SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Very Small Stallion looking for breeding ramp ideas to reach taller mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Very Small Stallion looking for breeding ramp ideas to reach taller mares « Previous Next »

Mary Hyduck
Neonate
Username: Redeemed

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 27 1/2" Miniature stallion that I hand breed for his safety, and he knows what to do, but needs some elevation help. We have already tried the hill method. and the hole digging method- so please dont send me there. ( it is not fool proof) I am looking for something a bit more structured, like a ramp type structure that can be used to assist with breeding taller mares. I have seen one of these long ago but did not get to see up close. It even had a holding place for the mare.
If anyone has info on how to build something like this that can assist with the the breeding of a smaller stallion to taller mares, can they please share it with me. I would very much appreciate it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, being the breeder of a 26.5" stallion, I have a bit of experience with this. LOL It's not easy, is it Mary? I tried the hill, the hole, everything you can imagine....and ended up with a modified pit. In my search for the perfect breeding setup, I ran across this link (scroll down a bit) http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G2790

It gives great ideas for the mares end of things...but is not technically a ramp. However, when you set this set up over a 6 or 8 inch deep hole (big enough for the entire mare to stand in, not just the back feet) and you add a kickboard at the back, it becomes perfect. It puts your mare down low and containable...and the stallion is still at ground level, and will not step off or fall into the hole. My kickboard is removeable allowing the mares to enter the pit without a huge step down. I put the mare in, then drop the kickboard...stallion can do his thing without slipping over the edge. After trying all other options, i found this to be relatively easy to do, and the safest for everyone involved. I will take a pic of it when I go feed this morning and post it.

Mary Hyduck
Neonate
Username: Redeemed

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Dianna! I am excited to see what you have had success with. Yes, not easy is almost an understatment, as we have had stallions end up upside down under the mare with the hill method, and lose footing and fall in the ditch with the hole method, lol so I'm glad you understand.

(Message edited by Redeemed on March 10, 2011)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US