SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

SIGNS OF HEAT AFTER AI BREEDING

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » SIGNS OF HEAT AFTER AI BREEDING « Previous Next »

DIANA MILLER
Neonate
Username: D5479

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE BREED MY MARE ON A WED. AM, ON >35MM FOLLICAL . THE VET TOLD ME TO GIVE HER 2CC LUTALYSE IM, AND 10 OF CHOROLON IV, AND AFTER 12 HOURS ONE MORE 10CC SHOT IV OF CHOROLON. SHE WAS SHOWING SIGNS OF HEAT , THURS. AND NOW STILL TODAY ON FRIDAY. DOES THIS ME AN SHE DIDN'T OVULATE. OR IS IT NORMAL FOR HER TO BE
ACTING THIS WAY? IS IT NORMAL TO SHOW SIGNS OF HEAT 2-3 DAYS POST OVULATION?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a couple of possibilities:
  1. Mares do not cease to show estrus ("heat") after ovulation until the CL that is formed in the space on the ovary vacated during ovulation of the follicle becomes active enough to secrete adequate levels of progesterone to suppress receptivity to the stallion (that's what causes mares to reject a stallion's advances). This quite commonly will take 24-48 hours.
  2. The mare has not ovulated. This may be equally possible given the information you provide. "Chorulon" (hCG) is marketed in the US in 10,000 i.u. vials that require the addition of (typically) 10 cc of sterile water diluent. The dosage for a 1,000-1,500 lb horse is 1,500-3,300 i.u., and typically 2,500 i.u. is given once in a cycle (i.e. there are 4 doses per vial of Chorulon). Overdosing - and 5,000 i.u. or greater has been suggested as being that threshold - has been seen to suppress ovulation. You indicate that you gave 2 x 10 cc of Chorulon. It will depend upon what concentration was in each of those doses as to the effect. If however they were 2 full doses (2 x 10,000 i.u.) suppression of ovulation is possible (which could cause continued estrus response).
One other point worthy of note is that the use of prostaglandin ("Lutalyse") in causing an ovulation has been suggested in research as causing a significant reduction in pregnancy rates (50% of those mare not treated). This research was actually looking at a rapid return to estrus response following treatment, so the exact same percentage and effect may not be completely relevant, but it's not something that I would want to risk when there are other proven products that do the same thing (hCG, Deslorelin etc.).

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOU ARE RIGHT ON HOW THIS DRUG IS SUPPLIED I WENT AND DUG UP THE VIALS. SHE HAD ME PICK THEM UP AT THE EQUINE HOSPITAL, TWO VIALS THAT I HAD TO MIX JUST LIKE YOU SAID ONE IV AFTER AI, AND ONE IV 24 H LATER. THIS MARE WAS SEVERLY OVER DOSED GOING BY YOUR YOUR INFO. I CAN'T BELIVE THAT SHE WOULD MAKE SUCH A LARGE MISTAKE IN A DRUG DOSE.I QUESTION HER FIRST ON THE LUTALYSE AS THIS DID NOT SEEM LIKE IT WOULD DO ANY THING AS IT STATES IT HAS NO EFFECT TILL 5 DAYS POST OVULATION. I ALSO QUESTIONED THAT THE CHORULON STATED THAT IS TO BE GIVEN IM BUT SHE ASSURED ME THAT IT WOULD BE OK IV. i GUESS MY QUESTION IS NOW IS CAN THIS OVER DOSE HURT HER, AND IS THERE ANY WAY SHE MAY STILL BE ABLE TO GET IN FOAL AFTER SUCH A MASS OVERDOSE? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT. I AM JUST REALLY WORRIED ABOUT THE HEALTH OF THIS MARE.

(Message edited by d5479 on June 06, 2008)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing to worry about is if it suppressed the ovulation. You might want to have the mare ultrasounded to confirm or refute ovulation.

IF the overdose did suppress the ovulation, then you will want to look at rebreeding her, and hoping she does ovulate naturally - I would strongly discourage you from using more hCG! :-)

If you elect to wait to rebreed on the next cycle, then you will have to follow her a little more closely, as if she does not develop a CL (the normal sequela of ovulation) there may be an issue with regularity of cyclicity. Only time will tell on that one.

If you do breed her on a subsequent cycle, then I would suggest use of Deslorelin to induce ovulation, not hCG. She is almost certain to be refractory to hCG for ovulation induction at least for the rest of the breeding season. You might want to stick with Deslorelin in the future too...

First things first though - check to see if she did or didn't ovulate, as you may need to rebreed.

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JUST A UPDATE SHE WENT OUT OF HEAT ON SAT. SO HOPEFULLY SHE OVULATED. I DIDN'T HAVE A ULTRASOUND DONE ON HER AFTER BECAUSE WE ARE NOT GOING TO BREED HER AGAIN TILL NEXT YEAR. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DM, I would have ultrasounded her anyway to make sure there weren't a twinning issue.

I hope she gets pregnant for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MARILYN, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH EVERY THING LOOKS GOOD SO FAR SHE HAS NOT SHOW ANY MORE SIGNS OF HEAT. WE WILL CHECK HER ON THE 20TH OF THIS MONTH.

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE SHE HAD HER ULTRASOUND AND SHE IS PREGNANT!!!! THNAK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yippee!!!! Congratulations to you on your mare's pregnancy DM! I'm so glad she came through for you!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DM~Congratulations! Very exciting :-)

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DM--Sending happy healthy vibes!!!!!!!

L

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you sooooo Much!!!!! I am so glad I found this site, it has really help me get rid of all my worries. everyone is so nice and very well educated.

That being said I have a question that worries me a little. The other day I turned her out with my gelding,and she went right up to him and struck out at him and kicked him, she looked like she was winking a little but still when he came up to her she kicked him. ....... Should I be worried???

Also is it ok to ride her a little???

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DM My pregnant mare will not only squeel and strick she also winks and urinates.
You can use your mare the same as you did before she was pregnant as long as you had her in shape.

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cathy

DM
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update we had her checked at 40 days and she is open we will try again next year. Thanks for everyones help!!!

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no DM, I'm so sorry to hear she slipped the pregnancy. :-( I wish you much better luck next year. My two didn't take this year either. We will try Marq one more time with a different stallion and if this doesn't work, she will have to be sold. We will keep Uh-O one more year, if she isn't able to get pregnant next year, she will have to be sold also.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US