SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

First time breeding one of my horses...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » First time breeding one of my horses... « Previous Next »

Danielle Goerndt
Neonate
Username: Zcarabians

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 14 year old Arabian mare whom is in good health. I am breeding her this spring via AI. The stallion is right down the road. Anyways... my mare has not had a foal since she was 6. I called my vet to do a pre breeding exam. He only wanted to do an ultra sound... he said that was all that was needed. He said she has a very small amount of fluid and a small cyst. He said that he doesn't think she will take the first time and wants to put her on lutalyse to regulate her cycles... she has normal cycles though. He also wanted to give her something after she was bred to clean out her uterus after she is bred. I thought that sounded backwards. Wouldn't you clean out her uterus before she is bred? And wouldn't you do a psytology smear with a culture first to see if anything needed to be cleaned out??? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer a few questions I have...

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think she would need a smear and culture to check for possible infection. The medication he is probably talking about for after breeding is oxytocin which clears the uterus out from fluid caused by post breeding inflammation. That is completely different than an infection that may need antibiotics. Maybe what he was seeing was nothing of concern and that's why he recommended just the oxytocin? That's my guess anyway :-)

Melissa Brown
Neonate
Username: Mbrown

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always recommend getting a breeding soundness exam done on a mare that has been open for at least one season. And yes, a smear and culture should have been done. Fluid by itself is not necessarily bad and many mares have cysts. A small cyst will probably not get in the way of a pregnancy. Saying she won't take on the first try is a negative way of entering into a breeding progarm. I'm always leery of starting a hormone program unless it is necessary. Since the stallion is just down the road, you will have fresh semen and you do not have to worry about it arriving late or fedex losing it somewhere. So timing her cycle should not be a problem that needs regulated with hormones. Have you bred your mare before? Or have you purchased her since she has foaled last? If you did not own her at that time, perhaps you can find out her breeding/foaling history. You will find out very quickly if she needs the hormones. With that being said, Lutalyse is very hard on a mare!!! I use Lutalyse on my dairy cows. On a mare you would want to use Estrumate. (If she needs it) If during breeding, a mare that retains too much fluid does need "flushed" afterwards to expel all that extra fluid. I am guessing the vet is saying this because she already has a small amount of fluid in her uterus? It seems to me that your vet is making a lot of assumptions that occur in some mares, but might not even apply to yours. But you defintely should get a culture done on your mare. If she has a small infection, (and often times the mare won't even have a temperature or any other symptom of having an infection) any semen you put in the mare will be a waste and she will not get bred. Any money spent before hand is definetly worth it. Instead of throwing money down the drain on multiple breedings and a late foaling. Good luck

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US