SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

High dose of HCG?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » High dose of HCG? « Previous Next »

Mabel
Nursing Foal
Username: Mabel

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will a 5 cc dose of HCG given at the same time of Al-ing a mare with a 40mm or greater follicle, reduce pregnancy rates? My (cow) vet says 5 cc of HCG is fine...and yet I've read online that that might reduce pregnancy rates? Most places say to give 2.5cc/3cc. I've got small Arabians if that makes a difference. Just curious......

(Message edited by Mabel on May 07, 2010)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hCG is not generally produced in liquid form, but as a dry powder that has to be reconstituted with a sterile diluent before use. Consequently, one cannot measure it in liquid volume (i.e. by cc's or ml's) but one needs to determine the number of international units (iu) that are used.

Chorulon is typically marketed in 5,000 and 10,000 iu vials, often with 10 ml of sterile diluent. You therefore need to know which vial size was used, as it would mean that (presuming 10 ml of diluent) either 2,500 or 5,000 iu's were used. Alternatively a smaller amount of diluent could have been used to produce a more concentrated injection.

The normal dosage for a 1,000-1,500 lb horse has been 1,500-3,300 iu's, although recent research indicates that use of as low as 750 iu's is adequate (we now routinely use 1,000 iu's). Treatment with excess of 5,000 iu's has been seen to suppress ovulation.

The bottom line is that you can't tell if your mare was overdosed unless you know the number of iu's used, but if she ovulates, then you are OK, as the only negative impact would be a suppression of ovulation.

Mabel
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jos. Yes, I use Chorulon, the 10,000 IU vials. I'm not sure what the conversion is for iu to cc (or if there is one?) but I know that I dilute the 10,000 IU with 10 ml and split that between two mares (each mare gets 5 cc).

If the only way a high dose of HCG can reduce pregnancy rates is by suppressing ovulation than I know I'm ok. All my mares are ovulating within 24-36 hours post breeding, sometimes less. At least I know now that I can split a bottle of HCG between three mares and still be fine.

Thanks a bunch! That helps a lot, Jos.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend splitting it 4 ways or more. You can draw the other doses up into syringes and then freeze them for later use (in the same breeding season).

You cannot convert iu's to cc's. they are different measures - it would be like trying to convert acres to gallons! If you are diluting 10,000 iu's with 10 cc of sterile diluent, then you have a concentration of 1,000 iu/cc.

Mabel
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, perfect! Thanks so much, Jos. I will split it four ways or more from now on.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US