SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Number of times a stallion can cover...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Number of times a stallion can cover... « Previous Next »

D A Taylor
Neonate
Username: Tiffany

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiya, Can anyone here tel me the average expected number of covers for a stallion at pasture breeding? A.I.? Hand breeding? My colt has finally come of age and it's been a while since I owned a Stallion. He has a list of waiting mares and I just want to know how many I should limit him to... I have no problem with pasture breeding so long as the mares are not in the paddock with him for more than 12 hours at a time(so really it's more like hand breeding).

cathy Cook
Neonate
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't do pasture breeding, too dirty. We do live cover and studs cover as many as 150 to 200 mares. that of course is with an experienced stallion crew and management. rule of thumb for you though , it takes a stud about 2 hours to recover enough sperm to rebreed. And if you don't have a micoscope to check the dismount semen the best way to determine if the mare was covered or "cheated" is to let the stud hang around if he drops again, he cheated her. So breed again.

Lisa Weir
Neonate
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We limit our stallions to a maximum of three covers a day. On particulary hot days through summer, we will do two only. Particularly with the shuttle stallions. They don't seem to handle the heat.
If you hand serve, you can check for ejaculation by placing your hand at the base of the penis. There will be pulses with ejaculation. Some stallions won't tolerate this, though and if not, Cathy's suggestion is the only way to go!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10262
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The number of times a stallion can breed in a day is completely stallion-dependent, and without performing a total-daily-sperm-output (TDSO) and a recovery evaluation it is impossible to give an accurate number. The TDSO evaluation is where a stallion is collected for 5 or 7 days in a row (depending upon testicular size - large testicles=7 days) and then on the next day the number of sperm in the ejaculate represents the number of sperm a stallion produces each day. The recovery evaluation is where a stallion is collected twice an hour apart and the second ejaculate will indicate how long he needs to have to recover sperm numbers in order to be able to succesfully breed a mare and get her pregnant.

These numbers will vary from stallion to stallion, so trying to work with an "average" can lead you into difficulties, or you may be fine, but you really don't want to find you're in trouble with a bunch of open mares... :-(

Two other points in reference to the above posts:
  • A dismount sample is not necessarily a reliable indicator of ejaculation, as if you capture only gel-fraction of the ejaculate, there will quite probably be no sperm in it, and you will be led to believe he has not ejaculated. I discussed this in the thread on the board here. One can never use a dismount sample to establish sperm concentration accurately.
  • Feeling for urethral pulses is more reliable, but there are some conditions that will result in ejaculation (and pulsation) of seminal plasma and not sperm, so one can be misled using that technique too.
Bottom line? For accuracy, collect and evaluate under the microscope!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US