SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pre breeding oxytocin

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Pre breeding oxytocin « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 65.138.1.230
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long do you wait to inseminate after giving oxytocin? Vet said 4 hours. Oxytocin protocal says there is uterine clearance in 15 to 30 minutes. One thread about urine pooling said 2 hours. CONFUSED.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10205
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the above are sort of correct :-)

The half-life of oxytocin in the body is about 12 minutes, and 5 half-lives - pharmacologically speaking - represent elimination from the body. Hence, after an hour [pharmacologically speaking] there is a minimal circulating level of the drug remaining.... however one has to take into account individual animal and environmental variations, so one would generally consider that 2 hours would be a minimum time to give reasonable expectation of elimination, and to be safe, we generally will not breed earlier than 3 hours after giving oxytocin if we can avoid it (and definintely not 2 hours). 4 hours is playing it very safe.

With reference to the oxytocin protocol article - the drug is active and the body responding (with uterine contractions) in 15-30 minutes - but that does not represent the entire duration of that response period, but the elapse time to response.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Thanks.
Now, I gave her oxytocin and HcG at 5:00 pm.(she has a 37mm folicle on the right and a 42mm on the left)I'm going to inseminate her between 8:00 and 9:00. Is it then correct to inseminate again 24 hours later, (after the 5:00 injections) and again at the 40 hour mark?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10206
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are following the timed insemination protocol, then the insemination times would be 24 and 40 hours after giving the hCG, so I'm a little hazy on why you are inseminating her so soon after giving the hCG...

And are you using fresh, cooled or frozen semen?

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fresh. Partly because I have help available tonight and may not the next 2 days. Am I creating a bigger problem this way? I'll get help some how tomarrow.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the vet told me to inseminate tonight because the semen would last for 48 hours. Is that correct?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10207
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... that's starting to make more sense :-)

Assuming the stallion has known fertility and sperm longevity, there is no point in insemination tomorrow (24 hours after the first) if you inseminated tonight. Inseminate again 48 hours later if needed - your vet is correct in that it is viable for 48 hours assuming all qualities being equal (i.e. fertile stallion). The more insemination that take place, the more the uterus is irritated, and the more chance of introducing a contaminant to the uterus.

Anonymous

Posted From: 65.138.3.24
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, well I know the stallion is fertile (we got his first colt this year), but I don't know about his longevity.
Ok, now you're going to think I'm a complete idiot...I inseminated her last night and when I pulled my hand out, I had a little bit of blood on my finger tips. this has never happened before. I'm assuming I probably scratched the cervix with the pipette. Do you think that is what happened and will the blood have any affect on the semen?
One more... My stallion had not been collected in a few days and he more than filled a collection bottle. We thought that was unusual for him. He's come real close to the top before, but never overflowed it like this time. Do you think some of it could have been the lubricant from the AV and if so, will that affect the semen. We inseminated the whole bottle. I've seen you and Kathy pour of the top of the bottle before but I don't know enough(as I'm sure you've gathered by now) to try that.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US