SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallions first time

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Stallions first time « Previous Next »

cheri keddy
Weanling
Username: Pepsi

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a young stallion, and his first mare is ready for breeding, I introduced them and he courted her, nuzzled her, nickered at her etc, and she was loving it, getting herself into position etc for him, but he doesn't seem to figure out what he is suppose to do now

Is there anything I can do to help him

I lined him up from behind, and he just sniffed her, dropped and was hard, but no mounting took place

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How young is "young"?

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is almost 3

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he has figured it out now, BUT the only thing is he is 15hhs then mare is 15.2hhs and he can not seem to get far enough on her to actually get the job done

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 16.2h and the stallion I bred her to was 15.2h the stud owner took her down to a sloping hill in the barnyard so her front feet were downhill and her rear was at the top of the hill so the stallion was able to come right off the hilltop onto her back he had no problem like that, but on level ground it was not going to happen.

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, we will be tring that tonight when the hubby gets home

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
You can also try digging a big enough area so that the back end is lower than her front, I had a 15.2 mare that I bred to a 14.3 Stallion and did the same thing. Whata yeah laughing at IT WORKED!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry too much about that small height difference. I think you'll find the issues are related to him not being organized enough! :-)

Let him tease starting at the head end and work down toward the back end. If he wishes to mount before he gets an erection - as long as the mare is good - that is fine. Discouraging mounting without an erection can be a general discouragement (there are other posts on this board on that subject). If he wants to mount on her side, let him do so (again if the mare is good) - that is perfectly normal for a young colt. In fact, I would say that the majority of young colts want to mount from the side, and only after they get the hang of it do they start to mount from the back (and some never do). It's a safety issue from their perspective!!! :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 2 yr old mini stallion has just begun his first breeding year this year. And he did all the same things. I don't believe the size difference in your 2 horses is significant enough to make him "not reach" ...he just hasn't figured out what he's reaching for yet! You'll be surprised....once he reaches once....he'll be great at it! My mini stallion still mounts from the side, then moves around to the back. He is tiny (only 24.5") and breeds 30" mares, he stands on his toes...but he reaches!! I'm sure the side mount is because he's been kicked in the face a time or two by the big girls, and he's avoiding injury at all costs! Typically, when he mounts from the side, the mares turn and back into him anyway, so it's no big deal.

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we tried again last night, brought him in and he teased her and we moved her on to a sloped area, after mounting each side of her, he finally go on the right end The first time he came out mushroomed at the end We waited a few minutes until he was ready again, and we tried a few more times, not sure how it went. As I was trying to handle both mare and stallion, while my husband watch our son. Right after the last breeding she had a bowel movement, which kind of caught me off guard as she has never did this with her last breeding.
I will try again today

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told to take them away from each other to discourage her "peeing" and possiably lossing some of the seman. My stud is offly short and "small" and the mare didnt take the first time i kind of attribute it to not taking her away for a few mins. We jsut seperated them and troted her reallu lightly for about 5 mins and then put them back to gether to breed. we did this about 5 times one day! as long as they will both would take it, we let them just to get him the experience. FIRST YEAR last year. each time we would trot or walk her for about 5 mins inbetween. I dont know the truth but she pregers after we started this! It also helped him learn to concentrated as soon as she is gone I am all he has to think about. I all so make him wait for my signal and no rushing. Ive heard so many people getting hurt!

YOU NEED AN EXTRA HAND!!!! even if its some one not experienced. some one needs to be there with you!

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had success today :-)

I had a friend come out and help me with the breeding, we had the mare come down on a hill so he could get up on her. Worked like a charm

We did try to just breed them on flat ground, but he could not get close enough to her, he was about a foot away from penetrating her.
Once we got her going down hill, he was in like hot butter

Thank you all again for your help, and corina your right I needed the extra hands

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
Congratulations the young colts can be very trying.
In December I lost to colic my coming 3 yr old colt afew weeks after we trained him to the phantom. So Sparky (WelshxTB pony) got pushed into action a year early, he has just turned 2. Sparky had spent his life with another colt his age and was low man on the totoem pole. The other colt, Arnie (Arnold, the Terminator) was the stud muffin and Sparky was not that interested in the opposite sex. I seperated them and Sparky became top dog since he was by himself. The end January I turned him out in the paddock with the phantom, which he became very friendly with. At feeding time he would show off his mounting skills before coming up to be fed. The mare, Twiggy (WelshxTb) I wanted to breed to him had been cycling all winter (I'm in Florida) so we were just waiting for Sparky to come of age. A friend who usually helps me just could not make it over so we could train Sparky to the phantom in advance. Well the day finally came and I was by myself and I knew it was today or I'd miss her and have to wait. I wanted to collect him but knew better than to try it by myself, Twiggy is easy to deal with but did not wanted to take any chance of messing things up the first time. Sparky and Twiggy are both real easy going ponies (they are both 14.1 hands) so I put Twiggy (with tail wrapped) in Sparky's pasture. But Twiggy only had eyes for Jeffery, my 16.3 holstiener gelding who was in the next pasture. Who says size doesn't matter! She did not want anything to do with Sparky and was darn right nasty to him. While Twiggy was making eyes and breaking down to Jeffery, Sparky snuck in and did the deed, boy he is a smooth operator. That has on Good Friday, Sparky thought it was a pretty good Friday. Twiggy is in foal, 4 weeks along. I think the time he spent playing on the phantom paid off, now I have to put a new cover on the phantom but it was worth it.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to handle both mare and stallion I suspect that this is part of your problem. Remember that the first few sexual experiences for a stallion will set a pattern of behaviour for life, so you definitely want "all hand on deck" to make it run smoothly...

I was told to take them away from each other to discourage her "peeing" and possiably lossing some of the seman The stallions penis when breeding a mare penetrates into and even through the cervix, and when he ejaculates, he ejaculates at 35 mph and 70 psi, so the semen is immediately introduced into the uterus. Unless the mare stands up vertically after being bred, and umps up and down 2 or 3 times, she is not going to lose semen! In the event that the stallion has not penetrated into/through the cervix, and ejaculates in the vagina (which is abnormal in the equine), pregnancy rates are going to be very low no matter what you do.

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats helpful. again i didnt have you guys when i started i have a few hold time cowboys and thats what i was told. the first time we didnt do this and she didnt take then second time we did and she took! coincidence i guess!!!!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Unless the mare stands up vertically after being bred, and umps up and down 2 or 3 times, she is not going to lose semen!"
Oh the visual--that made me laugh out loud!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US