I apologize if this question has already been asked - I am new to this Bulletin Board. I have a mare that has proven to be difficult to get in foal. She started her latest cycle last week with a 30mm follicle on Monday. We checked on Wednesday and she had a 35mm follicle. I gave her a 2500iu shot of Chorulon at lunch time on Thursday. Her uterus looked pretty good and she was showing a 40mm follicle on Friday. She was bred (A/I) on Friday - first dose in the afternoon and the second dose about four hours later in the evening. The problem is she was also showing a second follicle sitting at about a 30mm on Friday. We ultrasounded her again on Sunday and there was no sign of the first 40mm follicle. The second follicle is now starting to mature, her uterus is looking really good, and she's showing a good strong heat. So, we're thinking the first follicle was not viable (absorbed? dissolved?). So, we've ordered semen with the intention of breeding her again on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. The question is, do I give her another shot of Chorulon tonight or not? The would still keep her under the 5000iu limit per cycle. But, what if the first follicle was viable and has been impregnated and we now have an embryo that may have been hidden on the ultrasound? What will happen to that embryo if I give her the hCG?
Thanks Jos. The main question I had today was whether or not to give her the Chorulon shot and that has been answered. I was worried that perhaps a second shot of Chorulon might cause her to expel an impregnated follicle that was missed on the ultrasound. (Always second guessing my vet, myself, and the mare!!) Tomorrow we will do a physical check / ultrasound and decide if we should inseminate. Thank you very much for all your help. It is much appreciated.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: