SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare A/I'd Twice...what are chances she took?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Mare A/I'd Twice...what are chances she took? « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! This is my 2nd breeding with AI...last time, vet inseminated, she ovulated by next day and confirmed in foal 15 days later. Stallion was local, and I picked up the fresh cooled semen and AI'd within 6 hours of collection. This time, I had to get semen shipped in from Michigan (I'm in FL). Stallion was collected 3/31 @ 10:00 and we inseminated 4/1 @ 11:30 am..first dosage....next day 12:00 pm, no ovulation, so we did the 2nd dosage, which was now over 48 hours since collected...however, it was stored in shipping container and placed in refridgerator per vet's instructions. Vet checked her Friday, she said she ovulated on one side, so one is better than none, she had some fluid, so she flushed her and treated her with two bags of a saline anit biotic...she was clean with the 2nd bag. I was also instructed to give her oxytocin for two days, and we would check her in 15 days for pregnancy. The semen report on day of collection was Volume 43ml; Concentraion 322.5 m/ml; Initial Motility 90%; Progressive motility 80%; I really don't understand this report, but I hope the semen was still active on the 2nd dosage...or is it possible the 1st dosage was still active when she ovulated by Friday? The stallion owner also asked the vet to fill out the motility report with each insemination, but she did not have any equipment with her to do that with and did not make it back to lab to have it tested....I hope this is not going to be a problem....any thoughts or help from anyone here? Do you all feel I have a good chance that the mare took and she could have conceived? Thanks, Kim

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update - mare is today, after 4 doses of oxytocin walking around and lifting tail and not urinating, but expelling fluid...is this what the oxytocin in supposed to do? Maybe she's still in her cycle...weird behavior I've not seen before...Kim

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're better off not getting into the "do you think she's pregnant" game. You'll know for sure in about 15 days when you have her ultrasounded, and all you'll do is drive yourself nuts in the meantime with the game playing otherwise! :-)

As far as the current behaviour - remember that a mare will still display estrus-behaviour ("heat") until progesterone is adequately elevated to prevent such behaviour, and that progesterone comes from the Corpus luteum that forms in the area where the ovulated follicle was located, and takes up to 2 days to develop adequate luteal tissue to produce enough progesterone to stop estrus display. In other words, estrus display (which is probably what you are seeing) is perfectly normal for a couple of days after ovulation.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos! I just am a worry wart I guess and am hoping for the best...financially and for peace of mind, I just hope this took first time...I was also worried when I saw her behaviour still acting like she was in flaming heat with the squatting and showing like she wanted to breed again...so you are so right as usual, wait and see....thanks for setting me straight and I'll just ignore her pretty much for two weeks and see what happens! Kim

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim...what stallion are you breeding your mare too? It sounds like you have done all that you can at this point...I will begin my pregnancy dance for you :-) So what day is D day and will you have her ultrasounded to see if she took...Sounds like you caught her at her optimum time.... Fingers and Toes crossed for you!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan: I bred her to Coronado WW, a Belgian Warmblood...great jumper! Apri 17th will be 15 days...so I'm just going to keep fingers/toes crossed...thanks for dancing for me! :-) Kim

Missy
Nursing Foal
Username: Missy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos I need your opinion on this insemination today. Mare was lavaged yesterday and inseminated today but the vet gave a small dose of Oxytocin at the time of insemination. I am totally confused as to why it was given at breeding time and not 4-6 hrs later?? Can she still conceive or was the semen pushed out of the uterus right way? I am told he gave about 1/4 cc on a 1200 lb mare? Would teasing her with a stud produce the same affect as giving the oxytocin at the time of breeding?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the standard use of oxytocin during a breeding cycle is to use 10 IU (typically ½ ml) a minimum of two hours before or four hours after breeding; and as all the research I have seen indicates that the use of oxytocin at the time of breeding does not assist pregnancy rates, this is probably a question best asked of your veterinarian...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US