Post Number: 47
|Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 03:01 pm: ||
I see everywhere threads about the vet not wanting to pinch a twin, because they were too close together, waiting to see if one died naturally, and quite often resulting in birth/abortion of twins with all the complications that goes with it;
now, I don't have a vast experience in this, only had the case twice, in both cases, I couldn't separate the vesicles, so tried to crush one anyway with the ultrasound probe, and both times, one burst and not the other, I checked a few days later for one vesicle, and both ended with the birth of a single live foal;
it was clear in my mind that there were only three possibilities :
- both vesicles burst, mare returns to heat
- prostaglandin, mare returns to heat
- one bursts, time and money saved;
so what's the big deal with this ?
if you wait too long and both twins are still present after day 35, you face a very difficult problem eliminating one,
Jos and all, what are your experiences/thoughts on the question ?
Post Number: 2075
|Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:48 pm: ||
If the pregnancy check is performed prior to fixation at 16 days, which it should be, then even if there are twins that are touching it's not an issue as they can be manipulated apart and one crushed.
In my mind the error is to not check suitably early, not that pinching is not performed.
Post Number: 4
|Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 03:05 pm: ||
I agree with Jos. I have amare that twins every year and last year they were very close together. Because we scanned at 13 days we managed to manipulate them apart and pinch one. it did take some time to do this but the mare went on to have a very healthy foal