SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Feel of the cervix

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Feel of the cervix « Previous Next »

Karen Knight
Neonate
Username: Sparkskaren

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare scaned the other week and vet told me she had a 5cm folicle but looking at the womb she was not in season. He then told me to inseminate anyway as she would Ovulate any day. When i tried her cervix was well an truly close. there is only one vet in my area that scans mares and he is booked up a lot of the time doing TB testing on cows in the area. Anyway that was on the tuesday evening. I did felt the cervix on the thursday night and it was open and soft so ordered the semen. when the semen came the cervix was still open and soft but some of the tone was starting to come back. do youi think i missed Ovulation? just tried to book vet for the 16 day scan but he is unavailable until she is 20 days gone. This is only my 3 mare that i have done AI on the frist two are in foal so still getting used to the feeling of everything and it doent help when you can not scan.

hedgerow farm
Yearling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was she teasing in to your stallion?

Karen Knight
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she doesnt really tease to the stallions but she did not try to take his head off either. she is only normally in season for 2 days she will pace up and down the fence line in the field and run around the stable and she pees a lot more.(not the normal inseason pee) A part from that she just stands there and looks cute while the stallion is licking her all over.

hedgerow farm
Yearling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not want to spend money on shipped semen if I was in your situation. It sounds like your are more aware of your mares cycle than the vet.

"vet told me she had a 5cm folicle but looking at the womb she was not in season. He then told me to inseminate anyway as she would Ovulate any day"

You got to be kidding, I'd listen to your mare and stallion and breed accordingly before I'd listen to you vet. I wish you luck, let us know what happens.

Karen Knight
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had another vet yesterday to PD she was not in foal which did not suprise me. although over the last few days her coat has got a lot shinner. which in the past i have joke that a mare was in foal and i nearly always get it right.

Anyway he told me she had a 5cm folicle and to book the semen.

Inseminated this morning cervix was relaxed. this mare cervix feels a lot diferent to the others i have felt so far. it is kind of like a long tube about 3-4 inches pointing outwards, is this normal?

Now a case of waiting another 16 days before scaning again.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All cervixes are not created equal. They come in all shapes and sizes. There is no "standard".

Karen Knight
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how long should chilled semen live in the mare? the stud told me that no chilled semen will live more then 24 hour is this correct?

If i keep one of the insemination doses for the following day (24 hours later) would the semen still be of any use?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be stallion-variable and can also be affected by environmental issues. With some stallions, the semen may still be fertile 72 hours or more after collection; with other stallions it may only be viable for 12-24 hours. Poor preparation or use of inappropriate shipping methods can also reduce duration of viability.

If the stallion farm says the semen from this stallion is viable only for 24 hours after delivery, you will have to presume that they have checked the duration of viability and are telling you what they have observed, even though other stallions may have a better duration.

You should not put a second dose in the mare prior to 24 hours after the first insemination, so I would recommend microscopic evaluation of the second dose at or >24 hours after the first, and if you still have >100 million progressively motile and morphologically normal sperm present, go ahead and inseminate it.

Karen Knight
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry for all the questions but hopefully only a few more

I know this will vairy between mares but once Ovulated how long does it take for the cerix to close.

And just for intrest how do you check the duration of viability of semen once it has been inseminated.

I inseminimated tuesday AM think the mare OV on wednesday as cervix was starting to close down this morning.Do you think that i was covered?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The cervix will usually start closing once the circulating progesterone levels exceed 1 ng/ml. This is usually 2-3 days after ovulation. It is generally considered safe to perform intra-uterine treatments up to about 48 hours post-ovulation for this reason (although not necessarily desirable - it depends a lot on what is being used).
  2. Other than finding a pregnancy in about 15 days, there is no way to confirm viability of the sperm once inseminated. All one can do is evaluate a sample prior to ovulation and extrapolate the likelihood of viability once in the uterus.
  3. There's no point in guessing. If you want to know for sure have the mare ultrasounded during the breeding period.

Karen Knight
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this mare has now throw something else at me. she is showing to the mares in the next field. friday her cervix was closed have not felt today as did not want to do feel cervix and risk upsetting things in there. i have never seen this mare show in season before ever. could she still be infoal from the first service last week. or should i inseminate again if the cervix is open. Vets have told me that they would not be able to find a Embryo before 16 days so scanning is out. How often do mares come back into season again this quickly.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a mare returns to estrus with fewer than 10 or so days of diestrus, it is typically a sign of the presence of a uterine irritant, typically a uterine infection.

Having said that, one cannot necessarily take a demonstration by the mare herself that appears to be estrus to be so. In particular, if she has been put out with some dominant animals, she may merely be showing submissive behaviour, which can take the form of estrus-like behaviour.

If the mare's cervix was open last week, and is still open, are you absolutely sure that she did in fact ovulate, or could she still be in estrus?

The bottom line is that it sounds as though this mare requires some closer management with more regular ultrasounding during estrus to confirm follicular development, correct time of breeding, and ovulation.

Karen Knight
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have booked her in for a scan on tuesday, if she is not in foal then i will sell her as she might be very well bred but the nearest good horse vet is 200 miles away.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US