the mares are locals (within 30 mins away). It just makes for to much work in the end.

Lazy IDH
Neonate
Username: Lazyidh

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've just built a new breeding barn complete with phantom, stocks, and lab. We are hoping to specialize in "walk-on's" since we only have five mare stalls and are only the two of us running this establishment. Folks can use their own vets, bring the report to us when it is time, and we'll AI their mare and they can take her home. There are quite a few large animal vets (without AI set-ups of their own), and quite a few breeders within a 50-75 mile radius of us, and we're hoping to reach that clientele. We only do AI...we feel that they can do live cover anywhere. Besides collection and insemination, we will also be set up to do shipping and semen evaluation. We did this with a client of our own last year and it worked wonderfully. They were happy and we were happy and their mare settled in one insemination. They saved money on boarding, got to use their own vet whom they knew and trusted, and kept their "baby" at home under their own care. We're hoping that we are offering a new alternative to the months of boarding a mare and the tremendous costs to the owner of such an endeavor. Opinions??? Is this a pipedream or is there a need for such a service?

Lori
Neonate
Username: Lori

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that this method of walk on breeding would appeal to many people, the only drawback are those mare owners who dont' really KNOW their mare is in heat, they just THINK they know.
But for me, I would much rather do things this way or I do AI, I dont' leave my mare anywhere anymore, bad experience with that.
It wasn't that they were mishandling the mare or anything, she just did not get out of the stall at all for the 5 days she was there, except to be bred.
I think it is a great idea.
Lori

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree to the 'walk on' only if both mares are checked by Vet before hand to determine that they are in fact close to ovulation. That would take away from any potential savings and may deter the owner enough to consider leaving the mares.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't have any trouble doing "walk" on breeding. We ourselves have taken our mares to a local TB stallion for "walk" on breeding. We normally don't seem to have a problem determining when a mare is in season and the owners of the stallion allow us to come back on a every other day basis. It allowed them not to have a extra mare around and it cut cost for us as well. We always settled the mare on the first cycle. I would not allow this to continue to happen if there appeared to be problems with a cycle and knowing when a mare is in estrus. Alot of common folk don't understand how to figure out when their mare is in season, but if you are dealing with people that breed every year and multiple mares then they most often know their animals and how to tell what when their animal is in heat or close to the time, knowing how to figure out how to count and time it from their last heat cycle. I don't have a problem doing "walk" on breeding providing the mares cycles can be figured out.

Keystone Foxtrotters (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.71.220.241
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have had great success with walk on breedings (we jokingly refer to them as "drive thru breedings")
As long as the mareowner understands the pro's and con's of their decision,it really it the EASIEST for everyone involved. We require 48 hours notice they are coming in, and that a vet has examined the mare to be bred (we AI). I do recommend offering the service.

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We call it van serving here and we encourage it. Takes the pressure off our paddocks. The main thing is that you make sure all mares are vet checked first. Cultures and follicle growth, etc.

Rousseau
Neonate
Username: Epona5

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly, I always do it with my mares, but have them checked for folicle size first, they were always pregnant first time.

Chuck Lewter
Neonate
Username: Chuck

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been on both side of the coin on this issue. I had mares that I would take to the stallion and now I have a stallion who serves outside mares.

I personally like the idea and think it's a great situation. Less liability and chance for something to happen to someone else's mare.

The key to successfull breedings are the vet and knowledge of the mare's owner as to timing of ovulation.

When I was hauling my mares to the stallion, I did get some flack and some hard feelings over not leaving my mare, however, if the mare is going to ovulate within the next 24-36hrs guaranteed, from what I have studied, there is NO reason not to take your mare home after being served by the stallion.

Anonymous

Posted From: 211.29.211.141
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took 2 mares to a stallion to be covered this year 'walk on'. The stallion was lovely so we wanted to use him, however the properties fencing was not safe and we didn't want to leave our mares there. Both were maidens and were follicle tested the day before. One was given a drug to ensure she ovulated. She proved difficult and we were unable to get a live cover. We had to collect and AI the next morning. Both mares are in foal with only the one cover and the AI via 'Drive thru'. I think as long as the mares are follicle tested to make sure they are 'ready' one cover is all you need and 'walk in' is great. I'd hate to just rely on the mare owners just thinking that their mare is in season though and hope the mare has 'read the book' and ovulates on the day she's meant to!

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. The other problem we have faced is mares coming in who haven't been teased. They just get a follicle and the vet says she's right. But occaisionally, they arrive very anti and have to wait a day or two. Most annoying when you have to re shuffle your serves to accomodate and they aren't ready yet.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US