SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Sperm Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Sperm Question « Previous Next »

Sideshot Ranch
Weanling
Username: Sideshotranch

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so breeding season is almost done this year - along with these mares' SUPER long cycles! Hopefully, we are done, but we may have a few more to go. We collected the last few days, and I noticed that a lot more sperm than usual are dead in there. There are stiff, straight as a board. The days are getting pretty hot, so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. The extender is right at 98 F (the same I have used all season). If they were dying because of heat or cold shock, they would be curling up right? - not out stiff and straight? . Once he ejaculates, I remove the filter immediately, take the collection straight inside and mix with the extender in the syringe. Then I immediately check the sperm under the microscope. Have done it this same way all season. I am just wondering if they are dead on arrival or if mistreatment might be killing them. I guess I need to check them before mixing the extender and then again after mixing. I just didn't know if this was typical for this time of year or is it something I might be doing.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ambient temperature may play a part, although is it also possible that as it is towards the end of the season you are not collecting him as regularly, and consequently he is not as "cleaned out" as he has been previously?

You also don't observe what percentages live/dead you are seeing. If your morphological evaluation is yielding >60% morphologically normal sperm, then you are still in the "normal" range.

Curled tails (tertiary abnormalities) tend to be seen with in-vitro (outside the horse) issues more that in-vivo (inside the horse) situations, although that is not absolute.

You can certainly try eliminating various items, or rather changing them, during your collection process - different lube, check AV lumen temperature, check the temperature of your microscope heated stage/slide warmer etc. I always encourage people to check the variables first before hitting panic buttons - they're easily changed, and most commonly the cause!

Sideshot Ranch
Weanling
Username: Sideshotranch

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard that when you slow down on collection, there are more dead, but we had to collect him 3 days in a row, so I figured by the 3rd day the dead ones would be cleaned out. As for the percentage, it is pretty close to 40/60 - the last 3 collections there have been way more dead than I am used to seeing - it almost looks like 50/50. I mean, the live ones are having issues because they are running into the dead ones when I look at them under the scope. As for the other variables, lube, temp of AV, temp of extender, type of extender, nothing is different. That is why I was wondering if the fact that they are stiff as a board and straight is any indication that they may be coming out of the horse dead as opposed to death from mistreatment once collected? If the heat of the AV was killing them would they still have that stiff/straight appearance?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contamination after, or being dead prior to ejaculation are the more likely reasons.

You can run a live-dead stain (e.g. eosin-nigrosin) to determine if what you are seeing are truly "dead".

Heat of the AV could however produce the same results if high enough and exposure long enough, or ambient temperature if there were a problem with testicular thermoregulation (e.g. not relaxing the testicles/scrotal sac in hot weather; or if the stallion were fat).

Chris Taylor
Weanling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manufacturers of INRA96 assert that the black rubber seals in most syringes are spermicidal. Another possible cause could be an excess of pre-ejaculate being detrimental to your collect.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most knowledgeable breeders are using all-plastic syringes I think. The killing effect from a regular syringe is associated with the lubricant placed on the plunger seal, not the seal itself.

Pre-ejaculate is not as likely to be a contributory factor as gel fraction.

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know wherre to post this question for sure.
What is the least viable motility one should expect for chilled semen. First shipment no swimmers. Shipped again today and stallion owner call to let me know that he was at 30% . He is a proven stallion, had a foal born this spring from shipped semen last year, but I think they mostly do live cover. They havent charged me for shipment yet but my vet bills are adding up fast on my end.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3201
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Percentage motility means nothing by itself, but people (including yourself apparently! :-)) get hung up on it.

It's the number of progressively motile, morphologically normal (PMMN) sperm in the dose that is the critical figure.

Think about it: If you're sent 10 billion sperm that is 10% progressively motile, then you have 1 billion progressively motile sperm (for the moment, we will ignore morphology and presume them all normal). If you're sent 1 billion sperm with 50% progressive motility, then you have 500 thousand progressively motile sperm. So which is better? 10% or 50% progressive motility?

Don't get hung up on percentages - look at the numbers!!

Also read this article - it should help. :-)

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks much for the info. All new to me but learning as fast as I can.

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article very informative, Thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US