SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How many times do you serve??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » How many times do you serve?? « Previous Next »

Vicki Yeates
Neonate
Username: Niko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, as I am involved in a debate with breeding friends at the moment over how many times to serve mares. I personally prefer to follicle test, and serve once. Others don't follicle test, and serve once daily for at least two days, then a day off then once more if the mare accepts. Alternatively, one breeder serves TWICE daily for three days (poor mare!!!) It all seems a bit of overkill to me, but then you don't always have clients who want to pay extra $$ for follicle testing etc.

Cheers
Niko

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10357
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The standard unless there is a known fertility issue is to not breed until the third day of standing estrus ("heat") and then every other day until the mare will not stand for the stallion any longer.

Sperm survive for 48-72 hours (stallion variable), so breeding every other day is sufficient. Breeding every day or more often will result in depletion of gonadal reserves and potentially increase inflammatory response in the mare to unacceptable levels - especially in older mares or mares with delayed uterine clearance issues.

Most mares ovulate in the last 24-48 hours of standing estrus, so breeding prior to day 3 of estrus is again overkill.

There are of course exceptions, but following the above outline - as I say with a stallion of known fertility - will result in a high precentage of pregnancies - higher than if you breed every day or more often! :-)

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree with Jos in the servicing methods. This method has worked well for us and have a very high success rate.

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it depends on the stallion's workload. We have two standing at the moment. One is fully booked and covers 2 mares a day, sometimes three, so each mare gets one cover.
The other boy isn't so busy and covers his every second day, unless she has clearance issues.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been very successful in covering a mare every other day after the third day. When we have to we will use the stallion twice in one day. Once early in the am and then try to space it about 10-12 hours apart, giving the stallion a chance to rest, still covering the mare on the every other day basis. I believe what Jos is stating -correct me if I am wrong , is that you have a better success rate on the mare by not over breeding her as you can cause inflamation for the mare if breeding twice in a day and continueing to do so as well as the life of the sperm permits the every other day breeding, thus not over using your stallion on ONE mare, providing coverage for MORE mares . The stallion can normally handle a breeding twice a day --under most situations and still have quality production, although once a day is ideal. If I have a fully booked stallion we will not breed a mare every day (enless the situation provides for a reason), the life of the sperm permiits for the every other day breeding and allows for MORE mares to be covered in the SAME AMOUNT OF DAYS.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10359
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[Kim posted her reply while I was concocting my own! She has more succinctly said what I ramble on about below... :-)]

Remember my comments were referencing breeding a single mare - if one is breeding more than one mare at a time then of course more than one covering per day may be required of the stallion. There would still be no need to deviate from the above plan for each mare though unless there were fertility issues with the stallion.

Even though dealing with a forced live cover situation (e.g. TB's), it is useful to collect and evaluate the stallion's ejaculate at the beginning of the season for recovery time. This is achieved by collecting the stallion twice at different intervals. The second ejaculate, if collected one hour after the first, should contain about half the number of sperm of the first ejaculate, with slightly increased motility. If it is found that this is not the case, and the second ejaculate is of a lesser quality than anticipated, then more than one hour may be required between breedings (so one would experiment to see what interval is required). One can also take this a step further and collect more than twice during the day to see if the gonadal reserves "hold up" on multiple breedings.

Remember that the average ejaculate contains enough sperm to provide between 5 and 15 insemination doses, so the average stallion should have no problem breeding multiple mares a day with successful pregnancy outcome (assuming adequate interval between breedings). The number of sperm needed to achieve a pregnancy is 500 million progressively motile, but one does not see a distinct reduction in pregnancy rates until fewer than 100 million PM sperm are inseminated.

Live cover and AI are - contrary to what many live cover afficiandos will tell you - essentially the same thing when it comes to where the sperm are deposited! A stallion's penis penetrates into, and not infrequently through, the cervix at the time of ejaculation - which means that he is ejaculating directly into exactly the same place that a pipette is placed, the uterus! Consequently we can safely extrapolate the numbers of sperm required to establish a pregnancy with AI to live cover as well.

(Message edited by Jos on November 23, 2005)

(Message edited by Jos on November 23, 2005)

Niko
Neonate
Username: Niko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great information! thanks!

The mare that just went home was served on day three, five and because the tart was still receptive, day seven. I imported him three months ago, so he is still new to me, and only just developing a reputation here. His semen was evaluated on his first ejaculate at pre-purchase and motility was 70% - this was pre-stud season, and no covers since 04 season. His semen sent interstate had a great rating. Jos I am interested as to what in your opinion is "forced" live cover. As in hand serving? I would love to do predominantly AI ... Try telling people here that tho! His last mare was a pure TB and BOY was she a tart ... Give it to me baby *lol*.

Thanks for the replies.

Niko

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10361
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Forced live cover" = a registry that is so retrograde in perspective that it will only register animals that are bred as a result of live cover (no AI).

Take a look at our article discussing AI in the TB breed for more details.

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting article, Jos. I was just discussing this with my boss today.
We have had a couple of shuttle stallions over the last few years, and our newest boy will shuttle to America this year, so we are aware of the problems dealing with valuable stallions.

One issue that worries us with shuttle horses is the possible spread of disease. We are lucky in Australia. But with stallions coming from all over the world, I feel it's only a matter of time until we are facing many of the devestating diseases that other countries face.

Another issue we have is distance from the top stallions. I am in Western Australia. The majority of shuttle horses and even the better colonial breds stand in the Eastern States, almost a week by road, and planes are hard to get out our way. So we face the added risks of travel sickness and huge expenses above the service fees, if we choose to use those horses. And in recent years we have seen a surge the occurence of EHV related abortions. (None on our farm, but some close by)

Gynna Meiller
Neonate
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We do live cover in pasture every other day with our mares as well as outside mares. So far we have 100% conseption rate.If the stallions sperm is viable for 48 hrs then there is no need to wear out the mare or the stallion and you stand less chance of having sexual organ problems as well

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US