I have an older mare that has a caslics. She has been cultured/sencitivity and is clean. The vet that did this said not to take the caslicks out as she was able to get in to do the culture. I own the stallion and plan on breeding them soon. Has anyone ever bred with the clasicks in? Should I do it this way? What are the Pros and Cons of this?
Anonymous Posted From: 188.8.131.52
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:20 pm:
Do NOT live cover with a Caslicks. It cannot be done and will tear your mare badly. To my knowledge, there is no "Pro"...it simply cannot be done. Period.
If you have the Caslick's opened, then you breed, then when the mare is confirmed pregnant you can re-close it. But remember to have it opened again about 20 days before her due date or the foaling will tear her badly.
However, you could AI her that way, I believe.
MAA Posted From: 184.108.40.206
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:01 pm:
How far in advance would you have it opened?
Jos Posted From: 220.127.116.11
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:26 pm:
Breeding live cover with a Caslick's procedure may be possible, depending upon the degree of the Caslick's, the size of the stallion's penis, and how much he is inclined to thrust. It is the general practice to place a "breeder's stitch" at the bottom of the closed Caslick's prior to breeding. This breeder's stitch is generally thick catgut, or umbilical tape, and assists in preventing the ripping of the labia and the Caslick's.
If you plan on opening the Caslick's procedure prior to breeding, it should ideally be done no later than the day before to reduce the possibility of blood contaminating the semen during the breeding, although I know of many mares that have been bred immediately following opening of the Caslick's.
AI would be a better option though.
Note that the most critical period for uterine contamination post-breeding is prior to the cervix closing, so within the 2 or 3 days following ovulation. As the main purpose of a Caslick's procedure is to prevent uterine contamination of those mares that have poor reproductive conformation, it is therefore advisable to have the Caslick's put back in immediately following ovulation rather than waiting until the mare is checked in foal - if there is contamination occuring, you may be waiting a long time to check her in foal before putting the Caslick's back in!!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: