SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Question re" timing "for breeding older maiden TB mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Methods » Question re" timing "for breeding older maiden TB mare « Previous Next »

John Lyons
Neonate
Username: Lyonsy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to the breeding business so please bear with me.

I have an intact very healthy 17 year old maiden TB mare that has had a detailed pre-breeding exam and uterine swab that showed her to be clear of infection. She cycles regularily, obvious heat has been noticeable each month for the last 3 months. I have bought a breeding from VA. I live in CA.

A few questions:

1. How should I time all the variables here?
2. Should I have the vet ultrasound her on/about May 21st (her approx next cycle) to see where she is follicle wise ?
3. If she is close to ovulating at that point how much time do I have to breed her AI given that with notification and Fedex it will be 2-3 days before I get the semen here from VA?

Many thanks

John

Sandra K. Kidder
Neonate
Username: Sandysz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi John, I just had my 6 year old Appy Mare AI'd. She was ultrasounded on Monday. I contacted the breeder, in Oregon. She collected on Tuesday early. It was sent out Fed Ex and I received it in Michigan at 10:20 am on Wed. She was AI'd at 11:30am and then again this morning. A tracking number is given to you from the breeder. I checked it and it said delivery would be at 10:30 am. Here's a high five for FedEx Hope that this helps. Sandy

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.223
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest for you to find out what days the breeder collects. This can vary and be an important point in your process. Some only collect on certain days, regardless of your mares needs.

Depending on when they collect, you may want to order semen on a 32-35 or request counter to counter service.

When you think she is ready to cycle, have an ultra sound and find out where you are. That way, you can better plan if and when you might need to ultra sound again to order the semen.

As with Sandra's experience, FedEx usually does a good job. The one time that they lost track of the semen, ( there wasn't any Sat. delivery, so be sure to check that out, it was in their storage waiting for Monday!)they opened the storage, and had a courier hand deliver it to the mare owner. You can bet that I wrote that guy a wonderful letter of appreciation!

John Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys. By the way what does 32-35 mean?

I am having a problem getting timely responses from the stallion owner on the east coast and it is annoying the heck out of me, given that I am new to this. I like to do lots of prep and I never like to leave anything to chance so knowing what days he collects is important given that she might be a little difficult to get pregnant.

Onward!

Cindy Geres
Neonate
Username: Sprucelane

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, 32-35 refers to the size of the follicle the mare is producing on her ovaries. The unit of measure in this case is millimeters. You may also see it refered to in cm ie 3.5 cm. We generally have our mare owners call for a collection when they have a 3.5 cm softening follicle. It is the busy season and most stallion owners are running off their feet right now. Being in different timezones can exacerbate the situation. What I generally tell my clients to do is to email me and at the same time call me. This way both avenues of communication at covered. I check my email more often than my voice mail, but email seems to be less reliable with delivery and what not. Good luck with this new adventure. I hope you have a good experience.

John Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had my mare ultrasounded last Tuesday and she is pregnant on the first try. We are still in the "iffy" zone but she might just settle. Thats the update!

John

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.63
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering about you! Why is the pregnancy iffy? Did everything look normal?

John Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vesicle was there but not very stable and did not have enough "tone" ie; solidity according to the vet. We could have been looking at her at anything from day 16 - 18 as we inseminated her twice and do not know when she actually concieved. He said, as a maiden and a 17 year old, she could lose it as a matter of course so we put her on Regumate to suppress her heat which was due early this week. We will ultrasound again on Tuesday to see if a heartbeat is present and to see if even the vesicle is still present.

John

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.63
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This can happen, however, I would not consider it a matter of course for a 17 yr old mare. You may want to start the regumate earlier next time.

It may take some additional protocols, but barring any extreme physiological problems, being maiden and 17 is not insurmountable.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US