SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mechanics of getting thawed semen into syringe

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Mechanics of getting thawed semen into syringe « Previous Next »

carole whelan
Neonate
Username: Milmom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am about to inseminate my stallion's frozen semen into a mare. A vet just told me that she would not draw the semen into a container first, then draw again into an insemination syringe because each transfer causes significant sperm death. She uses only the "gun", which only necessitates one transfer of each straw, even if using 5 straws. I have not been able to clearly understand the mechanics of how to best get the semen into the insemination pipette. Can I just draw each straw into one syringe and inseminate this multiple-straw insemination with one syringe and one pipette, if the syringe and pipette are kept at body temp?

Solo
Nursing Foal
Username: Solo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree that an insemination gun is the most efficient, however, if you don't have one...that doesn't do you much good!

Before guns were invented, most people I know would place thawed semen directly into a syringe. What worked best was to remove the plunger from the insemination syringe, place something over the tip of the syringe so the semen does not flow out. A sterile syringe tip cap or your clean (sterile) gloved finger would work. Cut one end off of each straw, place cut side down into the syringe and then cut the "other" end off so the semen flows directly into the syringe. Obviously, it's very important to keep the tip of the insemination syringe closed. Also wise to work over a clean surface.

Then, place the syringe plunger back at the opening of the syringe, snug enough to keep semen from coming out when you slowly point the tip of the syringe up. Then you can advance the plunger to remove air in the syringe. If you have not done this before, I strongly recommend you practice with water in another syringe. Also, for insemination you should use a syringe that is non - spermicidal, they do not have a rubber tip on the plunger.

Keep in mind, semen is damaged by exposure to air, temperature shock and light. Very important to keep these to a minimum.

This explanation is for insemination without extender. I'm assuming from your question, you are not placing the semen into extender...is this correct?

Do you know how to safely place the pipette through the cervix and into the uterus? This is very important. It is possible to severely damage a mare's uterus with an insemination pipette.

Do you know how to get the semen all the way through the pipette into the uterus?

Do you know how to properly clean and prepare a mare for insemination?

Will you use a speculum or a gloved arm?

If you have not inseminated mares before, I highly recommend you observe several mares being inseminated by someone who is very experienced, ask questions and be absolutely sure you know what you're doing.

Hope this is helpful and I wish you great success!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as the container that is being used to pool the thawed semen into is warmed to body temperature (and kept there); sterile; and made of an inert material (e.g glass or plastic) there is no reason why it should "cause significant sperm death"...

We routinely will pool semen into a warmed, sterile, 15-ml centrifuge tube or orange-stoppered Vacutainer, and then draw the semen into the pipette/syringe.

Using a standard bovine insemination gun to inseminate multiple straws required repeated removal and replacement of the gun/sheath in and through the cervix to reload each separate straw, and each time it is passed through the vagina and cervix it will pick up pathogens and transfer them into the uterus, which in my opinion represents a great threat.

If inseminating multiple straws and not wishing to pool the semen as described above, we would recommend use of Minitube's "Universal" insemination pipette, which does allow multiple straw insemination without repeated removal from the uterus. There is a concern about aspiration of air between straws, but with a little care that can be avoided.

carole whelan
Neonate
Username: Milmom

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both for your helpful comments. I have successfully inseminated fresh semen and am comfortable doing that. My concern was about the increased fragility of the frozen, which I have not inseminated before. and different recommendations I am getting on transfering it. One vet, who is very experienced with frozen, uses only an insemination gun in order to avoid an extra step/container. She says she does not draw out the insemination tube, but holds it in place in the uterus while she reloads each required straw in succession, in order to avoid repeated entry through the cervix and also exposure of the semen to air, another container. Another experienced inseminator says he finds the guns inconvenient and uses the method you describe. But the most interesting thing he said was to NOT have the water bath at 37C, but at whatever the ambient handling temperature would be, in order to avoid exposing the semen to varying temps. This would mean a cooler water bath thaw with one final increase in temp in the uterus. He says this has been extremely successful because the semen cannot cope well with up and down temp changes. I'd love to know what you think of this. Also, the sterile syringe, as suggested by Solo, seems to be close to eliminating one container by going directly to the syringe, yet it still exposes it to air.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US