SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

First visit to the vet for AI collection: What to expect?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » First visit to the vet for AI collection: What to expect? « Previous Next »

Megan Lambdin
Neonate
Username: Friesiansporthorse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Everyone
I am new to the board and have a couple of questions.
I have a 4 year old stallion that I am going to start breeding this spring. He has never been bred before and this is my first time on the stallion end of things so it is a learning experience for me.
I am going to be doing AI with him, no live cover.
I do not have the facilities myself to do collection so he will be going to the vet for that. My question is what can I expect when he goes for the first time? I know this may sound so completely stupid of me to ask but all the people I know who own stallions do live cover breeding’s.
My stallion is so well behaved at home, he truly never shows studdish behavior other than some yelling here and there and of course dropping out when he feels the need that I wonder if he will be hard to train on the phantom. I figured I would get him a "sex halter" so he can distinguish going in the trailer for collection and going in the trailer for shows etc.

Anyway, any advice and input you experienced breeders can give me would be most helpful.

I have already found this board to be so informative!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, there is really no way to predict what you are going to encounter. The responses are going to be variable, based upon the animal himself, and the manner, competence and experience level of those that are handling him as well as the setup they are handling him in.

Your results may vary from no response at all to a simple straightforward "Oh! I've got it! This is fun!" result, with various points in between.

If things do not appear to be going well, don't hesitate to ask questions, and if you don't get a good explanation, ask more! Not everyone is competent at training a stallion for AI, and although there are some excellent veterinarians out there doing a great job if it, the addition of "DVM" (or VMD or MRCVS or whatever!) after a name does not automatically mean that they know what they are doing and are good at it! :-)

Good luck!

Chris Taylor
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck for your breeding venture, its very exciting. One tip: Make sure he's comfortable with having his penis washed, something you can practice at home with him prior to taking him to your vet. Just warm water will do sponged on gently and be sure to get up in the base of the shaft where all the reddy/black smegma accumulates. If you are able to do this it will make the vet or breeding tech's job easier as it will be one less thing they need to condition him for.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US