SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help, trying to teach stallion to live cover after AI....

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Help, trying to teach stallion to live cover after AI.... « Previous Next »

Lori Blatter
Neonate
Username: Kmkpaints

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 year old stallion, Has always been collected AI. Probably has been collected 30 times in his life overall. No problems during collections, most the time ejaculates on first mounting. He did require a mare very "in heat"... Not real aggressive breeder.

Due to change in circumstance he is now being asked to live cover. Mare is standing great, he will mount, does a nice job mounting correctly, he is able to penetrate and will thrust several times but seems to just give up. He will dismount and stand, and if allowed will get another erection and remount but the same process occurs. We allowed him two trys this morning, and then put him away.

We brought him back out, and while he was a bit more aggressive about breeding, again he just seemed to give up. Almost like "this is too much work"

I gave him a couple tries again and put him away.

I have never had this problem before. The closest repro place is an hour away and as a last resort I would imagine I could take him to collect each time I had a mare to breed but would rather not when I can do it for free at home!

Baraaks_Storm
Weanling
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope someone can help with this as I am no expert. My boy is going on 6 but I use him for both. He's mostly for my own mares and they are live cover but I've used him for AI a few times as well and he's never had a problem.

Maybe the mare isn't showing enough?

Lori Blatter
Neonate
Username: Kmkpaints

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is being really patient and showing pretty well (better than most) I have beat my head against the wall all day.

He is of a shorter stature (14.3) and she is a bit taller 15.1 or so.

We tried several times this day and honestly during one of the times I actually noticed he wasnt penetrating completely and I have to wonder if he isnt getting enough stimulation and that is more the issue.

Tomorrow I am going to try and put her on a downhill, and see if that helps. If it doesnt I broke out the colorado AV and will attempt to collect him off her...

I did notice he was belled out a little when dismounting but not like my other stallion and only once was he breathing hard. He did also kind of start having some muscle trembling the one time, so again wondering if he is just reaching to much and since he is not a high libido stallion, just too much NOT RIGHT to get our desired results..

So one by one I guess I will pick off each issue .. I was hoping someone would have some other ideas here...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US