SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Live Cover Breeding Dilemma-Emotional Stallion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Live Cover Breeding Dilemma-Emotional Stallion « Previous Next »

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 667
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, oddly enough, I am having an issue in regard to my stallion and re-breeding my mares under live cover.

My stallion is currently running with my last mare who foaled. He re-bred her on foal heat and it was successful. This mare currently has a filly on her side. "Daddy" is quite smitten with this mare and filly, displaying typical herd behavior by being quite protective.

My other two mares have colts by their side. We have been attempting to re-breed them. We turn him in with them every three days to test for heat cycles and reception. We put the colts in a round pen in that field to reduce any incidence of challenge by the fact that these are colts. It also keeps my mares subdued and receptive when they can "hang out" by their babies.

He usually trots up to the mares and does his typical stallion inquisitive behavior. When they're not in heat, the mares just ignore him and walk away. He in turn, then walks away and if no action is happening, he is turned back out with the mare & filly. (These horses all run together for the majority of the year, other than foaling time and nursing time.)

The issue now: One of these mares is full standing heat and is loudly exhibiting receptive behavior. He has yet to breed her. Last night, he made himself silly fretting about the mare & filly (who is NOT in heat) and is visually right next to this field. He was frantic to get back to them and although he took some notice to the mare in heat, he only attempted twice to mount her. In the middle of mounting, he would not complete the process and back off of the mare and frantically go back to pacing the fence line.

Any suggestions? If I remove the mare and filly from his site, he totally goes bonkers and has no interest at all in the mares ready to be bred. Has he just emotionally attached himself to this mare and filly so much that he has lost interest in breeding the other two? He has successfully bred them in previous year??? What's up with him this year?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, can you put the mare with filly in with the two mares to be bred? That'd help reduce his anxiety about keeping an eye on them, wouldn't it?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about that Diana but here's my concern, Lena is such a protective mom that I'm afraid to add to the commotion by re-introducing them all together. Even though they can touch each other over the fence lines (and do) I just didn't want to increase the odds that the two mares in heat would start chasing after Lena's foal resulting in a major "plethera" of disaster. LOL! I might be over analyzing this and being too paranoid. It was Blossom (one of the mares in heat) who about killed JJ when he was born (she is a merciless alpha). I'm going to try again today and see what happens.

Such interesting behavior and I've not had this issue before. He usually is "best buddies" with whoever is in heat...what a stinker he's being! (Kinda ruining my time line for next year...wanted to get them all bred within 45 days of each other so that my foals were synchronized...LOL...should have known someone would throw a wrench in there!)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, did you get them bred?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: It was really strange. He finally got interested in Echo on Friday. And, she finally, after a bit of a tussle, allowed him to mount her. But, she was my mare that ripped so bad during delivery, he could not fully penetrate her. So, I don't think we got the job accomplished. A vet call is on order. When she had originally tore so bad, my vet thought we may end up having to go back and do some minor surgery repair if she developed alot of scar tissue. He had followed her up after she had healed and thought we were ok as far as breeding goes (and it doesn't appear on the outward that there should be an issue) but obviously there is something where he could not get through the door so to speak.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US